are these split aircons reasonable good?

Hi, I think this is the best time to get an aircon for the summer season, so I've just started with my research. here are the requirements:

- Aircon only meant to cool one room
- I read somewhere that the kw was obtained by using the following formula:

No. of sqm * 80 watts per sqm

in my case, it's: 12sqm * 80 = 1,000 watts

- I cannot find any split aircon that is only 1k watts, is this correct?
- I only want cooling-only split aircon. I guess they should be cheaper than heating and cooling ones, right?

- the lowest I get is 2k inverter. Daikin's FTKS20L costs about $875
- Panasonic model CS/CU-S9LKR, I can't find the price
- Mitsubishi electric MSY-GC25VA is from 2.5k.

any ideas?

You may find that 80w/m2 is a bit on the low side when working out kw required. When I was looking I am sure they used closer to 120w/m2 and when my mate sized my ducted unit I think he used 140w/m2. Could be wrong but either way in good brands a 2kw seems to be the smallest available.

Hi, I think this is the best time to get an aircon for the summer season, so I've just started with my research. here are the requirements:

- Aircon only meant to cool one room
- I read somewhere that the kw was obtained by using the following formula:

No. of sqm * 80 watts per sqm

in my case, it's: 12sqm * 80 = 1,000 watts

- I cannot find any split aircon that is only 1k watts, is this correct?
- I only want cooling-only split aircon. I guess they should be cheaper than heating and cooling ones, right?

- the lowest I get is 2k inverter. Daikin's FTKS20L costs about $875
- Panasonic model CS/CU-S9LKR, I can't find the price
- Mitsubishi electric MSY-GC25VA is from 2.5k.

any ideas?

use 120
80 is for bedrooms (but even then I would use 120)

Bigger is better

If there is a lot of glass use 150watts.

if there is machinery running in the room add the input (eg. computer with 300 watt power supply add it to the room load)

inverter will only use what is required.

Best brands i recall are

1)Daikin
2)Panasonic
3)Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
4)Fitjitsu

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/aircon_faq

Don't forget the Mitsubishi electric to the list.

That write up on AC in the FAQ is very much spot on.

I agree with other posters, use about 130 to 160 watts sq mtr depending on aspect,insulation, glass and internal heat load even in a bedroom.

12 sq mtr room fit the 2 to 2.5 kw inverter units.

All the good quality ones can adjust the output up and down from the standard rated output of 2.5 kw.

Eg, Panasonic cse9 nkr rated is 2.6 kw but performance range is 0.9 kw upto 3 kw in cooling mode.

Eg, Fujitsu astg09 rated is 2.5 kw but performance range is 0.5 kw upto 3.3 kw in cooling mode.

Either of these units or others would suit your bedroom nicely.

The Fujitsu ATM has $200 cash back so this makes excellent buying now on this premium brand.

Just make sure your installer is a qualified refrigeration mech for piece of mind.

This is was the inverter function is. Varies the power to suit. Save power but also runs quieter. If you only need 1kw, a 2kw unit will run at that. But when you have a 45 degree day, you have a AC unit which can handle it.

Just make sure you get one with a fan only function as well. Great for when it is not so hot and need just a fan clear a stuffy room. Tenants also like them to save power.

Cheers

I have put a few split systems in my Ips over the time,
Best to go a little extra and put reverse cycle /heat as well,
You can save by not using inverter systems and put the normal air cons in because seriously your not paying the power bill and tenants don't seem to notice the inverter A/C,only the cool/heat to their advantage.

I have put a few split systems in my Ips over the time,
Best to go a little extra and put reverse cycle /heat as well,
You can save by not using inverter systems and put the normal air cons in because seriously your not paying the power bill and tenants don't seem to notice the inverter A/C,only the cool/heat to their advantage.

You could put fixed speed compressor tech in if you wanted but why bother now when inverters are basically the same cost.

All the big manufacturers only put out inverter systems now as they basically have fallen to same pricing as the old fixed speed stuff.
Another tip is to go with big name brand stuff as they are usually more reliable and the big thing is you are usually safe guarded into the future with parts availability for repairs.

We have a "grave yard at work" where we store old removed units in case we need a part that's not available . Out of the 80 or so units in the grave yard that ave been removed due to either a major failure, no warranty coverage or lack of spare parts available probally 5 are name brands and the rest are generic imports.This says it all. Stick to quality units.
People invest lots of money into AC with units and installation to try and save few hundred bucks on cheap stuff. This also goes with installation, there are people out there who install these units with only a few weeks training. They get their restricted split install license then go and do some dodgy work or undercut people by a $100 or $200 bucks to win the job
They are not aloud by law to service and repair the units but install these with no real long term experience. We have seen countless bad works over the years. Bad installs cause machine failures,warranty issues, performance problems, as well as giving our industry a bad reputation.

One of the biggest stuff ups our regulatory bodies did was bring in the restricted installs license without doing a proper trade training.
No one in their right mind would use someone with a restricted license to install their big buck units then can't legally get them back for future repairs or service work. When you can get a full license holder to cover both.
Make sure the installer holds the full RAC license.

There are very few manufacturers around that could be bothered now getting there fixed speed units to be compliant enough to meet current MEPS requirements to import the units in so just bring in the inverter units.

One manufacturer comes to mind, Midea bring in both fixed speed and inverter units but the fixed speed ones are only now about $50 to $150 less than their inverter models so why bother ?
Some manufacturers like Fujitsu also put out cooling only inverter units. But these are only good for the Northern territory or far north QLD. These cooling only models don't have a reversing valve in them compared to reverse cycle units so usually are only $80 to $150 cheaper. Most stockists south of these areas don't even carry them. So reverse cycle inveter is the best way to go now.
Rewind back 8 years ago when inverter units were nearly double the pricing of fixed speed units then you would go down this path.

Units are basically cheap as now and reverse inverter systems are great buying now. Supply and demand did this.
Similar to what plasma tv or solar system costs were 6 to 10 years ago.

The consumers are the winners here.

Last edited:
I'd love to hear what you think of this Coldspace?

We have had a few split systems installed with the motor part dropped straight below the room it is installed in. These are in Queenslanders where there is just a cement pad under the house (head height or close to). The only other thing under the house might be car parking and a laundry tucked into a corner and a second toilet.

We've had other units placed at the side of the house usually facing outwards, but one unit we have under a 1950s style house with probably a six foot crawl space has been installed with the unit blowing air under the house. I cannot recall why it was done this way, but it was for a reason which was explained by the experienced installer (I just cannot remember what that reason was).

I don't think it was anything to do with neighbours or noise, but I just cannot recall.

The tenants continue to ask if we can face it towards the neighbour rather than have it "under the floorboards". We've told them "no" and told them the reason that the installer gave us. But they just keep on asking every change of season.

I'm curious about this. I cannot imagine they could possibly feel the room above where this discharges (large open living area) being hot or cold due to the air coming out of the unit. I know hot air or cold air comes out, but in the large expanse of the underneath of a queenslander with battens and nothing else, I would think this cold or hot air would disperse fairly quickly.

If it was only a couple of feet under the boards, I could understand that maybe they might notice a temperature change at that area. What do you think? I think they just like something to whine about.

I'd love to hear what you think of this Coldspace?

We have had a few split systems installed with the motor part dropped straight below the room it is installed in. These are in Queenslanders where there is just a cement pad under the house (head height or close to). The only other thing under the house might be car parking and a laundry tucked into a corner and a second toilet.

We've had other units placed at the side of the house usually facing outwards, but one unit we have under a 1950s style house with probably a six foot crawl space has been installed with the unit blowing air under the house. I cannot recall why it was done this way, but it was for a reason which was explained by the experienced installer (I just cannot remember what that reason was).

I don't think it was anything to do with neighbours or noise, but I just cannot recall.

The tenants continue to ask if we can face it towards the neighbour rather than have it "under the floorboards". We've told them "no" and told them the reason that the installer gave us. But they just keep on asking every change of season.

I'm curious about this. I cannot imagine they could possibly feel the room above where this discharges (large open living area) being hot or cold due to the air coming out of the unit. I know hot air or cold air comes out, but in the large expanse of the underneath of a queenslander with battens and nothing else, I would think this cold or hot air would disperse fairly quickly.

If it was only a couple of feet under the boards, I could understand that maybe they might notice a temperature change at that area. What do you think? I think they just like something to whine about.

Hi Wylie,

It's probally due to them hearing the machine under the floor I would suspect. They may notice some temp, but I highly doubt it from what you describe and would say its more noise related to them.
What brand is it ?
It's probally under one of the bedrooms I suspect.

Under wooden floors you get less noise complaints if the unit is placed under living or kitchen area as these are noise induced environments. But under bedrooms tend to cause complaints.
Lots of issues with the noiser older type units but quiet modern inverters installed properly under Qlders with adequate ventilation should be ok 90% of the time.

There are lots of variables we look for when installing units so not to have call backs.

It sounds like the air volume and design of the underneath would disperse enough temperature to not cause any issues on what you describe if underneath is open on some sides. Even underneath with slats can cause over heating issues of units if the area is not volume big with air flow or multiple units are under there.
Remember an 8 kw cooling unit is probally radiating out 10+ kw of heat out underneath when taking into account the heat from the compressor,fan motor and compressed refrigerant gas. This can build up quickly on a summers day.
It's similar heat output to 4 large electric heaters, 4 ovens or small to medium wood combustion stove.
Even couple of bedroom units can put out a substantial amount of heat in summer. Adequate ventilation is key.
Wooden floors of QLDers can transmit sound very easy. And can transmit heat if there are small gaps in some of the really old ones we have seen.

But The tenant asking every change of season tells me it's noise rather than temp. As when they use it in winter the outdoor unit refrigerates and expels cold air which would not cause as many issues. Units tend to be louder in heating mode as well, depending on the brand.
I would suspect the installer orientated the machine this way as when running the refrigerant pipes they probally came down on the side of the gas connections of the outdoor unit. So to swing the unit and point it outwards to the outside air would have made the pipe work a little longer. Outwards is best if possible. Or they thought that blowing the hot air back in would be better as there would be less obstructions to the movement of air ? Hard to say.
Other than that is hard to judge without looking at it or seeing photos etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. The unit is under a large lounge/dining open area, and they are saying the fact the unit disperses the hot or cold air is making the room above hotter or colder (depending on season). They have never mentioned the noise of the unit. The unit is a modern inverter, good brand, installed by the same chap who has installed several for our family.

When they first asked, we called him and he explained why it was installed that way, but I just cannot remember what that reason was.

To be honest, these tenants seem to want to have a "win" and I think this is just one thing they can complain about. We upped the rent a few months ago hoping they would leave, but they stayed.

It is one item on a longish list they run past us regularly. All of the items on the list are things they "want" and most of them we simply refuse. We have agreed to several things that suit us and will help with future rentability of the house (security grills, new curtains) but they will, for example, call my brother and say they would like the grass mowed this week, and it would suit them at 2pm Thursday :eek:. We do have a chuckle over some of their desires. My brother does try to fit in with them to a degree as they run a business from home and mowing is noisy, but if 2pm on a particular day doesn't suit him, he makes them wait until the next week, or when it does suit him.

Yep, good luck with them. Sounds like they will never be happy with anything.

I highly doubt that they would noticed any temp change from what you described. I have only come across a couple and it's more to do with the unit getting too hot and going into overload protection or a complete lack of cooling performance inside due to excessive heat in outdoor unit.

Most are noise related.

Thanks everyone.. from what I gathered, it'll be around $1,000 for the unit. I guess the installer will charge me around the same? so 2k in total?[/

I would say depending on type of install between $1600 and $1800 for standard back to back install including using a Fujitsu then you will get $200 cash back if done before end of July.

2k would be if the install had along pipe run through a roof or extra electrical works.

This is the rates in Brisbane so may be different in other states.

Back