Adelaideans - Looking for hire furniture please!

We've made a point of not hiring furniture as of a couple of years ago because we found for the price of 1 mths rental we could buy the furniture to furnish the ENTIRE house.....and we get to keep the stuff too!!

But now we're at a point where all the homes are going to be on the market at the same time and we would never sell a brand new house unfurnished but simply not practical to keep buying furniture because then storage is an issue.

Just thinking there must be people out there who buy their own display furniture also so just wondering if anyone in Adelaide does and who is also willing to hire it out to us (contemporary type stuff) please let me know!!!

Email or PM me if you can help and vice versa, you can borrow our furniture when we're not using them!

Cheers!
Kim

Kim, this is exactly what we are wanting to do at the start of next year.
Wish you were asking this question then!!

I have some friends that have a supply of furniture they have used recently for the sale period of their units. I'll ask them the question and get back to you.

Gools

When do you need it, I've got some in a house we are selling. Have to finish the firewall before we can sell it so the timing might not work.

Cheers
Graeme

that would be great if you could ask for us Gools!!

quoll - we need it in about 3 - 4 weeks time.....providing trades actually rock up to finish the jobs :mad:

let me know how you go...really don't want to have to keep buying furniture if we don't have to.

Do I see business opportunity here managing timeshare furniture????

Don't know if they're still there but Pabs Furniture rentals was on Magill Road Norwood, just west of Osmond Terrace.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

i know a bunch of other investors in similar boat except they just give in and hire furniture from the places like Foggos or Pabs etc.....so it could potentially be a small side business for someone thats got the time thats for sure!

Pabs no longer trading..well at least not on magill rd. They were cheaper than Foggos but certainly still not worth renting longer term for us because still very expensive...especially if house stays on market 3+ mths :eek:

Strike a deal with the furniture company

Hey,

It's more of a theoretical concept, never tried it but should work.:)

How about you offer the furniture company, say Freedom or Fantastic furniture, to furnish your houses and you allow them to advertise that the property is furnished by them. They also get to display the prices for outright sale or lease to own. It's a win-win situation, the company gets to sell their furniture and you get to furnish your properties for free or at a minimal cost.

Cheers

How do you normally transport the furniture?

I've got a VW transporter van but it really only fits a couple of tv units it.

I've got a 2 & 3 seater lounge in cream, 1200 smoky grey glass top round table with 4 chairs, 1200 x 750 very small table, couple of round extension tables, 1800-1050 tas oak clear laquer extension table, 6 black leather chairs, 8 blue suede chairs, 3 pine colonial coffee tables, 1 big pine coffee table, couple of lamp tables, few bar chairs, some bar stools, cd and dvd racks, a roll top desk, a small 2 seat sofa very old fashion, single bed mattress. oh 2x 1600 wide low line tas oak tv units.

I should probably try and find some photo's, renting it out might be OK.

Cheers
Graeme

hubby normally hires a trailer with a cage and gets a mate to help him for the day...normally takes us a full day to collect furniture from storage and drop it off to the house and set up.

we're renting a storage shed at a fairly good rate ($20/week) but because we've been buying a bit more furniture over the past year that shed is gonig to be a bit too small now so will have to upgrade.....would ideally just rent so we don't have to store though.

would be great to see some pics and then i can tell you which ones i'm interested in.....if we really like some of your pieces and and you're willing to sell we can also work something out there...

email me your pics when you get a chance!

What's it cost to rent furniture?

I used to have a retail furniture store so I know what it costs to buy and sell but never looked at renting.

The potential is there for us to still be able to purchase furntiure wholesale, which is roughly 1/2 the retail price. There are a few local adelaide wholesalers so it just depends on what style of furniture you want?

Cheers
Graeme

cheapest i've found so far is about $1K for the average 3bd courtyard house including accessories (vases, canvas prints, lamps, pillows, sheet sets etc)

the accesssories are fine we're just after the bigger items like sofas, dining tables etc because they're a bum to have to store

sorry thats $1K/mth

we're after really contemporary pieces...the kind of stuff you'd find at freedom (doesn't have to be freedom but similar to the pieces of furniture they carry there)

I know it doesn't help if you have a few properties on the market at once, but for the house mum just sold, we put pieces of our own contemporary style furniture in, our own lamps and prints, bought three beds on ebay, which I have now resold on ebay, and doing so saved so much on hiring the furniture.

(I had to convince mum that doilies were not really the "look" we were going for :).)

Friends went down the hiring track and it looked great, but two months on the market ended up costing them a couple of thousand, and the house didn't sell.

Of course, it was easy for us because we could draw from two houses so our own houses were not emptied out (and we do have rather a "thing" for having more sofas than hot breakfasts - so lending a couple was easy).

We've currently got half our house furniture in one of homes so thats saved us a bit already. Whats still sitting in our own house is stuff we actually couldn't go without (like beds, few chairs etc).

Have just started buying a few things off ebay today but might be at the end of the day that we have to buy another set of furniture unfortunately....

It seems that we will be spending more money on display furniture than our own furniture :(

Trading Post is good for second hand furniture. Good second hand furniture can be very cheap.

Garage sales are great but you have to go to a lot before you find things that are in good enough condition to bother buying.

Really need to purchase a cheap storage place, either small warehouse or shipping containers so you can keep the good stuff.

Regards
Graeme

Back