A Granny Flat For $25,000. Is it legit?

that is so cool if it were to come to fruition,

unfortunately its only in its startup stages

Last edited:
Up to $80,000? More like from $80,000.

Seeing as it is only 3x3m you could build that yourself on site for $28k. That's $4k/sqm.

I agree nhg,it's like 9k per sqm lol.

Nothing new though.

Eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXtMpQk9Iyw

Look at the others to the left too.

Cheers Spades.

Ps.Note fine print at the bottom of nomad:

Interior layout, fixtures and building features are subject to minor changes without notice at the discretion of the manufacturer. The manufacturer reserves the right to make additions, deletions and modifications to these items as the manufacturer may deem appropriate or desirable.

Last edited:
Granny Flats in Australia cost as much as $80,000 to build. Below is an old link about a foreign company that builds pre-assembled granny flats for around $25,000.

Can anyone critique this? What sort of problems would occur if one bit the bullet and ordered one of these beauties. All comments appreciated.

And no, its not Made in China which means it may not fall apart.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/ho...ere-in-the-world/story-fnet0iz7-1226752086379
Hey Grand Dad

Yeah granny flats can come in that cheap - check out http://www.grannyflatfinder.com.au/ and filter for under $25k

You need to consider, slab, service connections and your own labour, but we are finding that the DIY kits are becoming a popular option.

All need to meet standards if you buy from a licence Aussy company.

Good luck!

I've seen a fair few granny flats priced between 25-50k in SA, but we're not allowed to rent them out separately like places such as Sydney.

Granny Flats in Australia cost as much as $80,000 to build. Below is an old link about a foreign company that builds pre-assembled granny flats for around $25,000.
Can anyone critique this? What sort of problems would occur if one bit the bullet and ordered one of these beauties. All comments appreciated.
And no, its not Made in China which means it may not fall apart.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/ho...ere-in-the-world/story-fnet0iz7-1226752086379

Looks like a great idea at first glance.....
But the problem I see is that it would not suit the Australian market for a rentable granny flat that adds some value to your property.
Most renters I have met have piles of gear and need extra storage for other stuff and a small, compact unit does not get them excited.
Most everyone wants more "space"....

I quite like it myself - I can see a cosy home in the Canadian wilderness. Would be a hot-house in Australia with all that open surface area and glass and would need lots of insulation....maybe put a full roof right over the lot of it?
Could not see enough detail to determine if it would pass BCA, but you would have to convince the inspector anyway.....:)

Hey Grand Dad

Yeah granny flats can come in that cheap - ......You need to consider, slab, service connections and your own labour, but we are finding that the DIY kits are becoming a popular option.

Good luck!

Seriously? $25,000 isn't anywhere near THE REAL PRICE though, is it? Not even close.

I'm sorry but these kit companies. wow.

You pay $25,000 for what? 12 sq m according to your website. For a 60 sq m 'DIY kit' you'll need to cough up around $70k. And then? Let's add it up FOR REAL:

'DIY Kit': $60,000
Approvals: $7,000
Assembly/Labour: $30,000
Site Connection Costs: $30,000
TOTAL: $127,000

For a caravan-park cabin.

Compare that to a properly-built DWELLING with an actual roof and you've paid $20,000 less...for a brick-veneer granny flat.

I'm sorry, I don't often speak out like this but these are investor forums with some pretty street-smart people.

What I advise anyone where it comes to almost any kind of 'DIY kit' is this:
"Run away, people. Run.

I mean, you can order the same materials yourself from any hardware outlet for a fraction of the kit price - and the hardware store wouldn't even stock half of it because it's the bottom of the (quality) heap. And don't let your kids gnaw on the imported kitchen bench-tops. Sorry but I see too many people falling into the 'DIY kit' trap. Half the time they're not approveable either.

Sorry.

No offence 'GrannyFlatFind' but this is your first post and you've linked your business. Your business reputation (especially in a savvy-investor forum like this) directly depends on the info you provide, no?

Brazen.

In Brisbane builders are charging around $1200/sqm at the moment.

Most builders avoid taking up such work as the profits are low and the same amount of project management goes into the build as a larger home.

Back