Higher rents on the way

Author: Fiona Tyndall
Date: 13/04/2005
Words: 299
Source: AFR

Publication: The Financial Review
Section: News
Page: 8

It is bad news for renters, but it could be good news for investors the number of properties available for lease in most cities is falling and it is prompting rent rises.

After a year of low returns from property investment, vacancies are low in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and agents have increased rents or expect to soon.

In Sydney, the rental market is so tight that the Real Estate Institute of NSW has warned of an "accommodation crisis", with the number of properties available for rent dropping to the lowest level since the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

With fewer owner-occupiers buying homes and fewer investors adding to the rental stock, Sydney's vacancy rate in March was 2.2 per cent.

"For every available property to rent, REI member agents are reporting up to 10 individuals or groups applying for tenancy," REI NSW president Rowen Kelly said. "A year ago the average would have been two or three applications."

But landlords are not complaining. David Hill, of Raine & Horne Crows Nest, manages 700 rental properties and usually has 20 to show on any given day. In the last six weeks he only had six.

"We now have three potential tenants for each property and they are prepared to pay full price. Last year it was one tenant and they wanted a 10 per cent discount," Mr Hill said.

In Brisbane, the December quarter vacancy rate was 2.6 per cent, down from 3.1 per cent, and for the Gold Coast housing market it was 2.7 per cent, down from 2.9 per cent.

In Melbourne, the CBD vacancy rate fell to 2.6 per cent in February, down from 3.9 per cent in January. But rents have not increased there yet.

Sim said:
"accomodation crisis" ??? It's just a normal part of the property market cycle :rolleyes:

Journalists ... sheesh !

:D

This is good news for investors, indeed. This just reinforces the fact that the property cycle is moving ... moving towards The Herd™'s switch to shares. :eek:

Speaking of which, I heard on the radio today that a survey of x young people, showed that the majority believed that shares were the best investment vehicle — naïve isn't it; there was no mention of leverage, (which makes property the best performer any day)... :p

Just my $0.03. :D

Fresh in from the radio news bulletin this afternoon...........

Sydney property and Australia in general listed as more UNaffordable than NewYork and Miami and ......the list went on.

Now I don't know how they have used the numbers but the Labour Party has jumped straight onto it and blaming John Howard and the Government.
Unbelievable how the media goes to work..........

Anybody else heard this and what's your thoughts ?

Last I heard when I was in New York, it was millions just to buy a flat in a high rise.....?

Interesting times.

Thorpey.

Thorpey said:
Sydney property and Australia in general listed as more UNaffordable than NewYork and Miami and ......the list went on.

Now I don't know how they have used the numbers but the Labour Party has jumped straight onto it and blaming John Howard and the Government.
Unbelievable how the media goes to work..........

Anybody else heard this and what's your thoughts ?
The report is here at demographia.com. The source numbers they used are shown here

hmmm....

Multiple is 7.1 for New York, median house price: $398,800.

Now last time I was on Manhattan island I don't recall seeing any free-standing houses.

So are they comparing upstate NY (lots of pretty hamlets in the country) versus urban Sydney, or are they comparing bedsits on Manhattan island with 4+ bedroom grass castles in Sydney's burbs?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
hmmm....

Now last time I was on Manhattan island I don't recall seeing any free-standing houses.

So are they comparing upstate NY (lots of pretty hamlets in the country) versus urban Sydney, or are they comparing bedsits on Manhattan island with 4+ bedroom grass castles in Sydney's burbs?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

My point exactly.
Thorpey

The AFR changes from one day to the next. I think they have cut and paste well and truely mastered.

Take AFR articles with a grain of salt as they are guilty of sensationalism with the best of them.

The US is a big country where contrasts abound. In California a millionare is described as "a home owner" and it seems any home will do, while in Texas you still need an oil well to qualify.

California and a few NE states, maybe not including NY, have boomed but in general I don't think they have had such a widespred boom as we have had. I've just been reading the economic journalists but and they have their own agenda. :( Who to believe?

Thommo

Aceyducey said:
hmmm....

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Remember that Manhattan is only one of the five boroughs. Brooklyn and Queens have high migrant populations. I'm sure if you compared Manhattan to Sydney we would be far more affordable but only 1.5 million out of 8 million New Yorkers live there.

New York

Sim said:
"accomodation crisis" ??? It's just a normal part of the property market cycle :rolleyes:

Journalists ... sheesh !

Come on Sim - let em go :)

We can use it as "solid research" showing property taxes need to be decreased or rents will rise pushing the "average" tenant onto the STREET ;)

Now that would be a good story :p

Rents

I'm currently looking to find a new place for my family.

Rents have gone up, and this is first hand experience in Sydney.
A good friend of mine was paying 340pw for 2br in St Leonards (good suburb) and the landlord wants him out or paying 390pw.
So the rents are going up... but there is so much they can rise. As Xben said, you cant push the average tenant out with the price of the rent.

On another hand Sydney is the least affordable city in Australia. It ranks #20 in the world this year, and that is after a jump from #67 last year. NY is #12.

Thx
V

The article never discussed the underlying reasons for rent rises.

Rent is going up because people can't afford to purchase their own homes, especially in today's market. Property prices are way inflated - we all know that. Ok, maybe not inflated but relatively speaking, they're not proportionate to the average wage. It makes fiscal sense for the average person to rent. It's all about affordability. And with interest rates on the rise, rental properties will become a much sort after dwelling.

Indeed, investors with rental properties should be smiling.

Back