Amount to take out for building insurance

How much of the selling price do people usually take out building insurance for? Is it the amount it will take you to rebuild the house?

Ignore the sale price.

There are a few calculators around to work out the very rough rebuild price.

You don't want to find yourself coming up short if you hit worst case scenario :)

We took out enough to knock down, clear site and rebuild.

+1 as well as demolition & site clearing etc also include Architects fees & building approval costs etc

A lot of the Insurance websites have calculators for approx re-building costs

Even have a look at some of the bigger Builders sites (Metricon, Rawson, Porter Davis, AV Jennings etc) that will indicate prices for their 'standard builds'
Not suggesting at all that you would want to re-build with the larger builders

yes looking at renewing insurance and i have tried the website calculators but they keep coming up with ridiculous amounts to rebuild. My ppro is a 5 x 2 roughly 220m2 on a flat block and its last valuation was $455k + but the insurance calculator is coming up with $550k to rebuild dont figure.

Any ideas

I don't know about WA but in Victoria to build a 220sqm house of average quality you only need ~$1,000 per sqm. $2,000 per sqm is for top quality stuff

I don't know about WA but in Victoria to build a 220sqm house of average quality you only need ~$1,000 per sqm. $2,000 per sqm is for top quality stuff

Cost to demolish plus
Costs to build including fees etc plus
Costs for rental accomodation/loss of rent for the period required to do the above plus
Buffer

Remember to add in the costs to demolish and dispose of the old house, plus the other expenses.

Yes but those things don't add up to $300,000. That's ridiculous
After being through the Brisbane flood this year and having three properties gutted i think 300k is very on the dollar you cant live in the back of a ute with three kids,a good question to ask your insurance company is what is the extra cost to rebuild in hardwood and not treated chem pine ..

After being through the Brisbane flood this year and having three properties gutted i think 300k is very on the dollar you cant live in the back of a ute with three kids,a good question to ask your insurance company is what is the extra cost to rebuild in hardwood and not treated chem pine ..

300k for 3 properties yes. not for 1.....

Check if your mortgage provider (if applicable) specifies an amount.....

unfortunately ours does - $825,000 for building. Over the top but wasn't told until after the mortgage doc's landed on our desk.

Back