agent mixed up?

Hi everyone, I am in some kind of confusing situation and would like to find out from all the xperienced user up here that if there is anything i can do.

I had rented an apartment and lived in it for more than a year now.

Yesterday out of the blue i received a call from a person indicating to be my agent, requesting to see me immediately at the apartment block about rental issues.

I quit uni class and headed back home immediately but only to find this guy already gained access into my apartment unit and waited inside for me.

He requested me to hand out my tenancy agreement to him but i refused as i was in shock, then he handed me a letter indicating he will be locking me out of the apartment before 3pm this coming Sunday with the help of the police unit.

After he left, he called back and requested for the tenancy agreement again and needless to say the conversation was rude and intense. He also indicated that he will be coming back "to make sure i handed out my tenancy agreement".

I found that the address on the letter that was given to me was incorrect, the unit number is correct but block number is one block further down the street, the receiver's name is someone unknown to me.

Now i am worrying that due to his aggressive attitude, and the fact that he was able to get into the apartment without my permission, i am now resolved to living at my friend's place for the time being.

My agent also indicated they had sent no one, and will never gain access inside the apartment without informing myself.

The "guy" also refused to accept my explanation that the address was wrong, he said the letter could have mistake but the property is definitely the one i am living in.

what can i do?

call the RTA (or relevent authority) and let them know.

Its good that he gave you a letter so you can tell the RTA his name and the manner in which he entered your unit.

I assume you have been paying rent etc up until this point?

Edit - hang on, so he should be harassing someone 1 block down and not you? is that what I am reading?

I think it might be worth while doing as Jonril suggests and report it to the police, especially if you are so shaken up that you dont feel safe to live in that apartment at the moment.

thank you for your advice.

I have been paying rent on time for the entire period of the contract until today. What surprise me is that my agent (the one who signed the contract with me) had confirmed they are unaware of sending anyone over.

I had decided to go to the police as i feel the outcome of this problem could be quite unpredictable.

The bit about him gaining access to your apartment are huge alarm bells :eek: how did he get in?!! Definate go to the Police as others suggested and change your locks if you can.

Go to the police now,,,,,

This man is not your agent.

But most alarmingly, he not only managed to get inside your unit but

HE HAS YOUR PHONE NUMBER!!!!!!!

I am presuming you are a female living alone???

I don't mean to alarm you but this man has somehow gotten your phone number and accessed the property. Do you think he entered the property first and then managed to find your phone number on a bill or paper somewhere inside. Also even if he was your agent or anyone else's for that matter, why would he need a copy of the lease agreement. He. should have that already. Another alarming thing is how did he gain access if he isn't the agent? Does it look like a window or door has been forced? If you arnt the first tenant to occupy the property, he may be a previous tenant who has keys. Get new locks fitted!

My advice- stay with a friend, go to a police station taking the letter with you and report it, work out how he got in, DO NOT GO BACK UNLESS YOU HAVE A FRIEND WITH YOU (PREFERABLY A BIG MALE FRIEND), tell the agent what has happened.

For some reason which is beyond me, this man wants to see your tenancy agreement. Do not give or show it to him.

He sounds like a stalker and this, to me, sounds quite serious.

Please get this resolved today for your own safety.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
I wouldn't jump to conclusions, but I would contact the police if I was the OP.

What if the OP is mistaken and what they think is the "real agent" is some dodgy sub-leaser.

It could be the "Stalker" agent is just a pushy legitimate agent who has already been to VCAT and had a ruling in their favour.

I would still recommend the OP go to the police, but without facts we can't be sure what the real situation is.

Agree with Police report - if your agent doesn't know about him, then he is has gained illegal entry (somehow....). Chek everything to see if things have been stolen, cameras hidden (or you might be the next star on a hidden web cam video), etc....

The Y-man

As with the others, suggest police be notified and.............just in case, tell Uncle Mick

Attachments

• Mick.jpg
    Mick.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 84
Wow scary stuff :eek:

How would you know if hidden cameras had been installed anyway ? Isn't that why they are called "hidden" cameras ? :eek:

Couldn't the rental agent contact the owner and find out if they have any
issues, just to make sure the address is incorrect.

Yes, go to the police quickly.

Even if it was the correct apartment he would have no right to enter. He could be charged with a few offences probably.

Who knows what he did while he was in the apartment waiting. He could have gone through your personal papers and gathered information about you and he could have stolen things or worse!

Don't touch anything either.

One of my friends came home and found a water bottle on his table. he swore it wasn't his so he called the police and they immediately sent a forensic team around! It turned out the owner had illegally entered his apartment while he was out.

Yes, go to the police quickly.

One of my friends came home and found a water bottle on his table. he swore it wasn't his so he called the police and they immediately sent a forensic team around! It turned out the owner had illegally entered his apartment while he was out.

That's my own very strong suspicion in this case.

Who knows what he did while he was in the apartment waiting. He could have gone through your personal papers and gathered information about you and he could have stolen things or worse!

Yep...I'd be chucking out the toothbrushes and getting some new ones.

Boods

Back