Agent wouldn't take a written offer

stanley said:
???

I don't seem to be able to find any agent bashing posts in this thread.

I did, and he deserved it too.

The property was advertised at 400k+. KitKat was told 430k would buy it. Firstly 400k and 430k are a fair way apart and why was the buyer told what the owner may accept. KitKat decided to go above this at 435k. Surely this suggests a serious buyer for the property.

Expose this agent for what he is, a useless untrained immoral crook.

People will be getting hurt by his actions everyday.

Not sure about other states but in Qld it is legislation that an agent must refer all interest to the owner, verbal, written or otherwise. The agent should have come back to KitKat and allowed them to make their highest offer knowing there was now another interested party. This is undeniable and it is disgraceful for all parties concerned that it wasn't done.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Kristine,

Enjoyed reading all your posts, except this one.
KitKat appears to have a good reason to be annoyed.
Do you know this agent or is there more to this.

all the best,
A86

I haven't had a chance to knock on the door of the vendor as it has been dark when I get home and as they are elderly I think a stranger at the door would be a bit daunting! I will however get there over the weekend to have a chat.

I did ring the Jenman complaints where they encouraged me to try to find out the price as this may be the crux of the matter. However they did say that as Kristine pointed out that vendors may have unusual requests, such as just sell it to the first offer, or may even have someone particular in mind and not necessarily the highest offer. However in saying that I should have been informed of this.

One point that they found interesting was that the "Sold" sign appeared the very next day. The Jenman guy told me that it should really only be placed once the property has reached unconditional (i.e. 3 days post signing). This may mean that the property perhaps had been sold with a "subject to" clause and had gone unconditional by Saturday evening and the agents was lining up other offers in case the first fell through??

Kristine the section 32 was already done and available and I had seen it. Sorry that you have been offended by this post however I am not one to sit back and possibly be taken advantage of. If this was a case of me being able to find 3 like properties during the time I've spent complaining then I wouldn't be so upset. I have been actively seeking these type of properties in this area and there have been a grand total of 2 appearing in the past 15 months.

Kitkat said:
One point that they found interesting was that the "Sold" sign appeared the very next day. The Jenman guy told me that it should really only be placed once the property has reached unconditional (i.e. 3 days post signing). This may mean that the property perhaps had been sold with a "subject to" clause and had gone unconditional by Saturday evening and the agents was lining up other offers in case the first fell through??

This certainly does sound strange and i also think something dodgy is going on. I reckon that "Sold" sign has also probably disappeared by now, and if not, it will be removed soon. This would further enforce the notion that something sus has happened. I don't blame you for being so upset Kitkat and it's good to hear that you won't take it lying down. Please do not be pursuaded by others telling you differently and that you could have bought 3 more properties in the same time :rolleyes:

As they say, it's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Kevin Hockey, yes i guess you could interpret some of those posts as agent bashing, but i prefer to think of them as character bashing of the individual, not the occupation. It's important to distinguish between the person's character, and not to bash all agents based on this one guys' actions.

Cheers :)

Well, I put myself out of my comfort zone and approached the owners today. Unfortunately they didn't shed any light on the situation, just told me that they really "shouldn't disclose any information" about the sale.They did say that they had my first offer and that was all I got. Which is one good thing at least to know that they were given it, I just would still love to know what price it went for!

Oh well, will have to "put this one to sleep" but knowing that I investigated as well as I could. It also has given me the name of an agent who I would absolutely never list a property with!

Kitkat
Good on you for getting out of your comfort zone and approaching the vendors. At least now you can be comfortable that if anything shonky went on, the vendors must have still received a reasonable price, because otherwise they wouldn't have passed on your offer.

Same Thing

This happened to me and I am in Melbourne. Same scenario, elderly lady had a block of 4 units in Eltham, advertised in the local paper. She dealt with this agent because they had always handled the rentals.

I put in an offer on the Friday night,never heard anything so rang the agent Saturday morning, told it was his day off, was put through to another agent who took offer and said she would pass it on to the agent handling it. Monday morning, I got the terribly sorry the property has been sold. No disclosure on price and no my offer had not been passed on as it was sold Sautrday afternoon. Hey I put the offer in Friday night at 5.00 pm

Sold sticker appeared immediately, within 6 weeks it was back up for sale for ALMOST DOUBLE THE PRICE.

I went to the REIV and they said they would investigate but if it was dodgy they had no way of proving it.

So I made sure that everyone in the area knew about it, I told all the shopkeepers at local shopping centre and then out came the stories, apparently this agent does it constantly, with elderly people, same story, gets advertised at a very low price and is sold almost instantly. But prove the property has been purchased by the agent or relative. You can't.

I am not knocking agents, some of my best friends are real estate agents, but this agent is defininately dodgy. It just means that I will never use them and make sure than all my friends never use them.

There are bad apples in most barrels, hey look at the crooked accountants in the CPA magazine each month that get kicked out it doesn't mean we are all like that

Chris

Back