American House Prices Rocketing (From a Low Base)

What is the establishment costs.

I have looked at some of these financing deals and with the establishment costs, the relatively small loans and the short time frame 2-3 years. The establishment fees pushed the actual finance cost over 11% pa.

As per my previous post the problem with the US market is the limited scope for capital gains. If you are buying higher than we were then the gains are going to be marginal. Obviously, the finance, if it comes in at realistic % will make a difference to your returns but with the management costs and difficulties there will be better deals in Aust.

Cheers
Handy Andy,
I will have all the financing details out by next week including upfront fees etc. Its looking very attractive.

Taxes in Texas are very high, this is one reason I did not buy in this area.

At the end of the day the figures had to stack up, anything over 20% gross with all outgoings, suitable property and subdivision I was in.

In Atlanta taxes can vary anywhere from $700 - $2500 for my properties, depending on the value of course, however county taxes have dropped significantly due to the properties purchase price/value dropping. Some of my county taxes have been reduced by as much as 50%. However I expect taxes will start to rise again due to property prices increasing in value.

i'll take taxes over white belt state maintenance.

I believe they have missed the boat, and now with the Aussie $ falling IMO its suicide to jump in.

Wise words indeed.

As with most investments, the time to buy is when everyone thinks you are a total idiot for doing so. That time has passed.

I own just two properties in the USA. Sure, I have made some money. But property management is a huge problem. Not for the faint hearted.

Hi Spectre
There is funding available for foreign investors, however I would not touch it.

One of the reasons the prices are rising so rapidly is that the first time in US history the huge Super funds have been purchasing foreclosure properties by the thousands and they are not concerned about the yields like we Aussies/foreign investors are. In effect there are sometimes 20+ offers on 1 property.

MTR

Yeah I know. I was doing a few attempts with Karina and I can only imagine the frustration she goes through daily. Shes well worth speaking to.

Now I see more people buying back into the brisbane market though than talking about overseas, and yeah with the AUD / hedge...

Wise words indeed.

As with most investments, the time to buy is when everyone thinks you are a total idiot for doing so. That time has passed.

I own just two properties in the USA. Sure, I have made some money. But property management is a huge problem. Not for the faint hearted.

What states are you based in? You don't think some of the other states are still yet to have a bit of a run?

What states are you based in? You don't think some of the other states are still yet to have a bit of a run?

I am not too fussed about states or even locations. My houses were bought at bank auctions for around 10% of what they sold for at the peak of the market in 2007. Most of those kinds of bargains have all but gone.

For those who do the homework (and cut out the middle-men) there is still some value out there if you have US$ to spend. But there are more than a few hassles involved.

Once you have bought your targeted property, the next step is to find competent people to do renovations. And then reliable property managers to rent out the houses.

IMHO you really need to be on the ground. I ended up spending a few pleasant but frustrating months in the USA tying up loose ends.

If you cannot afford the time or cope with fluctuating exchange rates, don't do it - it's not for the faint-hearted or for those who are not prepared to put up with more than a few hassles.

Hi one world

Yes, this is a big one, 1st, 2nd and third man out of the equation and you can make money.

The problem is most of the Aussie companies selling foreclosure properties who are buying directly from auction/banks are not selling these to their clients at purchase price.

I have seen some foreclosures with as much as 50-70% over purchase price. Many of these companies will not provide an address of the property because if they do you will easily be able to find out the purchase price and realise you have been ripped off.

Many of these companies provide funding, once again, this is BS funding, cos they are selling the property for 50% above purchase, therefore you are actually funding it yourself :eek:

When I was buying in Atlanta I made sure I was paying no more than $20-30 per sq ft. To build in Atlanta it will cost approx. $80-90 per sq ft. I figure once they start building again there is plenty of fat in the deal.

You mentioned is doing it yourself and I know investors who have gone down this road, good for you, sounds like it has worked out well.

I used a buyers agent, paid a set fee, around $4000, however I purchased at foreclosure price and some cases purchased HUD homes (directly from the Government) which were my best buys.... thanks Karina.

MTR

I used a buyers agent, paid a set fee, around $4000, however I purchased at foreclosure price and some cases purchased HUD homes (directly from the Government) which were my best buys.... thanks Karina.
MTR

I am not averse to doing the same. It's nice that you have had positive dealings with Karina. Was she able to help you get the houses renovated and tenanted? What sort of fees were involved? I had a realtor in Ca try to diddle me for a months rent to get a tenant in place.

I am not averse to doing the same. It's nice that you have had positive dealings with Karina. Was she able to help you get the houses renovated and tenanted? What sort of fees were involved? I had a realtor in Ca try to diddle me for a months rent to get a tenant in place.

Generally it has been good, have had some issues with property management, but overall its been very positive. I met up with Karina in Atlanta prior to her starting her own business, we spent days looking at properties.

This property below was a HUD home, I picked it up for $48,000, which was incredibly cheap even at that time about 18 months ago, reno about $15,000, BA fee $3500. Was rented at $1300 per month, but rents have slipped back a little to $1200 per month, over 22% gross

http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/s.../Belmont Ridge renovated/?albumview=slideshow

This one, $34,000 best buy

http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/selectamericanhomes/slideshow/Course Side/?albumview=slideshow

Generally it has been good, have had some issues with property management, but overall its been very positive. I met up with Karina in Atlanta prior to her starting her own business, we spent days looking at properties.

This property below was a HUD home, I picked it up for $48,000, which was incredibly cheap even at that time about 18 months ago, reno about $15,000, BA fee $3500. Was rented at $1300 per month, but rents have slipped back a little to $1200 per month, over 22% gross l]

You have done very well in riding the fluctuating AUD$.

There were some very earnest promoters of Las Vegas property on this forum. They seem to have disappeared of late. Did you have any dealings with them? What were your experiences like? Did they take a % cut or were they flat-fee people? Were they helpful after they got paid?

You have done very well in riding the fluctuating AUD$.

There were some very earnest promoters of Las Vegas property on this forum. They seem to have disappeared of late. Did you have any dealings with them? What were your experiences like? Did they take a % cut or were they flat-fee people? Were they helpful after they got paid?

I pretty much missed the boat with Las Vegas and not an area of interest for me.
However, I think this group charged a flat fee. I am sure there are a number of SS members that have purchased through Emma and if anyone is reading this should be able to provide feedback.

MTR

I just bought a place in Kansas City for 36k, renting for 550 per month, now looking at jumping in on a multi, or a fund, to try and get the golden 20% capital rate. Playing it by ear at the moment, I've got 100k to spend, just trying to nut out the best areas

Back