Adventure / Travel Goals

Hi Guys,

I've been thinking of some travel / adventure / life experience type goals recently, and i've come up with a bit of a list.

Things i want to do:

• Visit every continent
  • Walk the Kokoda Track
  • Go bungee jumping
  • Visit Gallipoli
  • Visit the 7 man made wonders of the world
  • Learn to surf and snowboard
  • Walk to base camp in Nepal
  • Explore all states of Australia
  • Learn to scuba dive

The things i've done so far include:

• Skydiving
  • Seen 2 of the 7 wonders (walked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in Peru and seen Christ the Redeemer in Brazil)
  • Joined the army reserve

What does everyone else want to do? And what have you already done?

See the pyramids and undertake a cruise of the Nile; and visit the Serenghetti plains in a hot air balloon.

Husband has just returned from Nepal and plans to do a base camp trek next! In the last 12 months he has visited every continent for work! He has a lot of Qantas FF points, is on the highest level, and is greeted effusively by cabin staff whenever he sets foot on the plane. What a shame we dont usually like to travel Qantas when we get a choice!

Visit every single country in the world.

I adore travelling. I equally adore my kids and don't want them to grow up too fast but I do look forward to the day we are free to jump into a cab, go to the airport and catch the next exciting flight out!

Hi Rickardo,
I have done the sky jumping too.
Last year spent 11 days touring Italy and 12 days cruising the Greek Islands. The tour of Italy was a long held ambition of mine and the Greek Islands was my wifes. So we both did something we had dreamed of for our 25 Wedding anniversary. Prior to this I had not travelled internationally.
This year we are spending a week in Hong Kong. But our next goal is to go England, France and Spain. In the next 10 years I would like to holiday every 2nd or 3rd year in Europe.:D

Good luck with your goals.
Regards Bill

I want to go everywhere.

I thought I would travel less after having a baby but not at all....Josh has been on the plane at least 2 dozen times and he's only 2y.o.

and I also thought it would restrict us price wise with kids but now thanks to the budget airlines, paying for 3 person return is even cheaper than paying for just 1 adult return on a normal carrier.

and travelling with kids is great fun too.

When I was about 18 my travel goals were to visit Salzburg (sound of music), work in NYC and visit Prince Edward Island (Anne of Green Gables).

I accomplished 2 out of 3 by 21y.o - NYC and Salzburg lol and caught the travel bug majorly. Have not stopped travelling since.

Soon we should be able to fly GC to Stanstead for AUD$600 return. The only place that's still really expensive is the USA. Some low cost carrier needs to open up US routes n Oz, they will make a mint.

I have a trip planned in May to KL for 1 week and then onto Hanoi for another week in Hanoi 1 night on a halong bay luxury junk and 3 day trekking trip to Sapa via o/n train and the whole trip came to just $1600 for 3person inc all flights and travel. We are staying with family in KL. It's so cheap. I love Asia....everything is so cheap and food is the best. I love Europe too but food there isn't very good..well I like tapas but next to a plate of fried KL Hokkien Mee...choice is easy! We have it good in Oz...the food here is way better.

a trip to the snow in June - got jetstar tickets for $20 p.p return to Sydney then will rent a car and drive to Jindabyne.

I try to space out overseas trips every 6 to 12 mths.

Atm, it's do all big trips before 2nd baby arrives then it will be do all big trips before 2nd baby turns 2 (infant fare) then it will be do all big trips before they both got to school (then we will be really restricted because fares are usually pricey over school holidays and time is limited.)

I also want to explore more of my own backyard...there are so many gret places to visit near Brisbane.

Hi Guys,

[*]Go bungee jumping

A good way to do this is to go to Queenstown in New Zealand during winter (skiing).

They have an activity you can do called 'The Awesome Foursome'. It is a day-long affair.

Starts off with meeting at the AJ Hackett activity centre in downtown Queenstown, then ferried by bus up to a cabin in the mountains.

Everyone is suited up in very thick wetsuits - the outfit for the day.

Then you take the first activity; helicopter ride through the mountains with a kamikaze pilot up to the Bungee location; a 300ft high bridge in "Skippers Canyon".

Here, the Bungee occurs and it is a nerve-wracking wait until it's your turn. The jump is over the water, and they lower you down into a waiting boat, then it's off to the next activity; Jet Boat.

The jet boats scream across 4" of water at times with rocks clearly visible below, and hurtle directly towards 300 ft high shear cliffs, only to turn off at 90 degrees at the last moment. You get soaked.

Stop for lunch on the river bank and then get trained up for some Level 4 white-water rafting in 10 man rubber rafts. It all ends with a terrifying free-fall over a water fall as you come out of a dark cave. Totally unexpected and scares the $hit out of everyone.

Then it's on the bus and back to the cabin for some well earned hot chocolate and snacks, get changed and head home for the next activity; see how much of Queenstown's alcohol you can consume in one night and then still ski the next day.

Sue78:
Soon we should be able to fly GC to Stanstead for AUD$600 return. The only place that's still really expensive is the USA. Some low cost carrier needs to open up US routes n Oz, they will make a mint.

Something is stirring Sue, could be more competitive:

http://business.smh.com.au/virgin-blue-signs-up-for-open-skies-to-the-us/20080215-1shv.html

Part of the article: "Virgin Blue has been given the all-clear to launch ten weekly flights to North America by November, after Australia and the United States signed an Open Skies Agreement.

The deal will now allow Virgin offshoot V Australia and another Australia or US carrier unrestricted access on the route.

The agreement will remove a cap which restricted airlines from both countries flying four weekly flights in their first year of operation on the route.

"The United States is Australia's third largest aviation market and this agreement removes restrictions on Australian and US airlines starting services and routes between the two countries and beyond to third countries,'' Mr Albanese said in a media release.
"

Looking good. :)

Hanoi for another week in Hanoi 1 night on a halong bay luxury junk It's so cheap.

I will be in Hanoi in May and also on a junk on Halong Bay too in May!:eek: Which junk? Santa Maria?:p

And yes, Vietnam especially is very very cheap, but only if you organise it yourself - the tour operators still charge the normal rates!

Part of the article: "Virgin Blue has been given the all-clear to launch ten weekly flights to North America by November, after Australia and the United States signed an Open Skies Agreement.

The deal will now allow Virgin offshoot V Australia and another Australia or US carrier unrestricted access on the route.

The agreement will remove a cap which restricted airlines from both countries flying four weekly flights in their first year of operation on the route.

"The United States is Australia's third largest aviation market and this agreement removes restrictions on Australian and US airlines starting services and routes between the two countries and beyond to third countries,'' Mr Albanese said in a media release.
"

My friend works for Virgin. Unfortunately, the fares will be competitive with Qantas but won't be 'budget' travel as such. I think it will still be around $1200 return.

I will be in Hanoi in May and also on a junk on Halong Bay too in May!:eek: Which junk? Santa Maria?:p

And yes, Vietnam especially is very very cheap, but only if you organise it yourself - the tour operators still charge the normal rates!

Cool...Have you read the trip advisor reviews? make sure you request for the rooms on the bottom floor...the 2 rooms on the top birth are nasty.

I'll be there on 13th to 19th May.

Day 1 - Hanoi
Day 2 - Halong (probably Santa Maria although they just had a $20 price increase)
Day 3 - Back to Hanoi then train to Sapa
Day 4 Sapa
Day 5 - Train to Hanoi
Day 6 - Hanoi
Day 7 - Go Home

I got quotes for rooms and tours through Hanoi Elegance 2 and it's a lil bit pricey. Which hotel are you staying at?

What day have you booked the Santa Maria Cruise? It would be so funny if we were on the same cruise!

I am so excited....wished we had more time to explore from Nth to Sth.

I've pretty much been everywhere that I had a strong desire to go to. I'm now on to my "B" list:

Walking the Hardian's Wall route across the UK.
Petra in Jordan.
Chitzen Itza in Mexico.

Cool...Have you read the trip advisor reviews? make sure you request for the rooms on the bottom floor...the 2 rooms on the top birth are nasty.

I'll be there on 13th to 19th May.

Day 1 - Hanoi
Day 2 - Halong (probably Santa Maria although they just had a $20 price increase)
Day 3 - Back to Hanoi then train to Sapa
Day 4 Sapa
Day 5 - Train to Hanoi
Day 6 - Hanoi
Day 7 - Go Home

I got quotes for rooms and tours through Hanoi Elegance 2 and it's a lil bit pricey. Which hotel are you staying at?

What day have you booked the Santa Maria Cruise? It would be so funny if we were on the same cruise!

I am so excited....wished we had more time to explore from Nth to Sth.

Ha Ha, we are both Trip Advisor addicts too! I too am staying at Elegance II and Mr Do has organised the junk - Room 201 is booked - but we are doing a 2 nighter!

Did they quote you the deluxe room for US$70? are you worried they will be overbooked? lol I will pobably go with Mr Do. I hope you didn't book 201 for 14th May!! I want that room. :D

Did they quote you the deluxe room for US$70? are you worried they will be overbooked? lol I will pobably go with Mr Do. I hope you didn't book 201 for 14th May!! I want that room. :D

What a hoot! No, we are booked for the 27th May. It will be a 30th wedding anniversary/birthday trip for me so we are going Junior Suite for $75US. Sweet!:p And of course, we are flying from Hong Kong so a couple of days at the Langham Place (TA's number 1 HK hotel) for me too! Retail therapy and all that. Even sweeter!

Sue78:

Something is stirring Sue, could be more competitive:

http://business.smh.com.au/virgin-blue-signs-up-for-open-skies-to-the-us/20080215-1shv.html

"

Sue and OO,

Unfortunately, I think the cheaper fares are some way away yet. Apart from needing more aircraft, they also need the pilots to fly them - all this in the midst of a severe shortage of pilots world-wide.

Several of the regional airlines have already begun cancelling flights due to lack of tech. crew, airlines of all sizes are losing pilots to overseas airlines which are prepared to pay more, and the problem is going to get much worse before it gets better.

Cheers
LynnH

Aaah, uhuh! ...okay Lynn/Sue, budget flights might be a while then..

Rickardo:

Have seen and travelled most of the world/Oz, that's not to discard any further travel, far from it, it's certainly something within me, I will always travel, it's such a huge part of my life.

Just shortterm adventure for the moment is an ongoing love affair with:

http://www.chockstone.org/Arapiles/Arapiles.htm

Rock climbing...

"If you don't let go, you can't fall off."...(Jerry Moffat)

"Why ? Why, why, why do I do this ???" — (Chuck Pratt)

I don't know why it is, but I just love to climb...I don't even particularly like heights, it isn't really about the height...it's something in the climb and the quiet...

"I think you love rocks so much that they've replaced your brain." — (Rex Pieper)

""Rocks make no compromise for sex... rock climbing is not like some sports, where it is made easier for women; or sports like, say, softball, which is only baseball for soft people. On a rock, everything is equal."
(Beverly Johnson)

Only 1,433 to go..:p

Attachments

• Mt Arapiles climb 250807 028.JPG
    Mt Arapiles climb 250807 028.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 55
We love mountain biking - aim is to go do some in South America end of next year (if we're far enough along on the investments).
Also planning that once we have kids do a cycle tour of Europe with the trailers on the back of the bikes.
Really want to tour Australia - but think thats best left to a 4wd and campervan.
Have already done all but two (South America and Antartica) of the continents (although only did north Africa)

All good reasons to invest so we can take plenty of time off work when we want.

""Rocks make no compromise for sex... rock climbing is not like some sports, where it is made easier for women; or sports like, say, softball, which is only baseball for soft people. On a rock, everything is equal."
(Beverly Johnson)

Only 1,433 to go..:p

Interesting Quote Our Obsession,

I really enjoyed rock climbing BC (before children) and the very strange thing is I am horribly uncoordinated - can't catch, throw, hit a ball with any kind of stick..... but I can climb really well, I even surprise myself!:D We used to climb around Brisbane on weekends - Glasshouse mountains. I think my advantage is really long arms and legs that reach footholes normal height people can't. I even did a particularly difficult climb one day with 2 broken fingers. I'd like to get back into it when life permits.

I also started with competitive spearfishing BC, which was a great adventure. I love being in the water and am looking forward to doing a lot more of it when the kids are both at school, though I may not compete, just keep doing it for the fun and the fish (yum).

Louise

Visit every single country in the world.

I'm curious, how seriously do people take this statement? I mean, I want to visit many countries, but visiting every country would involve going to some very dangerous places.

You also mentioned how much you love your kids... do you love them enough not to step off a plane in Bagdad?

-Ian

I don't know why it is, but I just love to climb
I haven't done any for a while now, but I really love it too. It really focuses the mind. When you're desperately holding on, precariously balanced, leg shaking, arms pumped, and 5 metres above your last pro, at that moment the world doesn't exist: there's only you, the rock, and that notch where you're trying to get the next piece of pro in.

I think sometimes climbing can be as mentally exhausting as it is physically.

GP

Back