Ant Problem maybe termites? opinions appreciated

The last couple of days we have noticed a steady stream of ants coming in and out of the house via the rear stairs, they climb the poles and then disappear into the house. There is no sign of them inside the house at all.

Many of the ants are leaving the house carrying small white objects.

So I am concerned.

History

We bought the house around june/july in QLD and had a pest inspection done at the time with the fancy infra red scanner-me-jig. House was clean but there was a termites nest at the back of the block. 3 months later after a long settlement and finally moving in I dig the nest out of an old trunk to find black ants, no termites.

I do some reading and I find that black carpenter ants can attack termite nests, eat them all and then live in their new home and I wonder if that has happened in the nest at the back of the yard, either after the pest inspection or before (and the pest inspector dignosed incorrectly)

Am I seeing something similar here?

Have these ants found a termite nest inside the house and are cleaning it out for a fine meal?

I captured a couple of images of the ants on the pole and caught a couple in a plastic bag to try and get a close up.

Any suggestions, comments, experience welcome :)

PB120125.jpg

PB120128.jpg

I wouldn't be to worried about white ants ;)
White ants only travel in the dark and inside a mud tunnel,more than likely in the next couple of days you will be getting some nice rain in your area:D

Sorry just re read your whole post,is there some way white ants can get into your house??

The white ants in the back yard will move when they are disturbed,that's why they recommend you don't touch them until they poison.

Any wet weather recently/forecast?
Those ants love to set up nests in walls and roofs. I would say those white things are their eggs being transferred to new nest.

Any wet weather recently/forecast?
Those ants love to set up nests in walls and roofs. I would say those white things are their eggs being transferred to new nest.

They forcast rain coming into xmas but it looks like the white blobs they are carring are coming from the house and into the ground, so unless they think the house is going to blow away and the ground is safer? :)

Or cound the white blobs be some sort of transfer sack and they have dropped the eggs off already and they are going back for another load? sounds a bit silly but just throwin it out there

The white ants in the back yard will move when they are disturbed,that's why they recommend you don't touch them until they poison.
yeah I didnt touch them uptil I was ready to dig and poison but when we pulled the trunk down it was full of black ants.

Still poisoned the base though, its the only way to be sure (aliens reference) :)

Back