America's Cup Defeats NZ

... and not only did the Americans change the team constantly - they also made running changes to the boat which NZ couldn't do due to distance ... sorry ... but that's cheating in my books ... but again ... that's the American "win at all costs" attitude.

One of the greatest comeback wins in the history of sport. Congratulations to Team Oracle USA and our very own Jimmy Spithill!

I just love these machines - able to get over 30 knots of boat speed in just 10 knots of wind - now that's sailing! They make Wild Oats XI look as slow as a wet week!

:)

@ Lizzie

Notwithstanding their being found guilty in earlier (unrelated) races, Oracle didn't do anything that was not allowed by the rules. The NZers had just as much opportunity to make changes to their set up (both in terms of crew and the AC72 itself).

The AC has always been run on a "winner sets the rules / challengers must agree by them" basis.

Probably the one thing OTUSA had that ETNZ didn't have was a multi-billionaire backer. The result of which was ultimately what matters most in sailing -> a faster boat.

As an aside...

NZ being the small place it is where everyone knows someone who knows someone.... My boss actually sailed on the ETNZ support boat on the race they won right before OTUSA pulled the "we don't want to race" card (it was a little thank you to him for all the Toyota vehicles his business buys).

One of the greatest comeback wins in the history of sport.

Yesterday I said this on FB -

Go back in time a month and write a script of the America's Cup which says...

Oracle will be found guilty of cheating, be docked 2 race wins, and fined $250k and have key crew members banned....

NZ will dominate the first half of the regatta 6 races to 2...

Oracle will play their "can't sail card... " (tail between their legs)

NZ will win yet more races and get to within 1 race of the America's Cup....

the weather will be too windy, not windy enough and with wind in the wrong direction....

NZ will actually be in a position to win a race and win the Cup, except the race will be abandoned when NZ has a massive lead.... because the race went too long...

then....

With the score at 8 - 1 (NZ ahead), Oracle will win 7 races in a row to come back to level the score to now be 8 races all.... (and this is after the -2 penalty, Oracle have actually won 10 races)

If you had written that down 3 weeks ago, and said "this is how it will play out".

It would have been thrown back in your face with only one word said...

Bull****!

Back