Anyone watching the news out of USA?

i noticed the dow dropped below 11,000, SP500 under 1200.

futures look bleak - the CBOE Dow Volatility was UP 22% last night alone - now over 30pts.

AIG - American International Group - lost $20bil last night, only Merryl Lynch held in price at $17.

Well apart from Babcock and Brown copping an absolute caning today (glad I don't hold those as they were down 75% this morning), the S&P/ASX 200 has only done pretty much as expected today, only down 2.54%. :)

i noticed the dow dropped below 11,000, SP500 under 1200.

futures look bleak - the CBOE Dow Volatility was UP 22% last night alone - now over 30pts.

AIG - American International Group - lost $20bil last night, only Merryl Lynch held in price at $17.

Nearly time to go shopping for shares?

you reckon?

i'd be steering well clear of the US market unless the puts you are buying to cover your downside are EXTREMELY cheap (under 5% - AFTER buying 50% more than needed) - in otherwords, not bl00dy likely.

Or to put it another way!

Time for the share market to go back to doing what it does best.
Separating customers from their money.

Don't forget the Alt A loans are still to come and will cause even bigger carnage.

US futures are currently down 1.5%....... that's a 'not yet' from me.

You're talking to a total numbskull here when it comes to shares.

Straight Aussie shares for me for the time being.

I'm thinking ANZ or maybe CBA, based on comments here and following the wreckage.

As was mentioned; Banks may still have a way to fall yet, but I'm confident of those two in the longer term.

Maybe wait another month or so?

Just checked the top 20 compnies by $ rises today. They included gold producers, platinum producers, gaming ,newscorp, prime tv, cabcharge and condom manufacturers.

The public has to keep itself entertained even if the economy goes down the proverbial.

Company Shareprice

AMPCD AMP FPO 6.770
GOLD GOLD BULL RED.PREF. 96.170
COH COCHLEAR FPO 57.770
FLX FELIX RES FPO 19.740
ZIM ZIMPLATS FPO 10CUS 11.500
NCM NEWCREST FPO 21.430
NWSLV NEWSCORP A NONVOTE 16.830
ANN ANSELL FPO 12.310
CAB CABCHARGE FPO 6.990
NWS NEWSCORP B VOTING 17.100
KCN KINGSGATE FPO 4.400
RMD RESMED CDI 10:1 5.840
ALL ARISTOCRAT FPO 7.110
CCD CALEDON CDI 1.500
CDD CARDNO FPO 4.900
PRT PRIME TV FPO 2.400
TAL TWR AUST FPO 2.920
MAKO MINEMAKERS OPT DEC08 0.695
SGX SINO GOLD FPO 3.490

You're talking to a total numbskull here when it comes to shares.
Hi Marc,

US futures, is usually a lead indicator for what the US market will do tomorrow.....which in turn is usually a lead indicator (especially for global stuff) for the ASX. So the US futures probably means the ASX will fall further tomorrow.

Straight Aussie shares for me for the time being.
Same for me :).

I'm thinking ANZ or maybe CBA, based on comments here and following the wreckage.

As was mentioned; Banks may still have a way to fall yet, but I'm confident of those two in the longer term.

Maybe wait another month or so?
Sentiment towards banks is v. poor ATM. Most feel that ANZ & NAB are the higher risk of the big 4 while WBC & CBA have significantly less exposure to bad sub-prime decisions. ANZ & NAB are expected to be yielding 12%+ (after franking) next yr..... maybe good value .... maybe better value next month.

I'm in the wait & see camp.

Cheers Keith

Edit: US Futures only down 1% now.

Macquarie as expected is down strongly. Very tempting at current price but given I already have exposure to it I will also sit on the sidelines to see how things pan out for the Big Silver Donut.

September and October are supposed to be the most volatile months - October especially for Australia. So it will be interesting to see what happens during this period.

The market certainly is in no mood for lack lustre results eg Alesco copped a flogging today.

Cheers - Gordon

Prior to 2007, the last 4years of the market as been characterised by a consistantly rising market with little volatility. People, both professional funds managers and retail investors, where pretty much making money regardless of which stocks they invested in.

This has pretty much resulted in an over self condifence bias, whereby participants think they are better stock pickers than they actually are.

I think the next several years will be much more challenging. Just as with the property market, the share market is a list of individual shares, not just a market as a whole. The ability to correctly identify decent stocks and then price them correctly will become much more important in the next few years.

Alesco is an interesting stock in point. Prior to its recent profit downgrade, it looked 'cheap' on a PE of around 9.5 and a net dividend of 9.7%.

However if you rumage through previous years annual reports you will have noticed several warning signs.
Firstly it was using its higher PE ratio (prior to 2007) to fund acquisitions through a mixture of share script and debt (similar to ABC learning, but not as extreem). This resulted in net debt and shares outstanding increasing over the past 7 years by around 300%. A low interest rate environment increased return on equity even with a pretty poor return on capital of only around 10%

Secondly for the past 7 years the combination of capital expenditure per share + dividends has been higher than cashflow per share. Ok when the economy is going strong, but dangerous if we go into difficult times.

Thirdly whilst its a well run company, with a good integration of companies track record, the underlying businesses are mostly cyclical and have very limited barriers to entry. The company now facies a higher interest rate environment with tighter credit standards, a slowing national economy, and an environment with rising cost inputs coupled with limited ability to increase prices due to low economic moats around their subsidiaries.

Thus just because its PE was low and Yld high, didnt make it a screaming buy.

September and October are supposed to be the most volatile months - October especially for Australia. So it will be interesting to see what happens during this period.

The market certainly is in no mood for lack lustre results eg Alesco copped a flogging today.

Cheers - Gordon

sell in may, go away.

traditionally mid October is a good time to be buying for the hold thru the new year.

Fun on the FTSE right now, if Yahoo is right - down nearly 4.5%. The big banks taking a hammering, with HBOS down about 35%, and RBS down about 25%.

GP

Back