Adjustment of loan for investment property

Hi guys

I was seeking some guidance in terms of what you can claim in terms of an investment property.

My wife and I have 2 houses- one which was an investment that we purchased for 240K plus stamp duty a number of years ago.

The property was then rented out immediately for approx 7 years and was included in our tax returns as an investment property (ie. we claimed the interest we were paying on the 240K loan).

Then about 4 years ago we moved into the property and spent another 220K on renovations which I obtained from the redraw facility due to the equity that we had in the home.

If we were to move out again and make the property available for rental would I be able to claim the interest on 540K (ie. the original 320K + the additional 220K obtained on the redraw).

Would I also be correct that we would be able to claim 2.5% per annum on for the capital works that we undertook.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

If we were to move out again and make the property available for rental would I be able to claim the interest on 540K (ie. the original 320K + the additional 220K obtained on the redraw).

Would I also be correct that we would be able to claim 2.5% per annum on for the capital works that we undertook.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Possibly. The $220k was borrowed to reno the house, so if the house became income producing the income on borrowings associated with its purchase and/or improvement could be claimed.

But, it all depends on how you conducted the loan. If you never made any other withdrawals you may be ok.

Speak to your tax advisor.

Back