Advantages/disadvantages of paying by cash for a grannyflat build

Hi,

One builder quoted me a granny flat build of $95,000 + GST $9,500.
He said that if I pay him cash, he will just charge $95,000.

What is the tax implication of this?
Can the cost of $95,000 still be depreciated over time?
From tax point of view, interests of $95,000 still count as expenses and rent from granny flat still count as income?
To me, it has advantage of shelling out less to get a granny flat.
What other advantages are there?
What are the disadvantages? (eg. need to take piles of $50 notes in a suitcase? :D )
Have you done this before?

Thanks in advance

He may take your money and run away.....is he a licensed, registered (competent) builder?

Is he happy to take cash on completion....?

How do you get any home owner warranty after you pay him....?

Regarding tax....there is a world of hurt waiting for the building trade with cash payments to avoid GST....see ATO annual target.

I suggest you pay the GST, check all his licenses (and contractors/workers) offer him progress payments and sleep well at night....

My 2c.....

cospiracy to commit tax fraud
compliance?
no insurance
no warranty
no nuthin
later down the track the tenant of the flat has a problem directly related to the construction.. exxit, down the toilet

NOT a good idea

Last edited:
Hi,

One builder quoted me a granny flat build of $95,000 + GST $9,500.
He said that if I pay him cash, he will just charge $95,000.

What is the tax implication of this?
Can the cost of $95,000 still be depreciated over time?
From tax point of view, interests of $95,000 still count as expenses and rent from granny flat still count as income?
To me, it has advantage of shelling out less to get a granny flat.
What other advantages are there?
What are the disadvantages? (eg. need to take piles of $50 notes in a suitcase? :D )
Have you done this before?

Thanks in advance

I guess this a little different than a tap washer fix for cash.

I believe you would have an obligation to pay the GST component to the gov.

I know you arent alone in this contemplation, and I am certain that if the gov gets the guts to plug the cash economy hole, the average PAYG and company tax rate could come down 10 to 15 % of current.

The issue here isnt just the GST...........its the income tax component and a few other things, soif you are going to play this game the discount should be more like 15 to 18 %, not 10 %............but of course the builder wont play that game

ta
rolf

how would you claim depreciation on something you dont have a receipt for.

either way, if you decide to do cash make sure you workout a payment plan with him.

i would also suggest getting other builders to quote you. this guys already sounds dodgy

Back