Am I a tight a$$, am I doing it wrong?

If you have never met her, all the more reason not to refer to something as she does as 'disgusting'. Hey, I had a cool head when I made my comments. 'Disgusting' and other adjectives you used would suggest you did not?.:D Looks like you should take your own advice.

Out of context much?

I think Kathryn should write a book on the subject, it would probably be a best seller.

I have to admit though I don't hang around with tight **** people cos it puts me off, not sure why, but I almost feel disgusted by the behaviour/culture, no offence to Kathryn.

Also refer to post#173

PG,I suggest you take a step back and think.

Have a nice day and thankyou :)

Was in bali a few weeks ago,

The rate is 11,000 indo rupiah to the dollar

Me and my friends went looking for massage that was 5000 cheaper
Dinner that was 10,000 cheaper

We bargained a taxi down by 50,000

Felt like I got a bargain, only to realise it was 50c discount

Felt like a real tight a$$

TMNT
I don't barter in Bali I kind of feel that extra money may perhaps make a difference in their life, not going to change my world.

Cheers
MTR:)

Out of context much?

Also refer to post#173

PG,I suggest you take a step back and think.

Have a nice day and thankyou

Thanks Spades, you get it.:)
I guess on a forum its very easy for anyone to take things out of context and twist it around and totally mess it up. I am a lover not a fighter:)

Was in bali a few weeks ago,

The rate is 11,000 indo rupiah to the dollar

Me and my friends went looking for massage that was 5000 cheaper
Dinner that was 10,000 cheaper

We bargained a taxi down by 50,000

Felt like I got a bargain, only to realise it was 50c discount

Felt like a real tight a$$
Shouldn't feel that way, I like to think of it as a game.
Even when they accept your price that was one quarter of what they originally asked for, they are still probably doubling their money at least.
It's fun to argue over a dollar, see them concede and then tell them to keep the change :p
I might be a bit cruel :p

Even when they accept your price that was one quarter of what they originally asked for, they are still probably doubling their money at least.
It's fun to argue over a dollar, see them concede and then tell them to keep the change :p

OK it makes you feel good you scored over those who are vulnerable.....bully for you, give yourself a medal you screwed some poor *******

OK it makes you feel good you scored over those who are vulnerable.....bully for you, give yourself a medal you screwed some poor *******

MTR, just because you have more money then them, doesn't make them poor people

A lot of the Balinese are very happy with what they have, they ate less money orientated like other asian races
In fact I wouldn't be surprised if most of those drivers lived a better life then me

It's only because one dollar gets us three tic tacs in Australia do you feel bad screwing them out of the last dollar

Especially in the tourist areas, they charge double, triple, quad so even if they lose an extra dollar, it's still a big Payday for them

Just don't take it personally

Example; I don't thibk an aus cab driver would be complaining if you negotiated a normally 50 fare down from 250 down to 167.55 without the meter!!!!

Yes agree, must admit got a bit sick of getting in and out of cabs up to four consecutive times for one trip with drivers who initially said meter was fine, until I got in, they refused giving lame answers as to why they couldn't do meter

End up tipping the ones that did meter very well

It's a way of life and culture in many Asian countries to bargain for goods/services. I bargain when I'm in Asia, if the price is too low, they just won't sell it to you. Even at the bargained price, im probably still ripped off compared to what locals would pay.

I screwed them? When they try and charge you 20 Australian dollars for a towel that they bought for 1 dollar how is it me who is screwing them? There is no "scoring" as they are not going to give anything away for free/less than they bought it for.

calm down
you cant force somebody to sell something at less than they want to by barter

Its funny as hell listening to balinese speak about those who don't bargain.
If you speak a little balinese, then its all smiles and try to teach you more.
If you wish, be the boo-lay 'stupid white man'.

calm down

Fair enough, and I was probably a little harsh on those who barter.

So the Balinese rip off the Aussies, I am sure some do, but in the main they are poor, Third World country, my point was saving 50 cents or whatever seems a little silly to me, I can not even buy a coffee in Australia with this. If at the end of the trip I save $10 even that so what, not going to change my quality of life

calm down

This is true Bob.
They have a cut off sell price, you have a cut off buy price. Where they meet is the price you pay. It makes me laugh when people say they got ripped off. What they should say is- they didn't bargain hard enough.

I go to Bali regularly. I like bargaining and get things VERY cheap. But then I leave a tip. I'd rather do that as then the person gets the money. If you pay a higher price you are only helping the big boss get richer.

If you are bargaining with a cab you are DEFINITELY paying too much no matter how good a bargainer you are. They will not go to what the meter price will be. I NEVER bargain with taxi drivers. Only get Bluebird taxi's they use the meter. I tip them asw it's VERY cheap. Where else can you get a taxi for 5 km for less than $2?

Yes it is interesting hearing the converstations (I don't let on I speak Indonesian) when going into shops. It can get very funny when they realise I speak Indonesian. :D

In Bali, I speak and can be understood, In Jakarta I speak and nobody knows what I mean,
Indonesian: bum; islandese so many dialects, pronunciations, different emphasis, harder than being understood in Paddo

Thats it, Done: there's not room in my head to learn any more

If you won't haggle :p
BRIAN: How much? Quick.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: What?
BRIAN: It's for the wife.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Oh. Uhhh, twenty shekels.
BRIAN: Right.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: What?
BRIAN: There you are.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Wait a minute.
BRIAN: What?
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Well, we're-- we're supposed to haggle.
BRIAN: No, no. I've got to get--
HARRY THE HAGGLER: What do you mean, 'no, no, no'?
BRIAN: I haven't time. I've got--
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Well, give it back, then.
BRIAN: No, no, no. I just paid you.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Burt!
BURT: Yeah?
HARRY THE HAGGLER: This bloke won't haggle.
BURT: Won't haggle?!
BRIAN: All right. Do we have to?
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Now, look. I want twenty for that.
BRIAN: I-- I just gave you twenty.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Now, are you telling me that's not worth twenty shekels?
BRIAN: No.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Look at it. Feel the quality. That's none of your goat.
BRIAN: All right. I'll give you nineteen then.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: No, no, no. Come on. Do it properly.
BRIAN: What?
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Haggle properly. This isn't worth nineteen.
BRIAN: Well, you just said it was worth twenty.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Ohh, dear. Ohh, dear. Come on. Haggle.
BRIAN: Huh. All right. I'll give you ten.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: That's more like it. Ten?! Are you trying to insult me?! Me, with a poor dying grandmother?! Ten?!
BRIAN: All right. I'll give you eleven.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Now you're gettin' it. Eleven?! Did I hear you right?! Eleven?! This cost me twelve. You want to ruin me?!
BRIAN: Seventeen?
HARRY THE HAGGLER: No, no, no, no. Seventeen.
BRIAN: Eighteen?
HARRY THE HAGGLER: No, no. You go to fourteen now.
BRIAN: All right. I'll give you fourteen.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Fourteen?! Are you joking?!
BRIAN: That's what you told me to say.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Ohh, dear.
BRIAN: Ohh, tell me what to say. Please!
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Offer me fourteen.
BRIAN: I'll give you fourteen.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: He's offering me fourteen for this!
BRIAN: Fifteen!
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Seventeen. My last word. I won't take a penny less, or strike me dead.
BRIAN: Sixteen.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Done. Nice to do business with you.
BRIAN: Huh.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Tell you what. I'll throw you in this as well.
BRIAN: I don't want it, but thanks.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Burt!
BURT: Yeah?
BRIAN: All right! All right! All right!
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Now, where's the sixteen you owe me?
BRIAN: I just gave you twenty.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Oh, yeah. That's right. That's four I owe you, then.
BRIAN: Well, that's all right. That's fine. That's fine.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: No. Hang on. I've got it here somewhere.
BRIAN: That's all right. That's four for the gourd.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Four? For this gourd? Four?! Look at it. It's worth ten if it's worth a shekel.
BRIAN: But you just gave it to me for nothing.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: Yes, but it's worth ten!
BRIAN: All right. All right.
HARRY THE HAGGLER: No, no, no, no. It's not worth ten. You're supposed to argue, 'Ten for that? You must be mad!' Ohh, well. [sniff] One born every minute.

Only get Bluebird taxi's they use the meter. I tip them asw it's VERY cheap. Where else can you get a taxi for 5 km for less than $2?
This, Always use the bluebirds as they seem like the only legit taxi company there. Always tip the driver a few extra dollars and you can tell they really appreciate it.
Tip a driver in Australia an extra dollar and they probably wouldn't even say thanks.

Does anyone tip in Australia???

In USA I asked what should I tip?? was told at least 15% of total bill is the norm, but then again hospitality industry - that forms part of their wages, I think they work on something like $8 per hour??

Does anyone tip in Australia???

In USA I asked what should I tip?? was told at least 15% of total bill is the norm, but then again hospitality industry - that forms part of their wages, I think they work on something like $8 per hour??

In Australia I give a small tip at restaurants but nolt much anywhere else.

When researching for my travel there are often heated arguements on travel forums about tips (especially with Americans).

They are brought up to believe you should tip well. We on the other hand are brought up to believe everyone should receive a fair wage for a fair job (not rely on tips to make ends meet). We will never agree on that.
Even in countries where tipping is not expected many Americans HAVE to tip.
We (hubby and I) shared a taxi for the day with 2 Americans. The price was 60Euro for 4 hours. The trip was great and cheap. So we all said we'd give a tip. I was thinking 5 Euro for both of us. They gave 10 and 12 Euro each. I ended up giving 10 Euro for both of us as I didn't want to look lousy. The guy would have been ecstatic as he got a 50% tip.:eek:

When I went to Russia the 3 day tour was $400US each. The "recommended" tip was 10% for the guide and 5% for the driver. So on top of oyur $800 we were excpected to give $120 tip. In discussions on a travel forum wher somebody asked how much to tip (the arguements that ensued were hillarious). some Americans gave more because the guide was good. Some Australians gave the guide $20 and the driver $10.

It just varies so much. I've been avoiding America because of the tipping issues. I think everyone should pay the same price.

When Australians book cruises now they include the gratuities because they know that Australian typically take them off when they board (I'm being general here, I know not everyone does). If you book in America the gratuities are added to your bill on board.

I tip occasionally when at restaurants inAustralia if the service is good.

In America, we were expected to tip btw 15-20 percent at restaurants....sometimes, they write this at the bottom of the bill to give you a guide. Generally the service at restaurants in America is amazing, so I feel happy to tip, the workers work hard to wow you, and the price of food is generally quite cheap. Found it hard to tip taxi drivers as taxi fares were not cheap and the service of driving a to b was nothing special.

Americans are brought up on a culture of tipping so when overseas they usually tip a lot better than Australians.

You make some good points travel bug

Having experience both a receiver and payer of wages in hospitality, receiving tips is very rewarding

That being said, have you ever heard of a retail shop assistant being tipped for good service??? So why does tipping apply to hospitality?

If the wages for retail and hospitality were the same I see no need for tips to make financial sense as an employee/fair equilibrium .

But yes the recent mobile terminals and pin only credit card regulations will kill tipping in Australia, I reckon tips will fall 50-80% unless it's a cash business, unfortunate, but reality

Generally the service at restaurants in America is amazing, so I feel happy to tip, the workers work hard to wow you, and the price of food is generally quite cheap.

I guess that all depends on what you consider amazing service though, doesn't it?

If I go to a restaurant, I go to enjoy the meal & the company of the person/people that I am with. I want to be left alone, unless I gesture that I would like service.

I vividly remember eating at a restaurant in America. The waitress was in our face the entire time. It was not at all enjoyable as we couldn't carry on a conversation without her coming to 'see if we needed anything'. Ended up telling her to go away & don't come back!

Back