95% LVR/Trust Structure/Quick Reno's.

Hello money bees!...(OMG, I sound like my mother....)
So my husband and I are finally ready to get a toe in the housing market but only just...
We've saved $28k and don't qualify for FHOG cos he's owned before. We're renting and happy to keep doing so for the meantime.
We're looking to buy a cheapee house, around the $225k mark, do a quick cosmetic reno & have it back on the market within 3-6 weeks to make a little profit hopefully. We want to do this repeatedly so at least 3-4 in a year.
I don't earn an income and my husband who is in the highest tax bracket, will keep working at his job while me and his dad tackle the reno.
Our accountant has said that ideally we would set up a discretionary trust and put the name of the trust on the purchase contract and the loan in my husbands name BUT we're trying to find out if anyone will do this at 95% LVR and if not, IF there's a way to have the loan in hubby's name and the title 99% mine & 1% husbands (tenants in common?) for tax purposes...and if not, IF we can borrow via credit card to fund the rest of the deposit to get to 20% LVR to buy in a trust? (we can't borrow any from family as we're the ones trying to break the poverty cycle!)
Due to the nature of my husbands employment, we need to apply for a pre approval ASAP (within a week) because he may be going back into a probationary period with a new job in a couple weeks, so anyone with the know-so, please help!
Thank you, thank you...

Do the first one in personal names until you have 20% equity. What you are trying to do is just too hard for a 95% loan.

If you live in the property for a while (a while being how long is a price of string) you won't pay any capital gains tax on profits. However if you them start to do this regularly then it's a business and profits would be taxable.

The other issue I see is it's not as easy as you think to make quick profits with the entry and exit costs with real estate (lmi, stamp duty, agents fees, legals x 2, bank fees, title fees). A buy to hold strategy may serve you better.

Marty

Thanks Marty,
Yeah, others seems to agree with you as far as buying in my husbands name to start with so that's what we'll do so thank you for your advice and for the caution too.
Will revise the numbers thoroughly before we jump into a project.

Have you considered a buy, reno, reval, and then rent out strategy? You can live in it while renovating, when done get a bank revaluation done and then use the increase in equity to fund the deposit on the next place. Hopefully your renovation is adding enough value to a place to try and get the place cash flow neutral or positive once rented out.

Just some food for thought.

Regards,

Jason

Back