50% of First Home Owners from 2009 in Trouble

According to a finance expert on the 7.pm Project, 50% of the people who took up the FHOG are having some sort of financial problems with their mortgage. I'm not sure how accurate that is but that sounds worrying for the market as this sort of thing happened in the USA before the crash there. Of course there is a lot of housing demand here but with more interest rate hikes tomorrow and continuing through this year every month or two it could be hard for some people.

There is always someone out there with an opinion. If you listen to every opinion you will never be able to make an investment decision.

Look at your own financial situation, look at your own goals, look at your own investment time frame and then make a decision, yourself accordingly.

From my perspective, if this is true hopefully the banks will quickly reposess the 'problem' mortgages and onsell the properties whilst the market is still strong, preferably with lower LVR ratios.

If people cant make their repayments, thats not my problem, if banks have insufficient asset cover that effects the whole financial system and becomes my problem.

i was having a laugh at a newspaper article regarding this last week. apparently - according to the journalist/researcher - the poor young dears are in mortgage stress with many of them not being able to afford new furniture, carpet or curtains.

well, my heart bleds (NOT).

only 20 years ago, when bought my first house - an unwanted 3/1/1 spec home on the side of an unlandscaped cliff - my dining suite for many years was a card table and two directors chairs. my tv was a wee black and white caravan job. i didn't get carpet over the unfinished chipboard floors for 2 years (and even then it was el-cheapo). the lounge chairs were pulled from an elderly friends basement ... blah blah blah.

what a bunch of whinging whimps.

i was having a laugh at a newspaper article regarding this last week. apparently - according to the journalist/researcher - the poor young dears are in mortgage stress with many of them not being able to afford new furniture, carpet or curtains.

well, my heart bleds (NOT).

only 20 years ago, when bought my first house - an unwanted 3/1/1 spec home on the side of an unlandscaped cliff - my dining suite for many years was a card table and two directors chairs. my tv was a wee black and white caravan job. i didn't get carpet over the unfinished chipboard floors for 2 years (and even then it was el-cheapo). the lounge chairs were pulled from an elderly friends basement ... blah blah blah.

what a bunch of whinging whimps.
Yes I couldn't agree more. It seems that a lot of people just want to impress their friends. Maybe they also need the latest XBox & games, a huge Plasma and Cable TV... :rolleyes: don't forget the family car too, has to be a brand new 35k+ with all the mod cons...

I'm living in basic conditions here, just in a half renovated home with a fold up outdoor table for my dining table, nothing fancy and just trying to sell everthing anyway so I can head off to Asia and save money by living in even more basic conditions :)

Got to agree Lizzie. When I left home I had a bed, a fridge that I bought secondhand (it was about 50 years old) a small b/w TV and when I saved enough to buy a colour one, I decided to buy a VCR instead, as I was used to seeing the B/W, but wanted the convenience of the VCR.

Incidentally, as most of you know, Lil moved out just recently and has a completely furnished place (all her own furniture). We found a place called Freecycle where people advertise things they no longer want/need. Everything is free. Brilliant for those just starting out. What she has is not new (except the vaccuum). It is not modern either, but it is serviceable and will give a helping hand to someone who wants to make it on their own.

In the space of around 3 weeks, we found a lounge, TV stand, dining table, fridge, washing machine etc. She already had a heap of kitchen appliances and some manchester, but people were giving these items away too.

like that.

Attachments

• FHOs.jpg
    FHOs.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 76
Back