Advertising granny flat for rent before it is built?

So I am building a Granny Flat in Perth and the rental market is a bit flat at the moment.

Would it be worthwhile and is it possible to start advertising it for rent a month before it is completed with the rental date to start on completion?

Prospective tenants wouldn't be able to access the site but could still do a drive by and some people might be attracted to the thought of moving into brand spanking new property.

Just worried If I advertise from when it is completed then might still take a while before I get someone in.

Cheers.

No access - a real turn off.

Tenants do not have imagination, cannot see the picture with the flashing lights that you are trying to paint with the property - until they get access and can see paint on walls, carpet, kitchen, appliances & completed bathroom it isn't worth showing. You lose the impact of the 'top spot' on re.com. Wait until a week out - they don't need grass or a driveway but everything inside has to be there.

Other issues,

What is there is a delay in getting the Occupation Certificate, then they are left homeless for a few more days.

RE agents tend to not advertise or be involved till it is legal to rent out, are you advertising on gumtree?

As above, most people have little imagination that far off from completion (there wouldn't be a kitchen or bathroom at that point).

These are things I dealt with when putting my places up for rent before they were completed.

Our granny flat was promised (contra tually) for completion by Christmas last year. It was finished in May.

Wait until there's not a lot more to go, and then advertise it- if you're absolutely certain that those last things will be completed on time.

Our granny flat was promised (contra tually) for completion by Christmas last year. It was finished in May.

Wait until there's not a lot more to go, and then advertise it- if you're absolutely certain that those last things will be completed on time.

What happened, mind me asking?

I have advertised both mine before they were built.

Whats the risk in this exactly? Chuck an ad up and see if you get interest...theres no downside. I've shown people through an 80% finished granny flat plenty of times.

Worst case scenario - nothing?
Best case scenario - take a deposit off a tenant and sign them up, give yourself a window allowance for any delays.

Back