Another CGT Question

Hi there everyone. Just after some rough estimates if anyone is able to give me any.

I have a PPR which I have just subdivided. Now I have sold off the house (settled this week) portion and kept the remaining land (which is 290 sq metres of the original 670sq metres) and am about to start building the new place. I was wondering if anyone would roughly be able to tell me my CGT payable if I sold the new house (if any)? I want to sell immediately off the plan.

The initial buy price of the house was $310k

I sold the house alone for $295

The cost of the new dwelling is $150k.

If you require any other info please let me know.

Regards

from www.bantacs.com.au

"Purchased To Use As Your Home:
This section assumes that the property is 2 hectares or less, you have owned it for more than 12 months and
you have only used the property as your home up until the subdivision. If the property is larger and/or has
also produced income while you were living there, you need specific advice and should read the example for
farms.
The property would normally be exempt from tax because it is your main residence. But this is only if you
sell it as a home. So if you cut a block off and sell it there will be no main residence exemption at all because
you are not selling your home. Your exemption would remain with the block your home is on. Here is
another trap, if you demolish that home and sell vacant land you will completely lose the main residence
exemption for the whole time you owned the property. To qualify for the main residence exemption there
must be a dwelling on the property at time of sale, though this can be a caravan. If you sell vacant land after
demolishing your home you will be up for CGT on half (assuming held for more than 12 months) the
difference between the price you paid for it plus costs and improvements less the selling price. If you
purchased the property after 20th August 1991 you can also reduce the gain by the cost of rates, insurance,
repairs, maintenance and interest section 110-25.
If you are a builder or developer by trade and you start to cut up the family property you are more likely
than other professions to be considered applying the property to a business. Other professions subdividing
their own home into a small amount of lots would be very unlikely to be considered to applying the property
to a business rather than merely realising an asset. Though to play it safe don’t sell the blocks yourself,
organise this through a Real Estate Agent.
If you are subdividing your home block and you do not normally develop land or build houses you need to
limit your activities to the extent that you will not be considered in the business of developing the land. If you
simply apply to council for approval of the subdivision, and sell your home together with the land up to 2
hectares, to a developer you will not pay a cent in tax because of your main residence exemption. If you cut
the land up yourself, you are starting to get involved in development activities and you start to cross over to
business operations. You will be subject to tax on each block you sell other than the one with your home on
it, but the tax will be at least half if you can stay within the CGT provisions because you are merely realising
an asset rather than starting a business operation. More detail on this is in the section Are You Merely
Realising an Asset? You should be safe if you simply do nothing more than what the council requires under
the conditions of the subdivision (ie water, roads) and then engage a real estate agent to market the lots for
you."

Hi there everyone. Just after some rough estimates if anyone is able to give me any.

I have a PPR which I have just subdivided. Now I have sold off the house (settled this week) portion and kept the remaining land (which is 290 sq metres of the original 670sq metres) and am about to start building the new place. I was wondering if anyone would roughly be able to tell me my CGT payable if I sold the new house (if any)? I want to sell immediately off the plan.

The initial buy price of the house was $310k

I sold the house alone for $295

The cost of the new dwelling is $150k.

If you require any other info please let me know.

Regards

So where are you living now? Think carefully before you answer... a lot of these things come down to "intention".

If you are renting, you could argue that you are building your new PPOR on that 290m2 block. But you get sick of waiting and just decide to buy something established. Or your "dream home" comes on the market. Or whatever. If this is the case , there may be no CGT at all.

Otherwise you have to apportion the relative cost bases for each block. In your case, a house on 380m2 is worth about 295K, you could probably look around and see how much 290m2 vacant block is worth. Then work out your relative percentages.

If you can post the approximate value of the 290m2 block and your division costs that's pretty much enough to give a 'back of envelope' answer.

CGT Q's

Thanks a lot for that answer. I have actually decided to put the block up for sale as is with planning permit. What is the best way to work out a cost base for the land in order to work out CGT costs?

Assuming you'd not be up for GST on the sale of the 'new' block (which I can't guarantee because that issue can be a bit murky), your basic cost base is:

310 000 + buying costs (eg stamp duty) + division costs

Your sale proceeds are 295 000 - selling costs + land sale price - land selling costs.

All "roughly".

You have to apportion relative values to each component. Find some other blocks of a similar size that are for sale in your area, and post them up and I'll try and use them in an example.

OK...I'll take a punt and say a 380m2 block might be towards $200k. If you sold the house on 380m2 for $295k, we can probably attribute about $100k to the 'improvements' - the building, any sheds, etc. That probably wouldn't have changed much since you bought it initially, which would mean you 'paid' about $210k for the land initially.

If you wanted to base apportioned cost base on percentages of area, the 380m2 block is about 57% and the 290m2 block is about 43% of the initial 670m2 block. So that would make the initial 'value' of the 290m2 block about $90k + 1/2 the division costs + 43% of the buying costs (if they weren't included in your 310k figure.) Roughly. These aren't exact figures.

Hope that makes sense. At least, my understanding of it after doing some apportioning for a fair few more blocks than two...

cgt Q's

So it's roughly $90k + half the subdivision costs + 133k(43% of the initial buy price)? That's over $200k. Can't be right. Can it?

I initially just worked out my CGT like this.

Overall block is worth about $250k. The subdivided part is 41% of the overall block so cost base is $102500. Then I can add my subdivision costs.

I appreciate your help.

If you wanted to base apportioned cost base on percentages of area, the 380m2 block is about 57% and the 290m2 block is about 43% of the initial 670m2 block. So that would make the initial 'value' of the 290m2 block about $90k + 1/2 the division costs + 43% of the BUYING costs (if they weren't included in your 310k figure.) Roughly. These aren't exact figures.

BUYING costs - stamp duty and so forth -IF these weren't included in your initial 310K figure.

For cost base figures, you need to work out the 'value' of the original 670m2 block when you bought it, not now. Then the new block would be 41-43% of that figure (plus 1/2 division costs, etc). That's where I got the (roughly) 90K figure from.

290/670 is a bit over 43%.

Back