Adelaide - What to do & See

Me the wife and our 7 month old are heading to Adelaide early February for approx. 5 days and where wondering what attractions and stuff there is to do and see in Adelaide.
Any suggestions would be good

If PT's suggestion is a bit too extreme for your tastes, the usual things are:

Central Market
Barossa Valley/McLaren Vale for wine
Hahndorf

To be honest we are a bit more limited compared to other cities :(

We plan on going to the beach around Glenelg/ west beach areas, then up to McLaren flat area to visit friends, then to Hahndorf on the way home. Want to try and buy my boy a lederhosen if I can :D

Head down to Victor Harbor if you have the time, granite island is always a nice relaxing walk.

Barrossa Valley as already mentioned.

My difficulty is thinking of activities which are 7 month yr old friendly, otherwise theres little decent activities like kayaking in the ship graveyard + mangroves which are a reasonable way to spend an afternoon.

Wildcard option: If one of the days you are over is a Sunday, this might be up your alley:

http://www.military-vehicle-museum.org.au/museum-tour/

I haven't been there myself, but they have a Stuart Tank, US AA halftrack, Bofors AA + howitzers, some APC's etc.

Melba's Chocolate Factory in Woodside. :) Also cherry/strawberry picking around Hahndorf and nearby towns. Big rocking horse in Gumeracha and toy shop. Monarto Zoo further east. A drive through the towns of the Torrens and Onkaparinga Valleys are well worth it.

Id recommend a trip to the zoo in the city - they have Pandas.

Always enjoy a trip to the hills - some nice pubs to have lunch. Hahndorf is nice for a wander through nicknac type shops, although a little touristy. Lunch at the German pubs can be entertaining - try the 1m sausage challenge.

Some nice beaches to play, not sure if your little one is too young.

Nice wineries to visit down at McLaren Vale.

Car museum at Birdwood.

Decent shopping mall at Marion.

Just did the same trip from mildura a couple if weeks ago. Zoo was great but my kids are a bit older. All the beaches were good and maybe some habourtown shopping.

City Centre for shopping is Rundle Mall only.
CBD Eating Rundle St or Gouger St and also Central Markets.

Glenelg is great with beach/jetty and Jetty Rd for eats and shopping.

Strathalbyn is a nice spot for the young-uns. Feed the ducks, antique shops and have a nice quiet day and drive down the freeway.

Barossa region is a must to drive from town the town. Lyndoch has the best roo on the menu anywhere.

All above suggestions are great!
If you are into dining (I'm addicted to chocolate)
bricegirdles in glenelg is awesome.
spats cafe in hyde park have the best deserts on the planet and the building has been there since 1800s

semaphore beach has some great attractions

Adelaide hills is a really sorry sight at the moment.
Fires out today, I haven't been up there yet but pictures look devastating.

Adelaide hills is a really sorry sight at the moment.
Fires out today, I haven't been up there yet but pictures look devastating.

I was up in the Hills earlier in the week (outside the affected areas). Generally everything south of Lobethal and Woodside is as per normal. Not sure what the situation is further north.

Me the wife and our 7 month old are heading to Adelaide early February for approx. 5 days and where wondering what attractions and stuff there is to do and see in Adelaide.
Any suggestions would be good

Wine!

World class in every direction.

Suggestions by others are good. Harndorf usually pretty good.

March is great in Adelaide.

What a week it was

It was a fairly busy week for our little family this week.
We travelled down to Adelaide on Sunday and arrived at our accommodation in Eastwood. The house was a lovey 1890's semi and was very quaint.
Monday - Visited the botanical gardens, then our 8mo got very sick (high temp and not well), so spent the rest of the day cooling him off and trying to get him to sleep and not scream.
Tuesday - Went to the doctors and was told my boy had a fever, boy has stopped eating but fortunately is still drinking.He got a little better after lunch so took the opportunity to go to Hahndorf and look around.
Wednesday - Boy was sick still and went to West beach in the afternoon, then visited harbour town shopping centre and went to Ikea.
Thursday - Boy starting to get better and is now slowly starting to eat again. We went to the Zoo and Max had a ball, loved the Giraffes and pandas. Then went to a local park and enjoyed a quiet afternoon.
Friday - Went out to McLaren Vale and caught up with friends out there, drove around and had a look at a few wineries and then went to Christies Beach for a swim in the afternoon. Also had a quick look the southern suburbs and liked the look at a few areas.
Saturday - Went to Melba's chocolate factory in Woodside, then visited the big rocking horse out at Gumeracha, then drove home back to Mildura.
We are going back to Adelaide in June to see Cirque Du Soleil.

Back