Advice about what to pay agent

Hi

I think the major deciding factor for me wanting to use a real estate agent or not will be determined by my excellent selling skills or lack of excellent elling skills.

If I was a natural born negotiator that can achieve the best deal on everything I buy such as cars, other investment properties etc well then maybe I would consider selling my own property myself.

But if I can find an estate agent that has excellent selling skills and can extract the highest dollar from a potential purchaser well I would get that agent to do the sale process for me.

I think it all comes down to the individual and whether they have the knack or not to achieve the best result.

After doing a small stint on real estate when I was 18 years old I realise I do NOT have the sales knack and this was further enforced after running my own business in a totally different field and hiring excellent sales people to do the specific task of sales.

But if you find a bad agent well then that's worst!

If it were me I would find an agent who will get the result you are looking for and you do that by finding pro-active agents who have continually achieved good sales results year after year.

Regards,

alicudi

I think you are absolutely right.
However my Mum used to say I could sell ice to Eskimos so the negotiating and the selling in general is something I actually look forward to.
Besides I am very aware of what the unit is worth (within a few thousand) and so unless I get that price I don't sell.
I will be letting prospective buyers know they are buying without an agent's commission to cover. That should be very appealing to them. It would be to me.

And Bay View - if the local agents are going to badger me incessantly to get the listing, despite it obviously being for private sale, isn't that harassment? I'm pretty sure there are laws against that. I might just need to remind them.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Brits

Last edited by a moderator:
Back