Anyone into Dirtbikes?

Anyone have a dirtbike?

My other love besides property is dirtbikes, I have a 2006 Husqvarna TE 450 (I have a photo in my profile)

Once you buy a decent bike it is really cheap to go away and have fun, I often go each weekend or fortnight with 4 or 5 mates out east of Melbourne in the bush.

Always good to have hobby which acts as an outlet from your daily grind and pressures. I even found myself thinking about IR whilst flying up a steep hill!!

Well anyway just seeing if anybody here has a dirty and enjoys the thrills, or anybody looking for a new hobby, get into it.:)

We love dirt bike fun.

Just on the farm, through sand and natural terrain and a bit of utilising ramps, (not specifically put in for bikes but fun anyway).

Bikes are only pre loved (old as) things from auctions/sales around the area, or a little bartering, and just get them going. Hondas, Suzuki and Kawasaki...plus a 4 wheel, but that isn't fooled around with, just used for sheep stockwork.

Some of the dams that have been empty for years now make for great riding in, down, and out of, and up the banks.

The funniest thing is going from a motor bike to trying to ride a scooter.

Did the scooter thing around Magnetic Island, but had a hellish time with still trying to grip and balance it like a bike...absolutely hopeless..!? Totally a fish outta water.

Love them dirt bikes. Last bike was a 05 KTM 525 new bike is looking like its gunna be an 09 Husaberg 450FE.

If you havent already found it, look here
www.dirtbikeworld.net thousands of members organising rides everyweek all over the country, especially Melbourne.

Love them dirt bikes. Last bike was a 05 KTM 525 new bike is looking like its gunna be an 09 Husaberg 450FE.

If you havent already found it, look here
www.dirtbikeworld.net thousands of members organising rides everyweek all over the country, especially Melbourne.

Yeah my mate just brought an 03 KTM 525 EXC last month, been on a couple of rides with him. Great bike, it is so much lighter and smaller then my bike even though it has move power. Real torquey. I was thinking about getting a KTM for my next bike (maybe with my new LOC...hehe)

I prefer the European bikes, the Husaberg looks pretty modern. Where do you go riding?

Yes, aprt from this forum I spend hours on the dirtbikeworld.com site, really good for ride reports and information, much like this site.

I', planning a big 2 day ride next week, from Marysville to Woods Point, should be fun.

Yeah, I'm a dirt bike nut, always have been and always will be.

Santa Claus bought be a honda 50 j when I was about 8, and I've been hooked ever since. Haven't been a day since in my life when I haven't owned a dirtbike.

Current bike is a Yamaha WR 450 07. Picture Of me from February, crossing the swollen Rowleys River on a two day trip from Nundle to Gingers creek. We probably shouldn't have been out that weekend as it was too wet, and we drowned a heap of bikes, but you know how it is. Ya just gotta go, and mud is better than dust.

Gingerscreek08012jpga.jpg

My wife bought me a white plastics kit for it for my 40th, so that's why it's white and not blue. It's the 4th WR I've owned. I bought one of the original 97 400's, then a 01 426, then a 04 450, and now the 07. None of the WR's has ever given me a problem, so I'll keep buying them until they do. Only other bike I'd buy for trail work would be a KTM.

Before that I owned honda XR's and yam TT's, and before that, two stroke Yam IT's. My work/farm bike is a yamaha TTR 250.

Been from home to Darwin and across the gulf on a suzuki 650 via mainly dirt tracks, been to the tip of cape york with a heap of mates on XR 600's. Done a week long Victoria high country ride.

Currently I have a heap of mates who all ride, mostly Yam WR's, and KTM's, and we do a few organised guided weekend rides a few times a year. This year for example we did a watagans ride out of Corranbong, me going up a hill from that ride,......

girlsbikes.jpg

and also a Barrington Tops ride out of Dungog and rode to Bulladehlah and back. We also do our own rides probably once a month in our local areas. We have plenty of good riding here being at the foot of the Liverpool Range and just an hour from the coastal mountains and rainforests.

My three girls, aged from 5 to 8 ride. We all race once a month in the cooler half of the year at our local track. I race in the over 35's class. I'd get blown away if I raced against the young blokes.

Being girls, they're not quite as keen as the boys. I hope they keep at it, as I want to be able to take them away on weekend trail rides, like some of my mates take their older sons and daughters away already. All 3 are on little KTM's. The 5 year old is on a 50 adventure, and the older 2 are on 50 SX's.

girlsbikes006.jpg

girlsbikes002.jpg

My second eldest daughter, no 5, hoping to pass someone.

girlsbikes003.jpg

My eldest daughter

See ya's.

Last edited:
Yep. The ONE thing I miss about my ex is the bikes!! :)

Like mentioned below...Santa bought son a MR50 when he was 8...BUT he broke his arm (BMX) just 3 weeks before Christmas so "Santa" had to on-sell the MR and upgrade to an XR75 the next year :D

When my boy moved to Woolongong, I went to visit him and he took me for a drive past the hosp "So I would know where to come!!" (Luckily I haven't had to)

dad%20and%20mark.jpg

Son is #85 ex is next to him. They were riding at Woolongong MX club but don't go as much anymore.

Yeah, I'm a dirt bike nut, always have been and always will be.

Great photos, thats an insane river crossing, wish we had more like that near my joint.

Wow, yeah I was keen on getting a WR 450 before the husky but my mate brought one as well so we got a great deal. I owned a couple of XR's before this one. I live in Melbourne and often go riding about an hour or so out of Melbourne in the Black Ranges, every few weeks we do a high country ride.

I have been the last 4 weekends, bit tired and had to spend some $$$ this week doing my fork seals and front sproket, oil and a few switches.

I have done about 3500-4000ks this year.

I have a small video on youtube were I flipped my bike and crushed a $1000 exhaust!!

http://www.youtube.com/neilwooley

Attachments

• RIMG0151.jpg
    RIMG0151.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00032.jpg
    DSC00032.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 51
  • RIMG0292.jpg
    RIMG0292.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 65
....I prefer the European bikes, the Husaberg looks pretty modern. Where do you go riding?

If your on DBW then you'll know that the guys that run it are all based in melbourne so thats where the biggest follwing is.

I ride usually anywhere within 2 hrs drive of Sydney, Watagans, Dungog, Surgarloaf (or not so much anymore), Clarence, Sunny Corner, Rydal, Jenolan.

I bought one of the original 97 400's, then a 01 426

I had an 02 WR426 and nearly chucked it off a cliff several times. It's power curve was more like a supercross bike and had bucket loads of it.
The worst thing about it was trying to kick it over with that bloddy manual decomp lever and hot start. There was a real nack to starting them.
And it always stalled half way up rocky hill climb with bigs rock steps. LOL

If your on DBW then you'll know that the guys that run it are all based in melbourne so thats where the biggest follwing is.

Yes I know the guy that owns the Husaberg Dealership in Lilydale Vic. I have seen him ride the 510 or 530??, and man he flys.

A couple of youtubes I've done,....

A massive bog hole in the Watagans,....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC7UU3V-b-M&feature=channel

Just seconds later this bloke hit the same boghole and went over the bars,...

Russellsoffloading.jpg

M.jpg

One of my group trying to get up a rock shelf in the Watagans,....
It's steeper than it looks.!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE90Pweg_ds&feature=channel

A few laps with me on helmetcam, at our local track in the old fat blokes class [over 35's], and yep, I get smoked,.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeJa1Y1tUmU

My girls on their bikes just having a fun ride in my backyard, but 18 months ago, youngest one on the pee wee, aged 4,.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_bbivutmZQ&feature=channel

Finally, a classic video that you've probably seen but some others here haven't, of a US dirtbike hill climb,.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht3DMDx1spo&feature=related

See ya's.

Photo 1: Under the power lines near Buxton, VIC

Photo 2: Half way up a hill, Buxton VIC

Attachments

• RIMG0339.jpg
    RIMG0339.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 61
  • RIMG0301.jpg
    RIMG0301.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Great pics!

I'm an older guy who had never ridden a bike until this year, I know a bit sad.

So this year I went out and bought a big Harley Heritage Softtail, then got the licence and now planning trips away. I'm lucky coz my partner likes bikes and has just bought herself a Harley.

We recently rode in the Newcastle Toy run with an estimated 7,000 bikes. It was great to see so many spectators waving and applauding the bikers doing thier bit for charity.

Not a dirt bike story, but after watching the "Long Way Round" series, who knows......

Cheers

Swany

Back