A few Vacancies has got me scared!

ok, so I admit I had a few too many alcoholic beverages over the new years,

come the first business day of 2014, ive got 1 notice to leave at end of lease, 2 notices of termination for non payment of rent, 1 thats been vacant since xmas, 1 property thats been vacant for 2 months due to being a bad area and low demand, one call from an agent saying the plumbing has crapped itself, and I need it fixed or the tenant will leave, and you wont find a tenant as the vacancy rate has shot up.

to be frank, im a little scared now with so many potential vacancies, plus another one that is not rented as its been renovated

do I need to snap out of it? or am I being smart by being worried,
total Lvr is about 75%, cash flow positive slightly

I wouldn't STRESS too much right now.Keep a positive approach and see what happens.Ever heard the sayin its all or nothin.

Looks like my life the week before Christmas.

Back in October we got notice that all three lots of tenants were vacating, all received on the same day. I think I had an asthma attack.

Anyway it only took my PMs about two weeks to find new tenants, even in Gladstone. Group three we self manage, well until the 20th December we did. At first they arranged for the ex and the kids to move back in when hubby moved out. All sorted - then on the 16th December it came crashing down. I hired a PM and she tells me there are several enquiries so far awaiting the Open next week.

My Gladstone house - The remotes for the garage don't work but they were working fine when she did the exit report, the tap in the bathroom leaks and the down lights in the kitchen still don't work after the big storm in January flooded my ceiling. We gave the go ahead for repairs, not my fault if tradies suck in Gladdy.

My Scarborough property - We installed a new toilet ourselves between tenants, replaced two broken vertical blinds and the day after the new tenants moved in they informed PM that none of the ancient ceiling fans work. My electrician has gone on holidays but he will install new ones next week - we told the residents to crank up the air con in the meantime. Poor buggers, it's a heatwave here this weekend.

So much for going cash flow neutral a couple of days before all the maintenance requests came in.....

Breathe deeply Mate, this too shall pass. Remember that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. You can do this. If we both live through this, a rezoning or a development next year wont seem too hard .

we told the residents to crank up the air con in the meantime. Poor buggers, it's a heatwave here this weekend.
They breed 'em soft these days.
Some of us manage quite fine in Brisbane without them and have done for decades.
We haven't got ceiling fans either.

It will pass.

I have had up to 8 properties out of 15 vacant a couple of years ago.

Just stay on top of the agents. What areas are you places in? Hopefully not in mining areas....

ok, so I admit I had a few too many alcoholic beverages over the new years,

come the first business day of 2014, ive got 1 notice to leave at end of lease, 2 notices of termination for non payment of rent, 1 thats been vacant since xmas, 1 property thats been vacant for 2 months due to being a bad area and low demand, one call from an agent saying the plumbing has crapped itself, and I need it fixed or the tenant will leave, and you wont find a tenant as the vacancy rate has shot up.

to be frank, im a little scared now with so many potential vacancies, plus another one that is not rented as its been renovated

do I need to snap out of it? or am I being smart by being worried,
total Lvr is about 75%, cash flow positive slightly

It will pass.

I have had up to 8 properties out of 15 vacant a couple of years ago.

Just stay on top of the agents. What areas are you places in? Hopefully not in mining areas....

Nah not one of those high yielding mining ones, got a Wagga one, cessnock one, Bendigo, Rutherford, horsham

I had one in Maitland (Tenambit) near Rutherford...had to drop rent to $315pw from $355pw because if mining down turn.

If one of your properties is vacant for more than 2months you need to reduce the rent dramatically or upgrade the presentatoin of the property. If you agent has not recommend this...then sack them!

Nah not one of those high yielding mining ones, got a Wagga one, cessnock one, Bendigo, Rutherford, horsham

I've had to drop rents, as there has been a big supply of new stock which has come onto the market in recent years. But the drop hasn't been big, and followed a few years of good increases.

There's usually somebody interested if the price is right.

My opinion, make your properties stand out from the crowd and I think lowering thy rent is the trick. Works a treat for me. My vacancy rate is miniscule. Got 10 year tenant. Some people argue against cheaper rent but you'll find tenants will look after the place and pay on time coz they dont want to lose the property. Moving house is a pain most people try to avoid.

Yea agree

The Property with the plumbing issue
The rent had to be dropped from 360 per week to 270 at the end of the first year

And I just checked sqm research and and the vacancy for the suburb is 12%! Wow, even I didn't realise it was that high

There are still renters out there

And I just checked sqm research and and the vacancy for the suburb is 12%! Wow, even I didn't realise it was that high

So there are still people out there willing to rent. Just got to reel 'em in lol.

If the rental market is that bad I'd be off loading my stock real quick. But I dont think its that bad - I'm seeing good returns plus CG at the moment.

Last edited:
My strategy when I have a good tenant is to never raise the rent, it saves very little and just annoys the tenant. I only review the rent between tenants, or in one case where the tenant was behind in payments for years.

You are not doing yourself or your tenants any good. The tenants will have a hard time if they ever move say after 5 years.... :D

My strategy when I have a good tenant is to never raise the rent, it saves very little and just annoys the tenant. I only review the rent between tenants, or in one case where the tenant was behind in payments for years.

Hold on tight! It will pass! Offer a reduced rent to entice new tenants, then it's Business as usual.

That is extremely high. I'm presuming it wasn't so, when you purchased it. If that is the case, then you've got a lot of new investor activity in the area. You need to reduce the rent to be competitive. Maybe even offer the first week free.

When you hold a large portfolio, you need to be aware that the rental market moves at a different time to the CG and be prepared to be flexible.

If you are serious about investing in property, you need to treat it as a Business. Maximise your income via rent increases and minimise your expenses, without neglecting the property.

Tenants expect that at some stage rents are going to rise. Especially if they are long term tenants. I review all my rents at regular intervals and increase where possible. About half of my tenants are long term tenants. Some of them look like they are never going to leave.

When times are tough, and vacancies occur, then you move with the times. Lower the rent to market, or if there is a high percentage of vacancies in the area, making your property slightly lower than the competitors will get the properties rented. As the market improves, then the rents go back up.

By keeping your rents low, you are not doing your tenants any favours, as Sash has already pointed out, but most importantly, you are also hurting yourself. Of course, it may make little difference to you if you only hold a handful of properties, and are happily chugging along, not buying any more, but the rental return is a key factor when holding a large portfolio. Consider this for just a moment.

Say you hold 10 properties, and they are all below market by $10pw. $10 isn't a lot, right, but 10 x $10 is $100. So.......you are missing out on $100pw, or $5200pa, for keeping your tenants below market.

If you have 20 properties, this is going to cost you $10400pa.

Now, let's take this a bit further. You have 20 properties that are $20pw below market. This is a whopping $20800pa you are giving away to your tenants.

Imagine what you can do with an extra $20k. I for one am not going to give that to my tenants. It's mine, I want it! $20k can help reduce non-deductable debt, or sit in an offset. It can go towards the deposit of another IP, and MOST IMPORTANTLY it can be used by my Broker when he wants proof of income when looking at purchasing the next one.

I have purchased properties where the Landlord hasn't increased rents. Some can be as far as $50pw below market. Do you know what the first thing I do, when I find this? I use it as a tool to knock a wad of $$ off the purchase price. Another reason to keep your rents at market rates (it will only work in a buyers market, mind you)

The thread is in time ...

I had one in Maitland (Tenambit) near Rutherford...had to drop rent to $315pw from $355pw because if mining down turn.

If one of your properties is vacant for more than 2months you need to reduce the rent dramatically or upgrade the presentatoin of the property. If you agent has not recommend this...then sack them!

My Rutherford PM said tokeep rent below $300 to minimise vacancy, but expect no less that 3 weeks waiting time. Property across the New England Hwy have been vacant for 3.5 months apparently :eek:
Makes me want to keep my tenant despite being they're behind in rent...

Yea agree

The Property with the plumbing issue
The rent had to be dropped from 360 per week to 270 at the end of the first year

Which area? I hope not Rutherford one ...

Tenants expect that at some stage rents are going to rise. Especially if they are long term tenants. I review all my rents at regular intervals and increase where possible. About half of my tenants are long term tenants. Some of them look like they are never going to leave.

)

Do you tend to formally renew leases with your tenants or are they on expired leases? I come across a lot of resi Ip for sale which have long term tenants on expired leases and wonder what the benefit of a lack of formal lease is.

Do you tend to formally renew leases with your tenants or are they on expired leases? I come across a lot of resi Ip for sale which have long term tenants on expired leases and wonder what the benefit of a lack of formal lease is.

Some are on fixed leases, some on month-to-month. It doesn't really matter that much to me, so long as they are paying their rent and looking after the place. Even on a month-to-month, it is still a formal lease, the only difference is they are not tied down for a specific period of time.

Back