Anyone flown with Air Asia?

:eek: Can you please confirm that none of the arms fold up? My plan is to get a whole middle row. On other airlines I just lift up the arms and lie down.

We sat on the side, can't say I tested any of the middle rows, but don't recall seeing anyone lifting them...

We have flown Air Asia X from Coolangatta - KL - Phuket return with no dramas.

Paid a little extra for bulkhead seats - food is no better or worse than any other airline.

Appear to be a young aggressive style of company with big plans for the future - in my opinion will only get better over time.

Some comments from the reviews below include:
  • Wait till you get on board and up in the air. Then you'll know about no service. hahahahahahahaha
  • I associate no service with this airline by thinking back to when I flew them to the Gold Coast. They ran out of beer an hour out of Malaysia.
  • Definitely no guarantee that as a couple booked together-ie booking is for 2 people-that you will sit together.
  • Low Cost Carrier "Service" = Non Existent.
    You get what you pay for.
  • Their planes have always been newish, in good condition, with helpful FA's (never over a size 6), and I have always eaten well, drunk my fill, and got the seat I wanted without getting additional overweight baggage charges. It's called planning!
  • When I am doing a complicated flight grouping I will always book with a "full service airline". It is worth the extra money to get phone and email assistance for changes or when things go wrong.
  • the flight itself was fine, the meal good well mine was and the plane newish. my only grind was that i couldn't work out there dumb reclining seat. the seats don't actually recline but rather the fax leather you sit on slides up and down giving the appears you have reclined.
  • I am happy to put up with terrible service for the price you pay
  • Always look at the total fare on an LCC before you even think they are cheap, all those convenience fee's and seating fees add up ! (Yes you need to have some seating charge just to be assured you will sit next to who your traveling with!)
  • just got back today on Air Aisa X to OOL then onto SYD. Yes, the fare cost me $100 inc a meal and picking my own seat, but that's about the best of it. Have to say the total experience was one I hope not to repeat.
  • The seats were bloody uncomfortable. The way they "recline" is a joke, esp for someone 6'1" in height. I've never heard a plane filled with the creaking of seats as people try to get in a comfortable position thru the night, or had to get up so many times top stretch and ease the pain.
  • Luckily I had the seat next to me empty which was useful because the seats indeed are very narrow, and pretty close to the seat in front of you. I'm fairly short but my knees were touching the seat in front of me.
  • Generally the whole experience with Air Asia X and Air Asia were much better than what I had expected.
  • I actually found Air Asia X to be really good ... especially for the price! I got really cheap flights; my partner and I flew to Kuala Lumpur and back for about $450 (yes, for both of us!!). Yes, the seats are a bit thinner, but it's really not that big an issue.
  • SEATS: Narrow, hard and uncomfortable. At the end of 8hrs I was chewing my leg off. If you are big framed don't even consider this plane.
  • FOOD: AirAsiaX set the low bar for in-flight food. They served something that resembled calf-dung in a plastic dish plus some water. Even by budget airline standards it was crap.
  • Oh, and in-flight entertainment consisted of wiggling my toe through the hole in my sock (when I wasn't looking around for a chiropractor).
  • I have done Air Asia Melbourne to KL (return) and 6 or seven internal flights with them. Never had a problem. I would not recommend spending the extra on the XL seats unless you are really tall - they are not comfortable for sleeping. I would hesitate to fly long haul with them overnight - but give me a day flight and its cool.
  • It is not uncommon to be put on hold from anywhere from 25mins to 40mins, and I'm sure if i wouldn't have hung up i would still be on HOLD!!!!!!!!!
    Absolutely outrageous CUSTOMER SERVICE is the only way i can explain it!!!

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/com...cussion/air-asia-no-service-flyers-19433.html

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community/open-discussion/air-asia-x-review-20146.html

The trick is to upgrade - Air Asia (Premium) and it is same as business class, however you will need to purchase own food (its cheap, not worth mentioning). For an extra $100 each well worth it and still saving money.

Cheers, MTR

I have flown AA a bit and find them great
The planes are seemingly very new compared to MAS
I have a large frame and 6ft 2 height
I book excess luggage
I always book the exit seats near toilet, no seats in front and an empty between
I book the meals, they are fine and its only an 8 hour flight at most

On internal flights I have had exit seats over wing, they have enough legroom and the armrests fold up. Some additional info here Air Asia seats

Attachments

• AA.jpg
    AA.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 101
Great info; thanks. We booked with AA as friends we're going with are on those flights. I must say I am filled with trepidation but I'm thinking of it as an adventurous start to the holiday(!). Perhaps I'll just take some sleeping pills before I get on seeing it's a midnight special to boot...

^Love the name of the site, BB. But not impressed to see there's an article letting everyone know my usual "secret" method of the best way to fly economy. :cool:

Regarding Maintenance of aircraft

Hi Guys

All airlines whether its a low cost or full service carrier have to adhere to the same maintenance requirements prescribed by the manufacturer of the airplane (In this case Airbus).

An aircraft cannot fly unless it has gone through all the checks necessary, and certified by aircraft engineers licensed by the countries airworthiness authorities. Concurrently the Pilots that fly them have also to be satisfied that the aircraft is in an airworthy condition.

Roughly 70-80 % of engineers in Malaysia (Air Asia and MAS) have licenses issued by the Civil aviation authority, UK after passing exams and undergoing studies including interviews. It is not an easy feat getting a license from the United Kingdom.
The rest of the local engineers are licensed by the Malaysian authority which was originally set up by the CAA UK and follow the same frame work pertaining to licensing and operations.
Around 20% of licensed engineers in Malaysia are expatriates (Mainly Australians who have put in lots of time at Qantas)
Around 20-30% of licensed aircraft engineers in Australia are overseas trained migrant engineers (including Malaysia). Currently there is a severe shortage of aircraft engineers in Oz.

An earlier post mentioned Pitot tubes (These are devices fitted to an aircraft to measure airflow which in turn gives the speed at which an aircraft flies)
If there is any urgent matter that is a concern to the safety of an aircraft....The manufacturer releases an "Airworthiness directive" and a time frame for its completion. Inspections were carried out on the entire Airbus fleet as soon as the AD was issued and necessary rectification taken was taken based on inspection findings.

Due to the recent GFC,Airlines all over the world are facing major losses. The only model that has managed to survive and make money is the "Low cost model". Ryan Air, Jet Blue, Webjet, Jetstar to name a few. They save money on parking charges, facilities at airports, In flight catering, Inexpensive ticketing systems, stringent baggage allowance limits, Smart utilization of aircrafts etc etc

But Maintenance and Operations are not touched

The minimum seat pitch (distance between two seats) is prescribed by the airworthiness authority of the country in concurrence with the manufacturer. No airline can bend these rules.

Reclining of seats is also governed by these regulations. In addition it is important that a seat cannot exceed a maximum recline angle, because of oxygen mask deployment device which is located overhead. In case of an emergency when the masks do drop, passengers must be able to reach it even when the seat is reclined to the maximum angle.

Hope this sheds some light and please excuse the excessive technical jargon

Cheers

so these guys had there $240 return flights to london during the week, bit of a publicicty stunt imo.

Any way Jetstar the same day have $99 fares to Singapore, I managed to pick up 2 x return tickets to singapore for $370 all up with checked luggage, it was actually cheaper than $99 coming ack to melbourne due to taxes??

Took me 1 hour and twenty minutes to book the tickets online, and we have pretty fast internet at work as well

There were some great deals and I still think Tger & Air Asia have some cheap fares to KL

Any way Jetstar the same day have $99 fares to Singapore, I managed to pick up 2 x return tickets to singapore for $370 all up with checked luggage, it was actually cheaper than $99 coming ack to melbourne due to taxes??
I tried to book some Singapore flights also, gave up after around 1 hour. Got 2 for 1 deal to Japan via Jetstar a while ago so will have to settle for 1 o/s trip in the next 12 months :D

I went to KL with Air Asia last yr. Crap food, crap seats but cheap price. Agree you get what you pay for . Prefer Singapore airlines or Malaysian to Asia, but hey you cant fault the Air Asia price!!

Just got back from the London trip I mentioned near the start of this thread. I had no problem at all with Air Asia. Seats were fine (although I'm not especially tall or long-legged) and I didn't find anything much different to flying with Jetstar, which I've done a number of times now without problem as well. They did switch planes for one flight to one with a different seat layout, which resulted in seat reallocation, but we got pretty close to where we'd already booked on the original plane so I'm not complaining.

Can't say the food was great, and of course you have to pay extra for it the same as with Jetstar, but I'm not looking for gourmet cuisine on a cut-price flight. We only pre-ordered one meal per flight (Malaysian cuisine), so what we did was nosh up large somewhere shortly before boarding the flight and save the meal until near the end. Taking a few sandwiches or something would have done the job as well (despite them saying somewhere that you can't eat your own food on board, it didn't seem to stop anybody, and I never heard the staff say anything about it).

Right near the KL LCC terminal (where Air Asia go from) there's quite a big noshery that's open late (our flight to London was at 1am and it was still open a couple of hours before that). They even have the airport departure and arrival screens on display there. You can stuff yourself there (with McDonalds - or was it KFC? - if you don't like Malaysian food) and even buy sandwiches to go. It's much cheaper than buying food at the airport itself.

They also announce how strict they are now with only allowing one piece of cabin baggage per person to a maximum of 7kg. Well I saw a few people carrying on two or three pieces, and my one piece weighed about 10kg (my wife has a mini-scale for weighing luggage) and no one said a word or wanted to check it (of course I can't vouch that it will always be that way).

So I can't really fault Air Asia, especially not for the promo prices we got. Other much-more-expensive flights give you more bells and whistles, like free food, drinks, and entertainment, but give me the cheaper price and I'll organise my own. I can't wait for them to start flying from Sydney (we had to Jetstar to the Gold Coast to connect).

Regarding the 2-for-1 to Japan with Jetstar: my wife and I got that deal last year (or was it two years ago now?). Our combined returned airfares were about 30% cheaper than what I paid for my first trip to Japan years ago (just me then).

For the last few years I've only flown Jetstar and now Air Asia, except for a few trips to NZ to visit my parents where connections with Air NZ are much easier to organise (I have to fly Air NZ internally). So far no complaints.

GP

Back