50k price change in a week !!!!

Hi
I have been keeping my eye on a unit close to where I live and it came on the market at the price of $290,000 plus. The open day was today and it looks to be a good reno project at that price however the agent has now put it up to $339,950. Do you think it would be still ok for me to put an offer in at the lower price or will this be laughed at. I would not put an offer anything over the original price. What everyone's thought on this price change?

Cheers
Janine

Hi
I have been keeping my eye on a unit close to where I live and it came on the market at the price of $290,000 plus. The open day was today and it looks to be a good reno project at that price however the agent has now put it up to $339,950. Do you think it would be still ok for me to put an offer in at the lower price or will this be laughed at. I would not put an offer anything over the original price. What everyone's thought on this price change?

Cheers
Janine

They always wanted 340

and the 290 was pure bait

ta
rolf

Hi

Cheers
Janine

I never think any offer is too low or laughable. There are many properties whose final selling price were millions below the original listing price. So go for it. Offer $289000

... a unit ... came on the market at the price of $290,000 plus... the VENDOR has now put (the advertised price) up to $339,950.

Hello Janine

Welcome to the Forum

What has your due diligence told you that the property would realistically be worth in the current market conditions?

What other properties have you inspected over the past three months and what have they sold for?

You have said that you would not offer more than $290,000. Why not? What information do you base this arbitrary price on?

What is your interest in the property? As an investment, as a principal place of residence, as a renovation project, for a relative to live in, etc?

If you have been 'keeping an eye' on the market then you would know that different estate agencies favour different types of marketing styles, and vendors generally choose the agent which best reflects their own approach

The Agency has initially advertised the property at $290,000+. It is now advertised at $339,950. These are two distinct styles of marketing. This would indicate that the Vendor has instructed that Agent to advertise the price the Vendor wants to achieve.

What is the discounting margin for the post code? If the property is advertised at $339,950 and if the post code has a discount margin of 5% then the Vendor could expect to achieve eg about $323,000

When we are vendors, we are adamant that we won't sell for less than $x

When we are buyers, we are adamant that we won't buy for less than $y

Neither of these attitudes will bring home the bacon. The vendor can only sell to a willing but not anxious buyer and a buyer can only buy from a willing but not anxious vendor

If either party is not really interested or intractable on some imagined price or condition of sale then a lot of dust can be kicked up but nothing will actually happen.

If you are willing but not anxious to buy, then you must be prepared to do a bit more due diligence than 'standing your ground' and getting upset at marketing techniques

The property is not for sale 'to you'. The property is For Sale on the open market.

Good luck, but if you want to be successful then make sure that you are properly informed and enter negotiations in a respectful and businesslike manner. You may recall that the original advertised price was a price indication, not a specific amount, so if you start negotiations with an offer of $290,000 you may need to be prepared to go to quite a bit above this, and if any other buyers throw their hat in the ring, to top their offers as well.

And equally, the vendor is not obliged to accept any price at all. With the market as generally lack lustre as it is now, many vendors may test out the market for a set time but if there are no tempting offers, decide to withdraw the listing and try again in six months time when the market may be more robust.

So it all comes down to whether you are genuinely interested in buying the property or not. If you are, then go for it. Historically, there may never be a cheaper time to buy than now.

Hope this helps
Kristine

Unfortunately some agents advertise $290,000 + The plus sign leaves the price open and as someone else said "as bait" to get you interested, or they advertise $290,000 - $339,950 or "closer to $339,950". Obviously the vendors wanted something at the higher scale. Seems Victorian agents are doing exactly the same as the agents here in Perth!

Unfortunately some agents advertise $290,000 + The plus sign leaves the price open and as someone else said "as bait" to get you interested, or they advertise $290,000 - $339,950 or "closer to $339,950". Obviously the vendors wanted something at the higher scale. Seems Victorian agents are doing exactly the same as the agents here in Perth!
I did a bit of research a few months ago on advertised and selling price in Brisbane and quite a few with eg. from $400,000 were selling for $390,000. The properties were 10 - 20 k's from city. It was my experience also when I sold a property in Perth a few years ago, (advertised from $360,000 and got a few offers for $350,000 firm) but looking back my expectations were too high, so maybe agents use that tactic for vendors like me??

I never think any offer is too low or laughable. There are many properties whose final selling price were millions below the original listing price. So go for it. Offer $289000

At least you're consistent; everyone talks of the normal; you drag out the elite and try to make it normal.

The only way a house that is now asking $340k (after originally asking $290k will sell for $290k is if their situation miraculously changed and they are about to be foreclosed/bankrupt/divorced and absolutely HAVE to sell NOW.

If this was the case, they wouldn't put it up, they'd drop it further, don't you think?..

At least you're consistent; everyone talks of the normal; you drag out the elite and try to make it normal.

The only way a house that is now asking $340k (after originally asking $290k will sell for $290k is if their situation miraculously changed and they are about to be foreclosed/bankrupt/divorced and absolutely HAVE to sell NOW.

If this was the case, they wouldn't put it up, they'd drop it further, don't you think?..

Agreed but you can always try your luck. You have to be in it to win it.

Maybe the agent listed it at the wrong price initially, and the vendor's only discovered after a week? Or they discovered straightaway but the agent took a week to fix his/her mistake?

Maybe the agent listed it at the wrong price initially, and the vendor's only discovered after a week? Or they discovered straightaway but the agent took a week to fix his/her mistake?

When selling a property a few years ago the agent advertised the property before he had even discussed price with me - $30k less than I wanted.

There are many occasions that even REA don't know the real price of the property and make an educated and sometimeslessthan educated guess. And after a few OFIs, they realize they have either over or under estimated the market/price given the feedback that the market is giving them.

However, typically, this happens for more unique properties where valuation is more problematic.

Under quoting is common... changing the advertised price higher is not.

One thing to consider is that the agent may have received an offer which is now represented in the listing price.

In Victoria, the RE agent by law has to change the advertised listing price to represent a rejected offer if that offer is higher than the initial asking price.

If that's the case they wouldn't accept your lower offer unless:

a) the property flops at auction
b) the other buyer loses interest and no other buyers can be found at that level.

One of the tactics we use to combat under quoting agents is to make a higher offer but one that is still lower than what the vendor wants.

It then affects their advertising campaign, making the property less competitive and therefore increasing our chances to secure the property later for less than we initially offered.

Under quoting is common... changing the advertised price higher is not.

I've noticed this on several occassions recently around my local area. Agents are listing properties at amounts which are obviously too low, hold an open and then increase the advertised price. I suspect it's more of a tool to get people through the door at the first open, rather than not knowing what it's worth, as anyone who is reasonably familiar with the market could tell they were way under priced initially.

Back