$85k pa and living pay chq to pay chq

Yup, rather his explanation in detail is somewhat less convincing, compared to earlier boasting statements

Haha well it goes to my earlier point.

It's all really simple stuff. The formula to wealth and success has not changed for centuries.

Anyway enough from me on this topic. Obviously very sensitive and some people are either angry or upset. That's why they say tall poppy is big issue these days and holding back progress.

Many young people my age who I know well have done far better than me.

Forums are a strange place. If you come here to impart knowledge people either challenge you, interrogate you or try to pick holes in what you say. At least I hope some people found the posts more useful and tried to make something out of them.

There are many people willing to offer $100 per hour. You do know Melbourne has 4.3 million people. You only need to find 10. Open your eyes. Think big.

Making claims that are well outside the norm are going to be challenged.

I think that is common sense, rather than blindly accepting what some anonymous person on the internet says as fact.

I think that is common sense, rather than blindly accepting what some anonymous person on the internet says as fact.

True but I get what Deltaberry is saying, maybe it's because this forum is basically made up of people who want to get ahead in life but some times it does feel like there is a bit crab basketing and jealousy going on. Like people can't accept someone is doing better than them and they want to one up you with their opinions no matter what. It's a competitive environment like it or not. A lot of people will aspire to be at the level of income Deltaberry has and Deltaberry probably aspires to have a level of income that one of his friends has which people here may find unfathomable.

Haha well it goes to my earlier point.

It's all really simple stuff. The formula to wealth and success has not changed for centuries.

Anyway enough from me on this topic. Obviously very sensitive and some people are either angry or upset. That's why they say tall poppy is big issue these days and holding back progress.

Many young people my age who I know well have done far better than me.

No one is angry or sensitive about your accomplishments, everyone for their own for that matter, in fact, no one really cares. but when you are making claims over and above the norm, (e.g.: 80k as a student), you will be challenged, simple as that

Good for you!!

True but I get what Deltaberry is saying, maybe it's because this forum is basically made up of people who want to get ahead in life but some times it does feel like there is a bit crab basketing and jealousy going on. Like people can't accept someone is doing better than them and they want to one up you with their opinions no matter what. It's a competitive environment like it or not. A lot of people will aspire to be at the level of income Deltaberry has and Deltaberry probably aspires to have a level of income that one of his friends has which people here may find unfathomable.

And then there are others that are grateful for what they have.

Buddha said:
Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.

Cheers Spades.

There are plenty ways an enterprising student could easily make 80K a year. Most of them are either illegal or immoral :rolleyes: however I do remember reading about a young entrepeneur who packaged uni necessities into a bundle and and onsold them to other students. Its amazing how much people will pay for convenience.

No jealousy at all.

But to make claims that a pretty high number of students are on 80k+ a year, when that is above average income, is going to be questioned.

As I said, I was on good money for a student, and was comfortable. But talking about income levels that many people will not see in their employment career as being not uncommon for students is going to raise questions.

The 150k+ conversation I don't have an issue with. My BiL is in that category so I know full well both what they earn and also the amount of time and pressure that is at work, and don't envy them for that.

With regards to the salaries mentioned, I think if you move in certain professional circles then $100k+ salaries certainly are common and nothing to ride home about, but I woudn't think they are ''common'' amongst the broader public in all sorts of occupations.

And the same goes for $80k+ student salaries, though I would think this would be even less common.

You are a complete failure Ideo. I was on 11k as a new born, by kindy 27k a year. Pull you're finger out.
LOL!

"We used to live in shoe box in middle of the road....."

(Monty Python - "Four Yorkshiremen" for all those under the age of 45 - bound to be a YouTube clip of the sketch) :D

Why do they always drop the "the" in their dialogue, those Yorkshire folk?

I'd AK47 you for your spelling and punctuation, but it's beer o'clock, so cheers, all. :D

I think I remember from a different thread, that DB got a TER of 100. If I as going to pay $100ph for a tutor, it would probably be to someone like that. Likewise, if someone was going to land a plum internship or graduate position with an investment bank, I have no doubt it would go to a super-high achiever. Especially if said achiever also has social skills. Anyhow. I believe you DB.

I think I remember from a different thread, that DB got a TER of 100. If I as going to pay $100ph for a tutor, it would probably be to someone like that. Likewise, if someone was going to land a plum internship or graduate position with an investment bank, I have no doubt it would go to a super-high achiever. Especially if said achiever also has social skills. Anyhow. I believe you DB.
I can assure you not even db
Let alone Einstein can get 100 ter

That I can assure you

I can assure you not even db
Let alone Einstein can get 100 ter

That I can assure you

No one in SA has ever got 100 either. Thought it was just here.

Friends son who got a TER of 99.something and studied Mathematics at uni tutors maths at $25 per hour - doing something else now but still tutoring.

I should tell his mother to put his rates right up.

No one in SA has ever got 100 either. Thought it was just here.

Friends son who got a TER of 99.something and studied Mathematics at uni tutors maths at $25 per hour - doing something else now but still tutoring.

I should tell his mother to put his rates right up.

TER as in HSC? 3 people from my public school got 100 UAI in consecutive years. A number would get 99. something every year. Some of those started very successful tutoring businesses (they subbed out the tutoring until they got over their business).

How is it impossible?

TER as in HSC? 3 people from my public school got 100 UAI in consecutive years. A number would get 99. something every year. Some of those started very successful tutoring businesses (they subbed out the tutoring until they got over their business).

How is it impossible?

I said SA.

Even with 20's the highest score you can achieve is 95.95.

As for tutoring... starting a business and contracting out work can apply to any service, be it cleaning, walking dogs, mowing lawns, etc.

Not the same as an hourly rate, and takes up much more time than trading a few hours for money, something that is scarce and limits you somewhat when you're studying fulltime.

Nor is a business something you need a TER of 100 to do.

The other thing too is, if every student and his dog is tutoring why pay $100ph when you can pay $25ph.

I know 2 uni students tutoring maths atm and both charge $25ph (have previously know others to do so too).

I know 2 uni students tutoring maths atm and both charge $25ph (have previously know others to do so too).

Well last time I tutored I was charging $30 ph...but this was 6 years ago. I'm sure the rate has gone up a lot - $25 ph is robbing yourself.

Deltaberry's on the money here...

Anyone done a quick search on Seek? Just click the jobs over 150k+ and you'll see "IT" as the one with most positions available.

Graduate IT rolls today look to start in the 50k - 60+K range... Give them a year or two and they'd be off 'graduate' status and be on 100k+ total on target earnings with a commission component.

Senior Account Directors managing large enterprise accounts are on 300k+ packages. Over achieve and they could easily earn more than that.

It's a high-paced role, lots of hours, lots of responsibility and expectations to perform. If you're up for it, it's there... however it does take it's toll...

One of the boys in my son's year has just been made a Rhodes Scholar. Two of the six put up for this came from the same school. This is not an elite snobby school, so I think that is a pretty good result, and a big raspberry to the elite schools who think they are better :D.

21 year old neighbour, studying medicine has been tutoring for $40 per hour for a while, and one family has offered him $60 per hour to keep tutoring their two kids.

I just paid $84 for two hours ($168 for four hours) for our son in senior. This was with a tutoring agency so I'm guessing the young lady would have perhaps received $25 per hour (only a guess). The neighbour negotiates directly so keeps it all.

Back