A zillionnaire in the making

Hi, there've been a number of new young investors joining this forum.

This story might be enlightening.

My 9 year old nephew won EVERY Monopoly game including those with his father playing. His older brothers regularly lost.

So my sister asked how he won & his reply? "It's very easy. Buy asap!"

From the mouth of babes.

Still unconverted?

That 9 year old found a way to make real money. His 2nd brother older than him is a bit of a dreamer, an artist. They hatched a scheme. His brother drew about 20 pictures. He flogged them to his school friends. Some sold for $2, some $5. He got $1 off the $5 ones and 50cts off the $2 ones.

The 9 year old sold 15 pictures on the first day!!

So he drew a picture himself & tried to sell it for $5. No takers.

Thought you all might find this story amusing.

KY

Good on him. Sounds like he's off to a great start.

I'd buy him Cashflow 101 for Christmas. I think there's a kids version now.

It's a great game. I played it for the first time last weekend. It also shows you, it's not how much money you start with but what you do with it. I was a Janitor on the lowest wage but I did very well.

hi travelbug, welldone to you.

When I was settling IP 4, a postman was settling IP 7. He bought cheaper properties than I did but still, there's no beating buying what you can as early as you can. There's one multi millionaire ex taxi driver today!!

I'll buy Cashflow 101.

It's all about leverage. And there're many forms, in March, I borrowed off my properties to buy shares. Now sitting pretty.

Good luck in your future endeavours,

KY

"It's very easy. Buy asap!"

I used to do this but still couldn't win consistently, then I found a great strategy: "Don't be afraid to mortgage stuff!".

I used to think mortgaging stuff was only for when you're really broke, but now I mortgage ANY of my properties that aren't part of a set and use that money to buy houses for a set. Much better than having random bits of land all around the board and no houses.

Cashflow 101 is fun at first but gets boring much more quickly than something like Monopoly.

I love monopoly, but can never seem to find anyone who wants to play. Perhaps because I buy lots of property and want to play right to the end.

I've never played cashflow 101.

When I used to play Monopoly (luv it!) I had the same strategy as Kum's nephew - buy everything as quickly as possible. Unfortunately for me, I have an uncanny ability to land on Chance, Community Chest, Jail, Utilities - pretty much everything except a damn row of houses to build on! Used to drive me nuts! :D

Have Cashflow but never played it.

hehehe - drew a picture of himself and tried to flog it for $5.

maybe he's a seminar spruiker in the making?

i SMASH everyone at monopoly - but then, between our friends we have "house rules" like deals under the table, buy outs, trades, hotels for land etc. just like the real world really.

trouble is, my wife is UBER competitive once she's had a few wines. she always tries to beat me thru alliances and deals but she still hasn't realised, to this day, that one of my mates (hers as well) does the shifty with me all the time - he thinks it's hilarious.

ah geez - monopoly - the quicklest way to lose a friend and break a marriage.

Hi, it was hilarious when my 45 year old brother bribed the older boys to help him beat their 9 year old youngest brother.

The 9 year old still won. Mainly because my brother went to jail & when he bought his way out, landed immediately on 9 year old's green houses.

KY

I LOVE Monopoly! It's always been a favourite. Trouble is Hubby refuses to play with me. He reckons I cheat because I always win and he's a sore loser.

Hi Kum Yin

Amazing isn't it how children just "get it" as if it was an easy natuaral thing to do.

Off course it always was, some of us adults need to un-learn and undo alot of conditioning to get to a stage that children just know naturally.

well done to Mr. 9 and may he be a godzillionaire! :D

i SMASH everyone at monopoly

Happy to indulge in a game any time BC.....during working hours preferably. :)

ah geez - monopoly - the quicklest way to lose a friend and break a marriage.

Amen to that. My wife also refuses to play and literally hates the game. Come to think of it, she hates property investing full stop and thinks all of you knobs on this stupid property forum should grow up and get a life. :eek:

I guess you're either an investor or you're not.

Hi, it's interesting that grown men do play Monopoly.

And re the point about children getting it, us grownups have been misled by our fears & by the hard knocks that we forget to keep it simple.

My 9 year old nephew has this look of bafflement on his face: what's the fuss about? You want something, you go get it. Want money, sell pictures. Simple.

I once made $600 selling 'designer' envelopes. Couldn't draw to save my life but conned a boy in my class to draw Fred Flintstone, Snoopy etc & went to the stationer's to make the stamps. I think I sold batches of 10 for $6. Copyright never worried us at that time!

This was at a time when my mother's monthly income was under $300.

My sister & cousin planted kale & made $3. Our pocket money then was 5 cts

Love this forum cos it allows me to share these things that cause so much angst. My ex wouldn't buy any of the houses we looked at. I learnt to keep property investing to myself.

KY

Back