ahh, c'mon, share your hot tips for sydney with me

I just wonder..... what do people in Sydney who can't afford $500k for a house do? My own PPOR will be in the suburbs Jacques suggested (Hills area, Epping, etc) but not everyone can afford those houses. People who can only afford, say, $300k (your average $50k a year battlers) won't be looking in the Hills.
Alex

I just wonder..... what do people in Sydney who can't afford $500k for a house do? My own PPOR will be in the suburbs Jacques suggested (Hills area, Epping, etc) but not everyone can afford those houses. People who can only afford, say, $300k (your average $50k a year battlers) won't be looking in the Hills.
Alex

You can get a decent townhouse or duplex in Baulkham Hills for under 400k. There are still pockets of affordable places without going that far.. While lots of Sydney expensive, IF you want to buy you could find something on any budget.. Quick search for around 350k in Baulkham Hills

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=8223828&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1166087380
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=8223828&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1166087380

Nothing wrong with Northmead..

500k houses aren't usually first home buyers they usually have equity from a previous property... Epping is an upper middle class area, not middle in my opinion and doubt it has many first home buyers (except units and townhouses of course)

Alex

If it's strictly houses then there's a lot around that price range but you have to look at everything past Liverpool (south west) and beyond or everything past Blacktown out west. Either way your still a good hour from the city on a normal run.

I just wonder..... what do people in Sydney who can't afford $500k for a house do?
Live in a unit.

Hornsby seems to start at $170K for a studio apartment.

Though I'm not sure if there has been much capital growth in yet another apartment hoeycomb.

You can't tell me every young family can afford a $500k house. And they WILL want a house if they have kids.

Where is your average 'making $60k a year, single income family while one parent takes care of the kids' going to go? West. Where else can they go?

I think the Hills district is a great area too, but I still think the West has potential.
Alex

why focus on houses only? there are other options; units, townhouses, villas. These all provide very reasonable entry into the market. People need to learn that they have to settle sometimes, and they may not always get what they want first time around. There is something called starting at the bottom and working your way up.

This whole argument that property is unaffordable is total rubbish!

For arguments sake.. I found these which look reasonable

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=6108449&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1166073681

Building looks well maintained
Inside looks in good condition, but just needs updating
Price is reasonable at $439k
Not that close to the station though
Strata is expensive at $600 p/q

Hi Frank,

I just looked at the floor plan for the above unit...a heap of wasted space. I wonder if the wall forming the hallway and entrance foyer could be knocked out? Imo this would greatly increase the size of the lounge/dining room without detracting from appearance/function.

Ajax

Ajax

Not sure, but I see what you mean. You would be much better just having the bedrooms and kitchen back straight onto the dining/living room. How do you find out whether something like that is load bearing and whether it can removed prior to purcashing though?

Removing that wall would really open things up, rather than a maze of hallways and wasted space.. Well spotted

Grimey

Ajax

Not sure, but I see what you mean. You would be much better just having the bedrooms and kitchen back straight onto the dining/living room. How do you find out whether something like that is load bearing and whether it can removed prior to purcashing though?

Removing that wall would really open things up, rather than a maze of hallways and wasted space.. Well spotted

Grimey

hey! i spotted that first :( and i posted from the north syd lep that you can't just change the internal layout without da. it's not complying development. so the onyl way to remove it prior to purchase would be to get the owner to put in da...

If the LEP doesn't allow it as a complying development wouldn't you then lodge a Building Application with North Sydney Council (assuming a builder/structural engineer confirmed that the wall is not load bearing).

I suppose you would start to question this purchase if changes require approvals (unless you were very familiar with council's policies).

Ajax

i'd take a guess that the only person able to lodge a development application with the council is the person who owns the property... not a prospective buyer

i'd take a guess that the only person able to lodge a development application with the council is the person who owns the property... not a prospective buyer

From what I understand, as long as you have written permission from the vendor allowing you to begin the DA process prior to purchase, then most councils are ok with this. You could always offer an option fee as a sweetener in case you discover the renovations can't be done. It will largely, however, depend on the Owners Corporation as to what will be allowable in strata buildings.

As far as my favourite capital city goes in terms of growth.....

I still believe that Sydney is and will continue to remain an international standard city of immense popularity, increasing migration and wealth and, despite all the current doom and gloom, will grow over time to remain a great investment choice. The demand is and will remain very strong.

As far as affordability goes, there is plenty of stock in Sydney under $500K- you just have to be willing to look and possibly compromise on your wishlist :) As Joanna has rightly pointed out, don't just consider houses- expand your thinking to include medium and high density as demand for this type of living has increased as land supplies dwindle and prices rise.

My favs are still the North Shore (especially lower) the rapidly expanding Norwest region (some real sub $500K bargains for freestanding homes around which are in fantastic positions) parts of the Inner West and Inner CBD (I like Potts Point/Elizabeth Bay in particular). I also like particular Northern suburbs for their proximity to transport, their largely owner occupier population and their affordability. However, this isn't to say that the south doesn't have great buys- I just don't know that side of Sydney!!

The crappy thing about NSW is the state based taxes such as land tax that really eat into your cashflow (especially if purchasing in a trust or buying land higher than the current $352K threshold) however such laws do have the capacity to change (I live in hope!).

sydney west

Luc.rocks

Not sure I agree 100%

Picture this !

If I was to build on a new block of land OUT west say$280k and build new home for $255k. Total cost + construction interest and land holding costs until done say another $25k, which would total $560k or so.
Then compare it to a completed home 3 years old with the same bedroom size and location selling for $440k. . The 3 year old home owner has come into financial hardship along with 5000 others (mortgagee sales). Which has created a window for a bargain. Rents $375 -380.00 per week. $120K DIFFERENCE

That differnece is a lot of money . If the replacement value is 30% more to build the same home I dont seem to see were the risk lies.

There is always good buys around everywhere whens times get tough.

IMHO

OV

Back