Accountant in Western Sydney

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good accountant in Sydney (preferably west)? I have tried using someone in QLD but it's hard using someone you can't sit face-to-face with, plus I ended up being handed off to their inferiors and dealing with 3 or 4 different people for a simple tax return with no IPs and when I gave them all the totals in the sub-headings they wanted.

I was recommended an accountant in Penrith, who handed me off to his son, and when I went to see his son he had poor communication skills and answered every question with "well that depends which way you prefer to do this..." which is exactly what I wanted to know from him.

Anyway, it would be great to have an accountant that I can deal with to help me structure future purchases, help decide best way to purchase my next car, general tax questions etc. Evidently it is hard to find someone who is knowledgeable but also has time to spend with their clients, but it would be nice to find some middle ground.

Cheers

Anyway, it would be great to have an accountant that I can deal with to help me structure future purchases, help decide best way to purchase my next car, general tax questions etc. Evidently it is hard to find someone who is knowledgeable but also has time to spend with their clients, but it would be nice to find some middle ground.

And how much are you willing to pay? The longer you deal with the experienced accountants, the more it costs.

Hi alex.

I know you'll never find the best for the cheapest rate, and I'm on a reasonably low income so I don't need Packer's accountant but someone who will provide an acceptable level of service on a reasonable budget. I'm looking for someone sitting somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

Cheers

Problem is, you probably can't use most of the strategies. At your current level of income, the more complicated tax strategies just aren't worth the cost. Sure, you're way ahead of your peers (and, for that matter, most people much older than you), and your situation will change. However, at the moment, your conversations with accountants will probably result in 'here's why it's not worthwhile to, say, do a car lease for you, and here's my bill for explaining to you why it's not worthwhile'.

This is expensive for unnecessary (for now) advice. Better (and cheaper) to study up on the basics. Understand trusts, companies, tax strategies (there are books out there), so that you have more knowledge to evaluate an accountant's knowledge (and justify their costs), and to recognise what advice you need from them.

My accountant is in Baulkham Hills. He works for a large firm during the day and has a small after hours practice with a private and company customer base for tax returns and advice for people that get referred to him. As such his rates are pretty reasonable for a very experienced accountant.

Alex,
Thanks for your advice - some good points as usual. I'll start putting aside some time to research accounting basics for now. I've achieved all my goals for this year, and one of my goals for next year is to take the next step in my career so this should be my last FY on a 'low income' :)

Dave,
Your last referral worked out well for me so I'll PM you for your accountant's details :)

Cheers

Back