Appliances: cooktop choice, dishwasher?

After lots of looking I have my house in Ballarat, subject to building inspection. The planners say it was given consent in 1975, built-in oven and cooktop look like 1935! The cabinetry and tops look as if they were custom made, IMO classy not dated. No gas laid on so everything is electric.

1. The cooktop is extra wide (didn't have a tape) so a cheapy 600mm wide replacement is not an option. but I'm hoping that a 900mm wide ceramic or induction top would fit in its place in an enlarged hole - I didn't take a tape; next time I will! From reading past posts, ceramic tops are cheaper ($750-1250 for a 900mm one), don't work particularly well and are a pain to clean; an induction hob would be $1750+ but they apparently are brilliant well with the right cookware and are easy to keep clean. Which option would people go for? The other option, gas, fed from an LPG bottle outside, is not an option because the rangehood is very low and altering the cabinetry to raise it would not be economic.

2. There is a space next to the sink with open shelves where a dishwasher could go. I assume that nearly everyone (especially a 4+2 house) would want one, so am reckoning on taking these out and putting in the supply tap and waste connection. What about supplying a dishwasher? Do tenants for this sort of property expect to see one installed or do they provide their own?

Opinions welcome TYIA

We just went with a Miele induction cooktop. I've had enough of cheep chit. The ceramic we replaced was over 10 years old and still ok and pretty clean. We really only replaced it because we were shopping for an oven and though we'd like a new cooktop too.

I reckon the hole for the dish washer is a good place for the onions and pedal bin, but we wash up after every meal. Always have. :)

If there is a hole for a dishwasher and no dishwasher I keep on looking.

Just laziness and tightness from the LL so I can see a year of pain if I rent it.

For my properties if there is a hole it gets filled. If there is none it's fine to leave as is.

Special mention to E & S Trading, Geelong. Great showroom, sales guy really knew his stuff and they gave me a price which was several hundred dollars less than GG. And their delivery firm will take away the old appliances, one less thing to sort.

Thanks for the comments. Contracts exchanged today, and I've budgeted for quality induction cooktop, oven and dishwasher.
Will your tenants pay you more/week for this extra outlay?
I have cheaper oven, dishwasher cook-tops in my IP's and still working fine after 9 years now, but one that has 3 year old european appliances has caused nothing but problems

Will your tenants pay you more/week for this extra outlay?
I have cheaper oven, dishwasher cook-tops in my IP's and still working fine after 9 years now, but one that has 3 year old european appliances has caused nothing but problems

I've spent $5K on top, oven and d/w, and could probably have got away with $3K (need to work around existing cabinetry, also no gas). You're right that more expensive does not necessarily equate to better or more reliable, but I hope it does - at least branded appliances are usually fixable.

I'm also reckoning on improving the lettability - without wishing to sound sexist, it's always claimed that with couples (this is a 4+2 house so probably a family), women do the deciding and kitchens and bathrooms are key deciders. I'm hoping that the first suitable tenants walk in, see the kitchen and it's let, rather than it taking several weeks. The agent's property manager looked at it before I signed and reckoned it would rent for $300 with no problem, $320 perhaps. I'm hoping to see the $320, no perhaps.

Back