And They Call This Sport

Good to see the Ref reacted immediately and sent the guy off.

Some people like that stuff though.

The code seems to condone it to a degree.

Yes, I thought that was great that the ref sent him on his way.

Was told that this never happens in AFL, they never get sent off immediately if something like this happened, I think that is wrong.

Yes, I thought that was great that the ref sent him on his way.

Was told that this never happens in AFL, they never get sent off immediately if something like this happened, I think that is wrong.
I can't remember the last time an AFL player openly punched someone in the head and face two times like that.

Nowadays they scuffle a lot, grab the jumper, do a "jumper punch" etc, but in comparison it's a lot more tame.

In AFL, contact with the head whether deliberate or accidental is automatically a couple of weeks suspension and previous history of offences is factored onto that as well.

Just remembered - Last full-blown punch in the face I can remember was Barry Hall from Sydney Swans clocking Glen Staker from West Coast Eagles - in the face, and Glen had his jaw wired.

Bazza got 10 weeks from memory?

The guy was already knocked out and still being attacked - just sums up my thoughts about the sport.

Cheers

Jamie

Sounds like you are confusing the sport with the person, or to be more precise the actions of that person at that time; actions which of course aren't tolerated.

Sounds like you are confusing the sport with the person, or to be more precise the actions of that person at that time; actions which of course aren't tolerated.

Possibly.

I grew up playing and enjoying the game - but the antics (both on and off field) of some of the players have just turned me off it completely.

Cheers

Jamie

Was Brent Staker, not Glen FYI. But like you mentioned, he was knocked out and Barry didn't exactly follow him down and land a cowards shot after he was unconscious and couldn't defend himself.

I am part of a fighting sport, and even then the ref breaks it up as soon as anyone is unconscious. Don't think I have ever witnessed someone do anything similar to the above.

Absolute loser the rugby player. If you throw a punch, so be it, tempers boil over. But if someone is unconscious and cant defend themselves and you hit them again... well, you're a coward.

what do you think of boxing?

Many of the great fighters of the past have brain damage...the slurred speech is a giveaway. Ali got Parkinsons in his 40s....I think boxing must have contributed to his condition.

Tryson doesn't seem too bad execpt he's nearly broke. How can you lose over $300m in earnings?

I think all heavy contact sports carry the risk of brain damage unfortunately.

Sounds like you are confusing the sport with the person
Not sure about that.. The number of events occurring on/off the field involving the game and players seems pretty conclusive to me. Some that come to mind -
Fingers up the backside
On field urination
Off field urinating into the mouth (gags)
Squirrel grip tackle - mind you the offender becomes man of the match in the grand final this year and reaches cult status, for not being the best player on the field, but for playing the entire game with a broken face :confused:
Chicken wing tackles, spear tackles, brawls are usually the highlight of the origin games..

The part of the game which I find most ridiculous is after several episodes of head knocks to kids playing the sport, which have been fatal, parents/coaches still haven't made headgear mandatory.. Speaks volumes about players/parents involved in the sport.

I have a problem with it being called a sport.... sitting around with the kids who look up to these guys.... but then someone is being bashed senseless, what if... brain damage, what if spinal injuries. I just don't get why it has to be like this. No tolerance IMO.

I have a problem with it being called a sport.... sitting around with the kids who look up to these guys.... but then someone is being bashed senseless, what if... brain damage, what if spinal injuries. I just don't get why it has to be like this. No tolerance IMO.

There is no tolerance for it. He was Sent off, suspended for 6 months and you have never seen the likes of it before.

In the NRL, there wasn't a single punch thrown in the entire regular season.

The part of the game which I find most ridiculous is after several episodes of head knocks to kids playing the sport, which have been fatal, parents/coaches still haven't made headgear mandatory.. Speaks volumes about players/parents involved in the sport.

What does it say about the parents? Maybe they know a little more about basic concepts than you do.

''The only thing headgear protects you from is lacerations around the scalp and face,'' Muratore said. ''That is really the only thing. For the concussion, it does nothing because concussion is the brain moving inside the skull and there is no way you can stop that. I don't know how we can get the message through to people and educate them that headgear makes no difference, and in fact if you give it to kids it often gives them a false sense of security.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/headgear-wont-stop-concussion-20120903-25all.html

There is no tolerance for it. He was Sent off, suspended for 6 months and you have never seen the likes of it before.

In the NRL, there wasn't a single punch thrown in the entire regular season.

I can't say I watch too many games, but saw this in round 26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1oopvp2wWM

Despite that, it has been a pretty tame year for openly violent play/scuffles, but there's been a lot of dirty tricks and underhanded/sneaky stuff going on this year that probably didn't get the punishment it deserved.

Back