anyone know anything about drum sets and makes

my son wants to learn and buy drums and he might or he might be like so many others who fork out the money and never really use them

he is looking at second hand

does anyone know about the makes below

or other hints to avoid mistakes and get something he will be happy with and if not can resell.

or what really is the difference between basic starter sets and more expensive brands

i beleive dxp, ashton and billy hyde are basic starter sets
and tama , pearl, dw are more expensive sturdier brands.

he is currently looking at one by ashton sold at allans and another by bylly hyde student series
how would we compare quality of makes knowing nothing about drums ourselves.

does anyone know about makes
ashton
mapex
slazerland
sx
tama
UB
billy hyde student series or billy hyde percussion plus
istanbul cymbals
dxp
headliner cymbals
tempo dixon
shalimar cymbals
gibraltor
sabian

thanks.

Francine

Last edited:
I'd definitely recommend a secondhand Pearl or Tama rather than a new ashton or similar.. The difference in quality is huge!! In terms of sound, durability and ease of play. A ashton would drive him nuts after a while.. Zildjian or paiste cymbals are the most popular and of course expensive. I believe Meinl (German i think) are just as good and cheaper.. I've tried sabian cymbals in the past and found them to be cr_p. Want2bewealthy should be able to confirm - I think he works in a music store?

How much is the ashton kit - $500-600? You shouldn't need to spend more than $700-800 to get a pretty good quality second hand kit.

Do you have a sound proof room? If not then cushion pads work fairly well. Made from wetsuit material.

I also would stick to Tama (my preference) Pearl, Yamaha, Mapex. Like all brands, they all make beginner level kits that are relatively cheap. You could buy something like a new Yamaha Gigmaker or a Tama Swingstar kit for under $1000. The difference in price between the more pricier set than a cheaper kit is the timber used, hardware, skins, symbals...have I missed anything??:D
The beauty of this is that he can upgrade the skins to Remos and buy better quality symbals to obtain a better sound etc...

However, the problem with buying a cheap kit at the start is that if your son progresses quickly, he will soon "outplay" his set and want a better quality kit. Trust me, it is so much better to learn a musical insrument if the instrument is of good quality.

VBPlease, I like my Sabian symbals!:)

Boods

I wouldn't let a little bit of noise and angry neighbours anywhere within 500m of your house get in the way of a good time!!:D

thanks so much that was very helpful

boods and vp i've sent you private messages i hope u can answer in time for the auctions

these are all second hand auctions that are in a few hours or tommorow and he isnt sure which way to go .

he has seen available
2 pearl drum sets one seems more basic around 450 starting bid and

one of which the seller says was worth 1700 new with a starting bid of 650 or so

there is a slingerland going cheap that i was told is a top make too comparable with tama , yamaha and pearl is that true?

a dxp or maybe 2 dxp sets even with different low starting bids

a couple of billy hyde sets one which has the cymbal upgraded to instanbul, plus the practice pads. if i was going for a basic make this one is the best value

a tama which has a low starting price but it was stored in the garage and has bits of rust and3 loose brackets from bass drum and they say it doesnt effect the sound quality.
should i be worried it is a good price and it is a tama

have you heard of UB mapex drum sets?
or tempo by dixon?

i also saw unused more or less ashton drums with the practice pads already unsure what i could get them for between 250 and 320 probably

thanks

Francine

Last edited:
there is a slingerland going soon which i've been told is comparable to pearl and tama . do you know about slingerland please?

you guys have said to get a good one otherwise they can soon outgrow a basic one

a friend who teaches drumming and is a professional drummer says to just get the cheapest and if he takes to it to upgrade later.at present there are second hand drum sets local to me from pearl, slingerland, vb mapex billy hyde or dxp to choose from.

so i'm unsure.

Francine

You could be buying 2nd hand garbage regardless of brand.
You'll get good value with brands like DXP but don't get the cheapest model.
Brands like Pearl & Tama are good, but their cheaper models are the same as
a DXP kit, and twice the price.
Your drummer friend is right, no point trying to get something expensive to start with.
And btw you generally won't find them cheaper when buying new on ebay.

better to try before you buy... so ebay may not be the best option for buying. we bought an electronic drum kit on ebay, but my husband inspected it first.
i agree.....better to buy something better quality, particularly the snare and the cymbals.
Pen

thanks for that much appreciated

piston broke we are looking at 2nd hand. so many buy drums and lose interest quickly or for other reasons, moving, space, sell good quality drums. if they are not as advertised there is some safety in some second hand buying methods.

Thanks again.

francine

Hi Francine,

I used to play myself and had a Pearl set. You can't go wrong with the better brand in regards to any musical instrument. When buying cheaper brands you will also find repairs difficult.

My son plays the Clarinet and my daughter plays the Flute. In both cases I bought good quality second hand. :)

I bought both from ebay but I admit, I knew the brand, asked the right questions and bought from a reputable seller. I guess you take a risk on ebay but I checked the feedback and it all seemed on the up and up.;)

Regards Jo

thanks for that. I've had alot of great experiences with ebay as you say asking the right questions, checking the seller, and paying by pay pal.

thanks for that. we have seen some nice pearl sets sold for good prices. but my son wants a red one also so he is still waiting and watching but yes i think he is no longer considering the more basic brands.

Francine.

thanks for that. we have seen some nice pearl sets sold for good prices. but my son wants a red one also so he is still waiting and watching but yes i think he is no longer considering the more basic brands.
You're kidding, now he's fussy about the colour too?

Take him into a few music shops for a play around with the real deal at least. You might also realise how LOUD drum kits are.

Hiya

I've played drums for over 25yrs now....started with a very crappy set back in the 70's and after 12 months my folks splurged and bought a new Pearl Export kit (black of course!)
They lasted over 15 yrs and I sold them to my little cousin and he still swears by them.
I now own a Pearl Jazz Fusion kit (ducks nuts) and had them for over 10yrs (electric blue colour). Colour is very importnant!!!

I have played on many different kits and believe Pearl and Brady are the best...my preference.

You can use bed sheets to cover skins when practising to muffle sound or rubber/foam pads if you want to spend money.

They are also cheap cymbals you can buy for the moment (stick gaffa tap underneath to muffle sound) and then on sell the whole kit once your son is committed.
I also have Roland TD8's (electric drums) for practice and recording and teach the kids....love the quiet of practicing with headphones.

If you need more info plz message me....glad to help.

roland v20

hi, ive got a roland v20 drum kit. it is electronic and can be played wth no noise at all! IF YOU WANT THEM I CAN SELL THEM TO YOU! please check them out online, they were $12000 originally, and you can have them for about $4500

A DXP kit with 9 ply Maple lacquered shells is >$600.
How much does the equivalent in Pearl, Tama or Mapex cost?
Their crappy Chinese plastic covered models are about double that.
The weak point are the stands, which don't cost much to upgrade.
When & if he's good enough, he'll decide on which brand he likes best.
It costs ~10-15% to sell on ebay, you can save that & freight (and know what your getting) by going to the store.
good luck

Back