Advice on facade renovation for newby - pics

Hi everyone!

Just joined this wonderful forum as we are planning a facelift in and out for our 60's home. As its very square in its shape we are hoping that it can be made to look more "modern".

Please see picture attached of the facade - any ideas on how we can transform it?

We were thinking rendering the brick, new windows and doing something with the fascia but not sure what?

Any advice would be so much appreciated

2077zix.jpg

106klkh.jpg

I wouldn't do a thing but remove the external blinds (is that blinds I can see?) and maybe render the fence. I quite like it just as it is, with a bit of a general tidy up.

If the blinds are needed due to facing West, I'd leave them and not remove them.

I think it looks quite retro, a bit architecture designed, and a bit funky.

Is this a living room and are the internal white blinds able to be replaced with something nicer?

we like 60s houses too. often have larger rooms and good bones. a wonderful example is 48 kingston tce north adelaide, by jack mcconnell. google it and its history and style, might give you some ideas.

good luck with your reno.

Wow - love the look of this! Rendering is a possibility, but you could also leave the brick as is and paint the trims (currently brown) a dark charcoal colour. As the others have said remove the blinds or curtains. However I would replace with wooden blinds (50mm slat) in either white or timber. This will give a modern linear effect.
If this was my property, I'd paint all the trims and window frames the darker colour and do timber blinds.
If you were to render/paint the house, do the fence in the same. Possibly increase the height of it by adding slatted timber inserts between built up pillars.
Hope that helps - make sure you show us the after photos!

Would relocating the door to the front be an option? Make a feature of the entrance with a nice door and landing? Move the entry gate to align to the middle also. Not a huge expense but would change the look significantly.

Rendering the brick out the front and removing the trees then replaceing with new plants will make a differenece. There isnt much to render of the front face so that would be cheap and just render a ~1m around the corner instead of the whole house.

New blinds are a must as that is what the front facade is mostly made up of! but the cost could vary significantly pending what you go with. Perhaps even some sheer curtin mesh stuff, like used on the block to give it the elegnat look plus privacy from the front

depends on whether its a cosmetic touch up or a significant job you are looking to do

for the best bang for buck, Grab some external paint, Something like ironstone grey,

paint the gate and gutters , and it will look a hell of a lot more modern..........for $50

Back