And away it goes....

Prices will bring with it, more supply

Agree with what's happening with prices and strong buyer demand (well at least for the areas that I am looking at)

If the slowdown last year, scared some people away from selling, then you will see a lot more supply coming onto the market in response to these market conditions.

The market conditions are such, that I have decided to 'sell' one of my properties, in the start of a change of direction. This has only been brought about by strong prices being achieved in the area & market sentiment.

"You look at some sales and people are paying these prices with seemingly no logic behind the price they pay … they're buying properties just because they can afford to," said buyer's advocate Michael Ramsay.

nothing new there surely?

From my recent experience in Melb market where I am currently purchasing there just is no stock and this is pushing prices up. The prices have jumped in this area and now surrounding areas are also moving. I have made $50,000 in 4 weeks. I have mentioned before that I am competing with investors not FHB and RE agents feel the market is so strong that it will continue.

Not really sure what is going on, but I will continue to jump on this gravy train while it lasts.

Cheers, MTR

Interesting article in The Australian today:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/business/story/0,28124,25694289-25658,00.html

My comments FWIW are that 3 out of 4 investors may well be waiting for the FHBG/Boost to go away – but I’m seeing a number (must be the other 1 in 4?) of investors back in – and prices are increasing ever so slightly but on a consistent basis.

Rents will always be influenced by regional factors – it is still tight in SYD.I think rental vacancy rates will increase (probably back to 3 – 4% and possibly 5 - 6% in some areas as FHBs who have stayed in their first property, the obligatory 6 months to qualify for their grant, move back home to mummy & daddy’s place. But let’s face it 5% vacancy is what – 2.5 weeks in a year – big deal.

I think those 3 out of 4 investors that are waiting, will see 2 things when they come back in: higher buy prices that keep getting higher, and as the article says slightly higher vacancy rates. FHBs may well be supporting the market right now BUT it has always been my belief that investors will pick up baton when the FHO Boost goes way.

I think that most savvy investors would be trying to get in before the FHO Boost goes away. Well, the smart ones at least. The not-so-quick, or first time investors may notice a huge shock in how the market has moved from the 6 months before December 2009. :)

This is how i see it!
Our ,recession/depression, has been hanging around knecks for a couple of years now, from the D&G reports on tv to the reduction of official interest rates, as i said before, i had expected to be off learning to shear sheep by now! anny way thats how those reports on the world econemy came accross to me.
So we have seen a turnaround ,the markets and local buisinesses are stronger, and may have some way to go as yet, for a full recovery to feel the confidence, we had three years ago, so its realy like starting from a new base line, pretend we are on zero, now and we have another 14 years before the next cycle disaster, if your thinking this way then you would be well within a safty margin in the next crash cycle, not that i saw evidence of this one we just had,
The scary 3% fall four days ago tells me their is little control over falling share prices, its like a fox entering a hen house , as soon as one hen see's a fox the rest go balistic fearing for their lives,

Mostly the arguments/dissagreements beetween the two asset classes, shares V's property has been going on for a long time, but lately, bricks and morter seems to be a safer punt, this might change, but as we move onto a new financial year, now would be the time to change asset class if it were me!
the homes will settel in july so that would be the new financial year, hence some of the 22% gains some have predicted over the comming years, happy punting y'all;)

I think trying to time entry in the current market is quite difficult. It's the same for both IP and shares. Just recently I bought both (shares and property) and have seen both of them ride little waves...up and down...up and down..even in the space of a few months. Happy to report though, that the property one seems to have gone well, whereas the shares are pretty much neutral.

For me, the important thing here is knowing that people are at least contemplating moves. For the majority of 2008, what were most people doing? Sitting on their hands.

Lots of first time investors out there too from FHB to Mum & Dad investors to older people stung by the super and shares.

I agree - I am one of those first time (Mum and Dad) investors.
However, I don't really think too much about the timing.

As people often point out, property investment is (with a buy and hold strategy anyway) a longer term investment. With this in mind, the highs and lows and extraordinary events (FHOG etc) will tend to be smoothed out........wont they :eek:

Neil

Back