Air con semi broken

Hi all,

My tenants reported a broken air con.

Upon inspection it seems one of the internals is malfunctioning and the only way to turn the unit on and off is at the power switch board.

They can still use the air con but have to go outside to turn it on and off.

The unit is at least 20 years old and seems unlikely to get it repaired.

Is it a must for me to replace this unit or can I leave it as is?
Just wondering what to do here. A brand new air con will cost around a $1000 mark plus labour.

Any advice?

Thanks

Your rental agreement was for as unit with a working air conditioner.

Unless the tenants are happy to go outside and turn it on and off (which I would not be) you need to fix or replace it.

The cost of owning IP's I'm afraid.

Your rental agreement was for as unit with a working air conditioner.

Unless the tenants are happy to go outside and turn it on and off (which I would not be) you need to fix or replace it.

The cost of owning IP's I'm afraid.

I am constantly amazed when owners of IP's dont factor in repairs to equipment in the property they rent out :(

Time to sell the property - it sounds like it may become dangerous soon. :eek:

How often has it been serviced in the last 20 years?

Seriously though, it is probably a switch which has gone and the tech should be able to replace it - what have they said or is it your guestimate that it will cost $1k to replace? New window rattlers

Here's a cheapa alternative. If it is working in every other way and does not need replacing, assuming to fix the problem internally is uneconomical, why not have a switch put in beside the a/c. A sparky could fit a switch right beside the unit for approx $100-$150 and not require more than a couple of screws or a small hole in the wall (assume gyprock) which can easily be repaired later when you dig deeper into your pocket when a/c fails.

Back