Ahoy dog owners/ lovers

Hi all,

We have just inherited a beautiful border collie/ shepherd cross (i think) from a rental property. He was very neglected and very sad but we've nursed him back to health, fed him up and I've been running and swimming with him daily and he has, surprisingly, come up a million bucks and seems as happy as Larry, well "Robbie" actually.
My question is, Robbie has what I think might be an eczema type thing and is scratching himself red raw. The eczema is basically just really dry flakey skin under his coat and looks like it just needs a good moisturize. Does any one have a possible cure for little Robbie as its stressing him out. I prefer natural remedies as far as possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Slingshot

Hey Slingshot, that's a great story about Robbie - sounds like you got a friend for life there :)

This may sound too obvious, but do you notice many fleas on him? Flea bites can cause a nasty allergy - red flaky skin, and explains all the scratching. Advantage works very well on our dogs - liquid form which is squirted on the back of the neck.

What a wonderful story and gain for you, (and for Robbie)....the border collie part really hits to my heart, a working dog trainer of them, they are amazing and intelligent workers...I learn stuff off them.

Maybe many things Slingshot, a vet would be able to take scrapings from the site and give you a more accurate diagnosis, of what it might be/may not be...and subsequent follow up.

Just means your not walking around, taking potshots in the dark then.

Beautiful story, congratulations for all of you, big hug to Robbie. Love my border collies.

He could also be allergic to some types of plants or grass.

A quick vet check is they way to go.

Whilst you're waiting for your appointment you can wash your dog in the ' oatmeal shampoo and conditioner...that's quite calming for the skin. (comes in a white bottle with a greenish label)
Or with 'malaseb' which is a type of....what's the word...disinfectant?

Last edited:
our dog has turned out to be allergic to "grass" ... she rolls in the grass which makes her back itchy, so she rolls in the grass ... i notice it's improved dramatically since we've moved to where there is no grass.

she has very senstive skin so i also wash her in a puppy wash - make sure to rinse thoroughly because any soap substance left on the skin will irritate as well.

I noticed a poster at the vet showing plants that can irritate the skin of a dog. One that I recognised was "wandering Jew". I don't know its botanical name, but google it and you may find you have it in your garden. It is very common in Brisbane gardens, specially older gardens.

Hey Slingshot - good on you for rescuing your new best friend!

Noticed you are on the Gold Coast - I have a friend here who is a vet - pm me if you would like her details.

Cheers
Stella

Hey guys and girls, thanks for all the lovely responses!

We've taken it all on board and we are chatting to Robbie about it as we speak.
As far as fleas go, I haven't seen any and Ive washed and groomed him lots but my girlfiend spotted some early on when I was away, none visible now at all.

Just a wee bit of a funny story.

I was gloating when my girlfriend arrived home tonight about how fab he looked as 'we' (the dog and I that is) had a very big wash today and I brushed him beautifully and cut the last of the remaining mattes and dags away. She agreed that he looks great and was pretty happy overall until I let it slip that I also gave him a good 'conditioning' using her Tresemme' hair conditioner. She was not all that happy, horrified in fact, but Robbie was stoked.

Robbie's glowing but I'm in the dog house!

Stella thanks I'll keep it in mind and handy to know anyway. We'll see how he goes this week.

Really appreciate your help all and I may even post a pix, you'll love him.

Slingshot

Well, I would love to see a picture of Robbie!

I realise you live in QLD, but if Paul ever gets up around there, or you guys feel like a bit of a holiday in Gippsland, especially around Welshpool, with Robbie...this is so much fun:

http://wkgdog.customer.netspace.net.au/cityslickerdogsc.html

Your dog has a deep seated natural (talent) instinct, and at these cityslicker dog camp weekends owners and the dogs get to have so much fun...you learn more about training (yourself, firstmostly :) ) ...and the dogs get to show off their natural talent...it is just so much unbelievable fun.

Run by a great trainer/educator, (Paul Macphail):

http://wkgdog.customer.netspace.net.au/

It's dog heaven.

That's great !!!
Rescued animals generally make great pets.

The cat we rescued from of our properties a couple of years ago, died last month.
He was only 3, and he died in his sleep (think due to malnourishment when a stray), but you couldn't ask for a more loving, affectionate pet.

I also gave him a good 'conditioning' using her Tresemme' hair conditioner.

great on you for adopting such a lovely dog - good natured (at heart) dogs that come from abused home's seem to make the best pets. it's like they understand their second chance and are so grateful.

on the point of the human conditioner ... you shouldn't use human washing products on dogs at all. it can literally burn their skin off or, at least, irritate as human cleansers are too acidic for dogs.

http://www.wikihow.com/Groom-a-Dog (view the warnings section down the bottom).

your girlfriend will be relieved. :D

Last edited:
I have also heard that you shouldn't use human products on dogs. Our poodle has sensitive skin, and the vet put us onto the gentle product mentioned earlier and we then pop in a "doggy" leave in conditioner, which does make him soft and silky.

He gets better treatment than the humans around here :eek:.

Thanks again for all the good advice. I will definitely lay off my girlfriends hair products for a while. I think you are all totally correct about 1.border collies and 2. the rescued animal scenario. Its only been a few weeks and he's turning out to be absolutely wonderful. Really obedient and just a lovely nature and super smart.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Slingshot

There are a few Aloe Vera products that could work quite well. I remember watching a video on it. There are vets who now only use nutural remidies he in OZ and O/S.
The trouble is without knowing what the problem is I can't suggest anything.
A diagnosis form a vet is recommended. Just point out to them you don't want any treatment as you wish to use natural remedies.

Years ago I took my Sydney Silkie to the vet because she was was looking a bit scabby on the rump from constantly chewing/scratching herself, something she'd only recently started doing. Straight off he asked what food I fed her and when I said biscuits he asked were they Good O's, which they were. Turns out that Good O's (then anyway, don't know about now) raised the temperature of the blood which made the dog scratch which in turn made their blood temp rise which......................and so on, and I'd only recently started feeding her them.

Keep the food simple and try not to spoil the dog with what you consider treats which in fact may not be good for the dog e.g. human shampoo and conditioner isn't supposed to be good for dogs. :) Canned food is OK, as is raw chicken or make up a mixture of meat, rice, grated carrot, animal sausage cut into chunks - bland food basically.

Definitely don't feed a dog chocolate - they don't have the enzyme to deal with it and can die from eating too much. Doggy chocolate is OK.

A nice soothing doggy excema cream will help while you get to the 'bottom of things'. :)

Olly

How wonderful...a new addition to the family...there is nothing like a fun playmate-dog. They just like to be with you...hang about...play...sleep at your feet...have a ride in the car. I'd be lost without my pooch...had him 16 years now...and what a faithful companion.

Some breeds have more sensitive skins than others. Sailor has sensitive skin and has to be washed weekly in Oatmeal shampers...he loves it.

Back