Advice on BROADBAND selection

Aceyducey said:
You are confusing last mile with backbone.
I don't believe I am. My interpretation of backbone is ADSL infrastruture from the back end all the way up to the telephone exchange (so everything except the last mile). No other carriers "backbone" even comes close to that sort of coverage. Why ? Well who do you think has the most fixed line exchanges in Oz ?

T.

It's already been said, but I think it's worth th extra mention - go to whirlpool.net.au.

There's the broadband choice section http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/ which compares all of the different options available based on price, features, plans, etc.

There's also the forums http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ which contain extensive discussions by the users of these services themselves. By asking a few appropriate questions and reading what other people have said, you'll be able to quickly assertain if the service will meet your needs.

Tandella said:
I don't believe I am. My interpretation of backbone is ADSL infrastruture from the back end all the way up to the telephone exchange (so everything except the last mile).
Well that's a different interpretation to those of us who work in the industry use :)

You're welcome to use your own definitions for things (like Trusts as well) but don't expect to be able to have a meaningful conversation with anyone else.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Its pretty hard to have different interpretations with this. The backbone would consist of the fibre optic links between exchnages and the 'last mile' would consist of the copper from the exchange (from the DSLAM) to the customer premises.

Seeing Telstra pretty much own the public network, they are the only ones that can provision the line from the exchange to the customer premises.

Tandella seems to be debating the size of Telstras infrastructure, where the debate started out as wether anyone else had one at all.

BTW: Tandella, can you define 'backend' in the context of DSL?

Aceyducey said:
You're welcome to use your own definitions for things (like Trusts as well)
Care to elaborate on that "trust definition" jibe ?
Aceyducey said:
but don't expect to be able to have a meaningful conversation with anyone else.
Was that comment really necessary ? If you believe that you are of a higher intellect and above this conversation, then why bother even contributing to the thread ?
I respect your presence on this forum and enjoy reading alot of what you post, but I often wonder if you have any control over how arrogant you allow yourself to get ?

I'm also involved in IT. For nearly 20 years. Locally and abroad. With some of the largest multi-national IT companies in the world. But what would I know ? Apparently not enough to be taken seriously on this thread, according to some.

Best of luck with your broadband search Peter147.

T.

Hi Acey and Tandella,

Tandella is correct Telstra is the only provider of a backbone network to the whole of Australia, the simple reason for this is that it is not economically viable for any of the others to provide 100's of thousands of Kms. of optic fibre to access all rural comunities accross this vast continent. They simple piggy-back on the telstra network to access any areas that are economically unviable ie. outside the Capital cities and major population centres.

Regards Gus.

P.S. 36 years with PMG, Telecom, Telstra. still have contacts.

Gus ... still not true ... Telstra does not provide a backbone to the WHOLE of Australia - there are many regional areas that are NOT supplied by Telstra and are ONLY supported by one of the other minor Telcos (eg Agile / Internode). This is what the HiBIS scheme is all about.

But you're missing the point a little ... it doesn't matter that Telstra provides a "backbone" to MORE of Australia than other ISPs ... it's highly irrelevant to the argument about ISPs ... and more importantly there are backbones and then there are backbones ... you need to distinguish between the "shorthaul" backbones between exchanges (of which Telstra runs the majority of them, since Telstra runs the majority of exchanges that have ADSL connected to them), and then there are "longhaul" backbones - interstate and overseas. It is these longhaul backbones I was referring too - these are the ones that are the most susceptible to outages (in that they affect more people when they break than a shorthaul backbone would) - and many of the ISPs run their own non-Telstra provisioned longhaul backbones.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that Telstra offers more of something than another ISP does - they still suck as an ISP - and I find it amusing that smaller ISPs can make parts of Telstra's network work more reliably than Telstra can ! (It's not just about the cables !)

mmm... just in case you hadn't picked up on it already ... I use and recommend Internode as an ISP - they have one of the most reliable NATIONAL networks and are one of the ISPs pushing the envelope of technology - bringing more and better broadband and forcing the bigger players to play catch-up.

Internode aren't the cheapest - but if you want ultra-fast, ultra-reliable broadband, you can't really go past them.

I work from home so I rely on my broadband connection - Internode have been amazingly reliable.

I too suggest you spend some time on the Whirlpool forums to get a feel for which ISPs have all the problems and which ones just keep on going.

Hi All

Thanks for the many leads and I will follow up each one.

As for the Telstra Debate , with all due respect, it is of no value to my question. Remember I am just a simple user who wants a relaible, movable, cost effective connection. I dont care who provides it as long as it is reliable.

So far....

I have checked Whirlpool and it is a little high end but I will use as a reference against the others and to check claims such as reliability..

Thanks for the comments re unwired. I had heard from others of problems. I had been suggested to look at Iinet.

Will take some time to shift through all but I reply.

The thread has helped me realise what I want is a capped mobile and broadband internet. Dump the landline.

Mrs 147 has finally agreed to no landline after much concern re what if our mobiles are down!. However the trade off will be a new mobile for her. Personally as long as they work I am happy to have a brick.

Very keen to consider the $79 Capped Optus acct. I find Optus are very quick to answer tech calls with a real person. A good point to have.

Any other recommendation re capped calls?

Thanks again for all the help, Peter 147 :)

I am a gumby too, but have just joined up to tpg's adsl plan 1500/256 with unlimited download...[capped at 20gig, then slows to dial up]. We can run 5 computers of it through a broadband router. At the grand cost of 49.95 per month....i dont think you will find much better than that!
Good luck.

Peter 147 said:
Hi All

Thanks for the comments re unwired. I had heard from others of problems. I had been suggested to look at Iinet.

The thread has helped me realise what I want is a capped mobile and broadband internet. Dump the landline.

Mrs 147 has finally agreed to no landline after much concern re what if our mobiles are down!. However the trade off will be a new mobile for her. Personally as long as they work I am happy to have a brick.

Very keen to consider the $79 Capped Optus acct. I find Optus are very quick to answer tech calls with a real person. A good point to have.

Any other recommendation re capped calls?

Thanks again for all the help, Peter 147 :)

Peter,

You do realise that if you want ADSL, you need to keep your landline yeah since that's the medium it runs over? The only way to dump the landline is to get Bigpond Cable, Optusnet Cable or Unwired.

What you can do though is get the capped Optus mobile account, spend $0 on your land line calls, and downgrade your landline plan to Telstra Homeline Budget which is about $19 a month.

HI Glebe

I was not certain. Thanks for the clarification.

If I get the Budget line and Broad band can I still recieve calls and make them via the line. Noteing calls would be expensive?

If I get cable via Optus and want to change to say Telstra in the future can i do this?

thanks Peter 147

Hi guys,

I always like to research things so spent a lot of time checking out the Whirlpool site before recently deciding on a Broadband internet provider.

Based on this I choose Internode and I have say that I am extremely pleased with them. Internode have been around for quite a few years and seem to be excellent in all areas including pricing, speed, realiability and customer/technical support.

Their technical support is excellent - probably some the best I have come across. I'd have no hesitation is recommending Internode.

Cheers - Gordon

Peter 147 said:
HI Glebe
I was not certain. Thanks for the clarification.

No worries.

Peter 147 said:
If I get the Budget line and Broad band can I still recieve calls and make them via the line. Noteing calls would be expensive?

Certainly can. You can review the plans here:
http://www.telstra.com.au/phones/homeservices/plans_comparisons.htm

Peter 147 said:
If I get cable via Optus and want to change to say Telstra in the future can i do this?

Yes and no. "Anything is possible" but watch out for for connection fees and 24 month contract periods :(

http://www.optus.com.au/portal/site...0VgnVCM1000006801540aRCRD&cpsextcurrchannel=1

Peter 147 said:
thanks Peter 147

Peter 147 ... my advice is never sign up for internet access on a contract - there are way too many good players in the marketplace and things are moving way too quickly to justify tying yourself into one ISP ... you don't want to get stuck on outdated or overpriced plans. Keep it flexible.

Back