Air Conditioner Repair - is this quote reasonable?

Hi All

Our IP townhouse needs the ducted aircon repaired. It stopped working last week.
The PM had someone in to have a look and investigate the cause of the problem.

It's a gas leak. He quoted $1750 (inc GST), excluding any replacement parts. And ncluding the following:
- nitrogen pressure test ,
- locate and repair the leak,
- recharge with refrigerant,
- carry out a general service to the equipment.

He also has already charged a $176 call out fee.

I'm thinking of getting a second opinion but I'm afraid the next company will charge the same and we will end up having to pay two call out fees.

Does this sounds reasonable or expensive? The property is in North West Sydney. The aircon unit is an Airwell and is about 6 years old, so probably out of warranty.

Thanks in advance

Thanks. I spoke to the guy who quoted the repair, he mentioned that the air con needs R-22 which costs a fortune! About $250 p/ kilo and the thing needs about 5 kilos worth of R-22. arghhh

r22 is being phased out of the industry, commercially anyway?. the parts are becoming more scarce hence more expensive.

Of course it will depend on the damage, model, etc, but I had the ducted aircon in my IP in Brisbane serviced, leak fixed, 2kg of refrigerant, wall panel rewired (only the remote control was working). All for $591 including the call out fee.

Replacing gas in air con

We also had air con issues, paid $300 plus per kg (3kg needed) for refrigerant end of last summer on multi heads not ducted. Issues again couple weeks ago when it was started up again for cooling. Gas gone again so leak not fixed properly. If you get gas replaced make sure you have something in writing to say they will cover the same fault! We are in the process of replacing that system which also allows us to get newer models and avoid the old refrigerant issue. Obviously we had no comeback on the so called previous repair! Your gas replacement cost is certainly better than our deal.
Mitch

Back