Anyone live in Berwick/Narre Warren (Victoria)?

This is probably a long shot but is there anyone that lives in the Berwick/Narre Warren area that commute to work in the city either via Berwick or Narre Warren train stations?

I'm looking to move to the area and I am wondering how early do you have to get to the car park at either station before it gets full!

This is probably a long shot but is there anyone that lives in the Berwick/Narre Warren area that commute to work in the city either via Berwick or Narre Warren train stations?

I'm looking to move to the area and I am wondering how early do you have to get to the car park at either station before it gets full!

Get there just before 7am

I live over an hour away so I could get up at 5am and drive down myself to see for myself but thought I'd ask here first to save myself the trouble! :)

How long is it been since you lived there?

You could google map the two train stations to see which one is bigger.

Serious question;

Why on earth are you contemplating moving to either of those two places and then commute to the city and saddle up for over 2 hours of travelling each day??

Have you realised you will most likely go through both Cranbourne and Dande-thong stations on the way, and pick up countless ferals to make the trip more enjoyable!?

I reckon you'll stick it out for a year, tops.

Bayviews right, why an earth would you live in the sticks and the spend 3 hours of your day travelling? Time is one thing that cannot be purchased.
Have you considered a smaller home closer to your place of work?
A mate of mine lives in a 2 br flat in the guts of williamstown with a young child so he can minimize push bike commute time and live in a great part of Melbourne rather than a big McMansion thing up the road in werribee

I already travel by train to work 2 hours a day (1 hr each way). I LOVE my commute as it gives me time to browse on my ipad, reading somersoft posts! I'm home at 5:30pm each night.

I'm not the least bit concerned about going through Dandenong (will not be travelling on the Cranbourne line) as I won't be stopping there and I travel during peak hours (busy, always people around and we now have PSOs) and I'm yet to encounter anything unsavoury/dangerous on the train lines in 10+ years of PT. It is outside of peak hours that s**t happens. Stop knocking PT until you have tried it, it is not all that bad.

BTW I lived in inner city Richmond for 5 years before moving to Mooroolbark 3 years ago.

My reasons for moving to Berwick is so I can be closer to family. I'm single and there is nothing more important to me than family. I have 5 amazing nieces who are growing up and I'm missing out on seeing and talking to them, watching their sport activities, school concerts, etc because I'm too far away.

I reckon you'll stick it out for a year, tops.

You wanna bet? Because you will LOSE :)

I already travel by train to work 2 hours a day (1 hr each way). I LOVE my commute as it gives me time to browse on my ipad, reading somersoft posts! I'm home at 5:30pm each night.

I'm not the least bit concerned about going through Dandenong (will not be travelling on the Cranbourne line) as I won't be stopping there and I travel during peak hours (busy, always people around and we now have PSOs) and I'm yet to encounter anything unsavoury/dangerous on the train lines in 10+ years of PT. It is outside of peak hours that s**t happens. Stop knocking PT until you have tried it, it is not all that bad. I've traveled PT on and off for much of my 52 years.

BTW I lived in inner city Richmond for 5 years before moving to Mooroolbark 3 years ago.

My reasons for moving to Berwick is so I can be closer to family. I'm single and there is nothing more important to me than family. I have 5 amazing nieces who are growing up and I'm missing out on seeing and talking to them, watching their sport activities, school concerts, etc because I'm too far away.

You wanna bet? Because you will LOSE :)
I am happy to be proven wrong!

Didn't know you were already doing the long commute...well done!

Last edited:
It doesn't feel like a long commute to me, as I'm happily reading and I come to work feeling refreshed instead of stressed like those who drive to work and complain about the traffic.

I get tired of people criticising PT because they read what is in the papers and believe it is terrible when it isn't. They are usually people who don't take PT so apologies.

I found a work colleague who lives in Berwick and she told me she gets to the station at 7:20am and has always found a parking space. So even better as I get to the station in M'bark at 6:45am.

I spend every weekend in Berwick so it makes sense for me to move there so it is not a decision I have made lightly. I have done my homework.

Cheers
Sue

Sorry, there is not a chance I'll live in Belgrave. It's in the hills where it is a bushfire risk, full of tree huggers and McDonalds protestors! Also, the train line from FTG to Belgrave is a single line.

I'd rather be in Berwick where I am just a 2-5 mins drive from my sister (Berwick) or my brother (Narre Warren South) than be 30 mins away in Belgrave. I have friends who live down there as well - I don't know anyone who lives Belgrave.

I currently live 60 mins away from Berwick so to move 20-30 mins closer is a half-assed solution!

Thank you for your suggestion anyway.

I love my job in the city. I'm getting the best of both worlds - working in the greatest city in the world and living in the suburbs with parks, shopping centres, wide streets, plenty of parking, etc.

I prefer to work in the city because I get paid more and there are better job opportunities in my field in the city :)

I get tired of people criticising PT because they read what is in the papers and believe it is terrible when it isn't. They are usually people who don't take PT so apologies.

Cheers
Sue
Quite true; the "incidents" are usually post footy matches, cricket and so forth...drunks mostly, but the odd idiot who is simply an oxygen thief.

My last "incident" was after going into the City for my son's bi-monthly dentist extravaganza. He and I like to make a day of it and do a father/son bonding day...movie, or something that is on specially such as a concert or whatever. It's 20 mins in the car to Frangers station, and then the hour train trip (never seem to get an express :rolleyes:).

This was a Saturday, and ended up with the Transit cops hauling away two dudes with pushbikes in our carriage who were being simply good fun to have around :rolleyes::eek:, just near the Kananook station (think Frankston ferals)....need I say more.

The other issue I have observed over my lifetime is the proliferation of the P.I.T.A types who are disrespectful to others around them in various ways; loud, smart@rses, creepy, stink, the rubbish and graffiti, swearing...just yer standard low-level human.

And so on.

It's a toss-up between that and a drive commute, I reckon.

I think the drive is better form the no-human aspect, but you have a lot more trouble reading stuff on the Ipad. ;)

Last edited:
Quite true; the "incidents" are usually post footy matches, cricket and so forth.

So true. I've never encountered any bad behaviour in all my years of PT, the worst I is a bunch of school kids talking really loudly. I only travel during peak hours, which is safer in my opinion, I'm always surrounded by business types in suits. I've never travelled PT on weekends, simply because I can drive instead.

I think the drive is better form the no-human aspect, but you have a lot more trouble reading stuff on the Ipad

Lol! One day they will create 'driver-less' cars where you can just set and forget while you enjoy the commute reading on the ipad! Also, I find it less stressful taking PT than trying to get through peak-hour traffic. I arrive at work refreshed and calm.

But there are some humans on PT who like to have a friendly chat so it is not all bad. ;)

Back