Am I a tight a$$, am I doing it wrong?

For example, I'd spend $5-6k on a middle of the range mattress because it helps me get a good sleep and I don't want bad posture or back problems when I'm 50.

If 6k is middle of the range, how much is a high-end mattress? I purchased one recently for $1100 (discounted from $1800 I think) and it is extremely comfortable. I stayed in a 5 star hotel last weekend and was disappointed in comparison. I'm curious to know how much better that extra 5k actually makes it :p

I've had back surgery btw so my back would probably notice it more than most.

If 6k is middle of the range, how much is a high-end mattress? I purchased one recently for $1100 (discounted from $1800 I think) and it is extremely comfortable. I stayed in a 5 star hotel last weekend and was disappointed in comparison. I'm curious to know how much better that extra 5k actually makes it :p

I was thinking the same thing, a $1200 mattress here. I never believe all those Sale stickers though, you can haggle any big ticket item.

I hate those people that will buy anything expensive because it is expesnive

its usually these people that have no idea about actual quality, and who talk about how good their overpriced goods are compared to the not so expensive ones, when they truly have no idea.

these people if their item was priced the same as other medium to above average pricing would not go near it and would be bagging it out like no tomorrow

I usually say to them, blind fold yourself, and if you can tell teh difference in actual quality between the 5x priced one and the 2x priced one, then you have my full respect

95% would fail this test I guarantee

Sounds like if you hadn't have been in your car at the time you probably wouldn't have been in the accident. ;)

As the guy who hit me was drugged and intoxicated and ran a red to get onto a freeway, I'm glad I was in a car rather than as a pedestrian crossing the road at the same time.

Funny thing was he texted me the next day to ask me what he should say to his insurance company. I was thinking, you're lucky no one's seriously injured or you'd spend your next 20 years in prison.

Not sure... I find them quite good at the start especially if it has good spring systems and some type of gel for breathing space, memory foam etc. However after a 6-7 years it'll probably wear as well just like a $1000 mattress. $6k is pre-discount. You can always haggle down or wait for sales (which I do). I presume a 5-star hotel would give you pretty poor mattresses.

There're some pretty high end stuff at the $8-10k range but I'm not convinced it adds much difference. I think the main thing is the material in the middle is better but not sure how that impacts back support.

Is it worth it? Well as TMNT says, it could be stupid in some regard. But it comes down to if you can afford it comfortably, would you? And how much is your back worth to you? Maybe it makes no difference. And even if it did, you'd probably die at the same age anyway as anyone else. The best back support is probably to sleep on the floor, which is free.

As for cars, I can assure you there's usually a pretty noticeable difference between a more expensive car and a less expensive one that you would probably feel it if you were blind, assuming you haven't hit someone blindfolded yet.

TMNT's problem is true for many people

hey TMNT

This thread is old but I found your dilemma really interesting so thanks for the post. I know many people who struggle with the problem you mentioned - i believe we can all be sucked into "Penny wise pound foolish"! I think its leftover from some of our "depression mentality" parents. Striking a balance is certainly the key, as mentioned by many.

At the end ofthe day, finding the cheapest deal (on meals, petrol, beds etc) involves your time. If you could spend more of that same time saving $400 on a mattress say, than on a $2 petrol refill, its wise.

On the otherhand, if looking for cheap petrol is your favourite pastime, you have just gotten yourself very cheap entertainment! In other words, I think when Kathryn_D went to the market and also got maccas cones for 60c, she really enjoyed doing it, its like a pastime, so thats great. But if you did that for its own sake, it wouldnt be worth it right!?

Perhaps when deciding how far one should go to "save" money, the rule of thumb is "how much could I earn/save doing something else I like (eg working, reading up on investments, looking for a better mattress/car/watch:p deal)."The habits that our parents passed on to us are annoyingly hard to break, so many people I know save for saving sake, they are really tight, unpleasant to be with (as mentioned in this thread) and seem to have lost sight of the whole purpose of saving -so that you can enjoy your limited lifespan! (My dad was really tight his whole life and died at 76, leaving behind an incredibly large amount of $$ assets etc that he never got to enjoy because he was always worried "there wont be enough" - in hospital, he was more worried about the cost of the private room than on his illness -this is so sad - I really would like to avoid that - losing sight of what money is for!)

A lot. A good quality Latex mattress is where it's at.

Absolutely sensational. We bought a Pure Comfort and we love it!

BR

On the subject of being frugal, or getting something for almost nothing.

Want a free return trip anywhere in Australia, join AMX (American Express Platinum Card), don't need any points, just have to join, I think its $99 per year. There is a thread on this for anyone interested just search.

Cheers
MTR:)

interesting chat with a friend,

he asked me for advice on negotiating tactics recently for a property, proerty was about $300-$350k,

he offered a tad lower then the asking price, and asked for my opinion,

I told him, dont be swayed by the asking price, its worth what its worth regardless of asking $200, 300, 400k

he was going to offer $5k below asking price because if its asking that much, it must be worth that much,

I suggested he offer $10k below asking price, based on time on market
after 1 day of negotiatons, he got it for $9k off the asking price,

this guys is pretty conservative in his personal spending

anyway, he called me today and thanked me for my advice, as he got it for $4k below what he was willing to pay,

he's just been to thailand for 14 days, stayed in 5 star hotels, and lived like a king, , says he spent $2500 all up including flights, hotels, alcohol, food

hes got another $1500 left, and he is going buy a tablet, and buy a new motorbike,

man! makes me feel a bit silly saving $1 per meal at restaruants and fast food joints choosing the cheaper options!

food for thought ;)

Bought a new king sized bed last month, 2nd best model they make.
Had it cut and zipped so now I can't feel when my partner rolls over during the night.
Two separate bases
Delivered and an old one taken away for $900 total.

he's just been to thailand for 14 days, stayed in 5 star hotels, and lived like a king, , says he spent $2500 all up including flights, hotels, alcohol, food
That actually sounds like quite a bit for Thailand ;)
I guess some of us know how to get better deals.

That actually sounds like quite a bit for Thailand ;)
I guess some of us know how to get better deals.

really???

I didnt hear the break down, but with my fantastic web searching skills,

$500 return flights, 13 nights 5 star hotel at $90=1670, leaving $830, which is $60 per day for living it up!

or am I doing it wrong ;)

really???

$500 return flights, 13 nights 5 star hotel at $90=1670, leaving $830, which is $60 per day for living it up!

We went there in February. I can't remember what the flights were, but they were cheaper than that. We didn't go 5 star, 4 star, I think & it cost us $26 per night, booked online before we left. We moved around a bit while we were there & found places to stay as we went. That $26 hotel was one of the most expensive.

really???

By the time you have hookers it will add up

really???

Air asia or scoot flights for half that and staying in something like this for $400/week is more my style ;)
1d5c0de4-a1e9-42d5-88ac-bef8fa915e7b116995_hires.jpg

http://www.villarenters.com/rent-vi...he-plantation--pa-prai-villas--hua-hin-116995

For a few bucks more I have stayed here in Pattaya several times as well
front%2001.jpg

http://www.villarenters.com/rent-villas/thailand/jomtien/love-nest--villa-(majestic-residence)-78262
lounge.jpg

Close to everything but far enough away that you never see or hear it if you don't want to.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Back