4WD - Pajero or Prado, or other?

Interestingly, Somersoft seems to be a good source of car information, so I thought I'd also give it a go and see what info I can get :)

I'm looking to buy a 4WD. My criteria:

• Needs to be able to tow > 2t (preferably more with a buffer) easily and safely. Downball weight is also important (so no small SUVs like Tiguans, Forresters, Evoques, etc..)
  • Needs to be decent to drive on road (more car like is better)
  • Will not be taken 'offroad' (but needs to cope with steep, slippery boat ramps - hence 4wd)
  • Used (no younger than 4 - 5 years, no older than 7 years)
  • Not too flash
  • Reliable
  • Flexible on budget, but say 25 - 30k would be a good starting point
  • will be driven around 5 - 10k kilometres per year, so low usage (second car)
  • low(ish) depreciation

My current thinking is:

Pajero Diesel > Prado Petrol > Pajero Petrol > Prado Diesel

This is based on reviews, the older prados apparently have slugish diesels (96kw only I think) and the new ones are a bit more expensive than pajeros.

The other option I've looked at is a 2006 - 2008 Touareg (for a kew more $k), more refined and more powerful motor, but I'm assuming these will turn into money pits (like X5's etc..) as they age. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks in advance.

I owned a Toureg - great cars, well made (when you closed the doors it left like you are closing the doors to a jet plane) but you are right they are money pits. Servicing them hurt a lot which is why we changed.

Regards

Shahin

I owned a Toureg - great cars, well made (when you closed the doors it left like you are closing the doors to a jet plane) but you are right they are money pits. Servicing them hurt a lot which is why we changed.

Regards

Shahin

Thanks Shahin.

How expensive are we talking, did you have to "replace" any items, or just regular servicing, and how old when you got rid of it?

I've got two VWs at present (one a GTI which I'll keep) and am a big fan. But they are both quite new hence too young to develop any problems. The regular servicing costs are not too bad - its the failure items which scare me and I haven't had any of these yet, and will flick the GTI before it gets to that. The 4WD will be an older car though (don't want something nice and new for the intended use).

Does it have to be a wagon? I have a dual cab Navara D40 2009 turbo diesel.

It goes well, drives more like a car than my old Pajero did. It's pretty quick for an agricultural vehicle ;) and there's tons of space inside. The rear bench seat flips up so you have a stack of rear space if need be, oh, and there's a dirty great tray out the back for all your boat gear!

Had mine since new, never skipped a beat. Very versatile, love it. Not sure on used prices but I'd guess a 3-4 year old would be on budget and it has 2wd/4wd switchable and low ratio if needed.

Does it have to be a wagon? I have a dual cab Navara D40 2009 turbo diesel.

It goes well, drives more like a car than my old Pajero did. It's pretty quick for an agricultural vehicle ;) and there's tons of space inside. The rear bench seat flips up so you have a stack of rear space if need be, oh, and there's a dirty great tray out the back for all your boat gear!

Had mine since new, never skipped a beat. Very versatile, love it. Not sure on used prices but I'd guess a 3-4 year old would be on budget and it has 2wd/4wd switchable and low ratio if needed.

The wife says no to a ute. I think that is her only stipulation :rolleyes: hehe..

Assume you can't get the Navara in wagon body?

the older prados apparently have slugish diesels (96kw only I think) .

I had one of the earlier prados. It went fine, despite the pathetic apparent KW they make. I think kw in diesels are meaningless, it's the torque they make that's important, and that is heaps. Got a later prado, and on paper it doesn't make much kw either, but it goes great. As good as the petrol when not towing, and better when towing.

I'd get a Toyota, but I'm way one-eyed.

See ya's.

We upgraded our 2001 Pajero last year. We purchased it second-hand in 2006 and apart from a flat battery it never really missed a beat.

You get more gadgets than the similar priced Prado but the build quality isn't as good. Had a fair few rattles (& it was very low kms) with a lot of road noise transmitted because the vehicle doesn't have a chassis.

If towing you may want to factor in the price of fitting some airbags to the rear coils as well.

I own a Touareg. Incredible car.
A choice of a 5 cylinder diesel, or if your boat weighs the same as the QE2, there's the V10 twin turbo diesel with 750Nm of torque!

I own a Touareg. Incredible car.
A choice of a 5 cylinder diesel, or if your boat weighs the same as the QE2, there's the V10 twin turbo diesel with 750Nm of torque!

They are a very good car.

A guy I do work with just picked up a vw amorak. He's really impressed with it. Great economy and performance.

Edit. I run a 2011 golf r as my daily. It's cheaper to run than my dads outback. Not that expensive outside of the dealer network.

The wife says no to a ute. I think that is her only stipulation :rolleyes: hehe..

Assume you can't get the Navara in wagon body?

The Pathfinder is very similar, sort of looks like a wagon Navara but I'm pretty sure the chassis is different. Not sure what engines they use. Nice cars though.

Emma also said no to a ute, so I just made sure I got the special edition one so it looked a bit nicer :p

awd territory should do that

we have a patrol and a navara dc , the Territory will do the same task IF you dont want offroad.

Doesnt have the low range though, and thats where a proper 4wd works well

ta
rolf

Interestingly, Somersoft seems to be a good source of car information, so I thought I'd also give it a go and see what info I can get :)

• Needs to be able to tow > 2t (preferably more with a buffer) easily and safely. Downball weight is also important (so no small SUVs like Tiguans, Forresters, Evoques, etc..)
  • Will not be taken 'offroad' (but needs to cope with steep, slippery boat ramps - hence 4wd)
  • Not too flash
  • Reliable
  • low(ish) depreciation

My current thinking is:

This is based on reviews, the older prados apparently have slugish diesels (96kw only I think) and the new ones are a bit more expensive than pajeros.

The other option I've looked at is a 2006 - 2008 Touareg (for a kew more $k), more refined and more powerful motor, but I'm assuming these will turn into money pits (like X5's etc..) as they age. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks in advance.

Oh I wanted to say Toyota FJ Cruiser but I don't think they are old enough for your criteria

15k5g-toyota-fj-cruiser-hero-749x422.png

I have a pajero exceed in the diesel,
It is a dream to drive on or off the road,

Don't be tempted to buy the petrol,it is very thirsty.
They will be the ones with the low k's and a lot cheaper than the diesel.
I have attached the best tow vehicle book that I scanned for you,

Attachments

• best tow vehicles 144dpi.pdf
    11.3 MB · Views: 139

• Not too flash
  • Reliable
  • low(ish) depreciation
My current thinking is:

Thanks in advance.
2 TON is a bit on the high range ,if you were to look at the mercedes 4x4
then as most of them in the 6 year old range then they could also be value,because all s/hand cars hit the bottom value range and stay within that price range,mercedes is no different and with the new models that are about to come out there is a lot of value in s/hand mercs,and if you want to most can sprint to 100k/h in 5.2 seconds..

Last edited:
One of my best friends has a Volkswagen Toureg with the V10 turbo and it's the biggest piece of junk he's ever owned. He bought it second hand (4 years old), and has spent over $30k in repairs. It's now sitting in his back yard with a blown turbo and another estimated repair bill of $16k.

My father in law changed to a Pajero turbo diesel after having two Land Rover Discovery 4WDs, both of which were badly made and unreliable. The Pajero is 8 years old and has never missed a beat.

As far as I'm concerned, Japanese 4WDs are the only ones to get.

As an alternate, have you thought about a second hand Holden Statesman V8? I believe they tow over 2 tonnes with the proper setup, and are cheap as chips to own and run.

Speaking from practical experience here. I have towed horses around with all sorts of 4WDs (and a few sedans too) over the years. Get a Toyota. A fuel guzzling F truck is also great if you want to go pro and fly up hills doing long distances etc! Toyotas also seem to hold a much higher resale values:).

I have a pajero exceed in the diesel,
It is a dream to drive on or off the road,

Don't be tempted to buy the petrol,it is very thirsty.
They will be the ones with the low k's and a lot cheaper than the diesel.
I have attached the best tow vehicle book that I scanned for you,

Hi Pa1nter,

Thank you so much for taking the time to scan and post that. Great read and very useful.

May I ask, did you test drive any other 4WDs prior to purchasing the Pajero? You sound very pleased with the Pajero, would be keen to hear what other cars did you test and rule out and why.

Thanks again.

One of my best friends has a Volkswagen Toureg with the V10 turbo and it's the biggest piece of junk he's ever owned. He bought it second hand (4 years old), and has spent over $30k in repairs. It's now sitting in his back yard with a blown turbo and another estimated repair bill of $16k.

My father in law changed to a Pajero turbo diesel after having two Land Rover Discovery 4WDs, both of which were badly made and unreliable. The Pajero is 8 years old and has never missed a beat.

As far as I'm concerned, Japanese 4WDs are the only ones to get.

As an alternate, have you thought about a second hand Holden Statesman V8? I believe they tow over 2 tonnes with the proper setup, and are cheap as chips to own and run.

Wow, that is unbelievable. Did VW acknowledge any fault or did he push them to help out (even if out of warranty, 4 years old is a young car still). That is exactly why I'm looking at Japanese cars - 46k in repairs all in, thats true horror movie stuff :eek:

I did think of a 2wd car like a statesman or similar, but want 4wd for one ramp in particular which I use a bit (gets algae on it at low tide, and have seen cars spin wheels and also have seen aftermath, but never the actual events, of cars slipping and falling back in - dont want to be that guy!!)

Back