Are you average?

From Aunty

Average household now worth $665,000: study

A major study into Australian households has found wealth surged by more than a third from 2002 to 2006.

The Melbourne Institute's Living in Australia study shows households' average net wealth climbed from $494,000 to $665,00 during the period.

The increase was driven by a sharp rise in the value of houses and superannuation.

Senior research fellow at the Institute Dr Roger Wilkins says the survey shows the rise in wealth over that time was equally shared.

"Wealth is - it should be stated at the outset - very unequally distributed; much more unequally distributed than income," he said.

"But having said that, there was no increase in inequality of wealth between 2002 and 2006, so the gains that we saw over that period were very widely distributed."

There are lots of other stuff for those looking at factors influencing the property market in this report like:

"The latest statistical report covers a huge breadth of data from six waves of the HILDA Survey and contains articles on key aspects of life in Australia, including:

• Households and family life — including changes in marital status and child care issues. In all six years of the HILDA Survey, women reported substantially higher levels of parenting stress than men, and lone mothers had higher stress levels than partnered mothers. In 2006, 45 per cent of households with children aged under 15 used work-related child care, and the most common problem was finding care for a sick child, as reported by almost 40% of lone-parent households.

• Incomes and economic well-being. This includes measures of relative poverty, welfare reliance and financial stress, household consumption expenditure, and income mobility — being the extent to which households moved up or down the national income distribution scale.

• Labour market outcomes — which includes wage changes, job mobility, hours worked, jobless households and job satisfaction.

• Life satisfaction, health and well-being. This section includes analysis on how persistent are some health problems, and social capital deficits.

• The incidence and factors associated with personal credit card debt. Relatively few people are found to have high levels of credit card debt that would cause them financial difficulty. Analysis also showed that characteristics of individuals, including their financial circumstances, are not good predictors of getting into credit card difficulty. The characteristic that most distinguishes those in credit card trouble is a history of credit card trouble: 29% of those in difficulty in 2006 were found to have also been in difficulty in 2002, compared with only 3% of people who were not in credit card difficulty in 2006. "

Link to the complete report.

Quite a bit under average when it comes to household worth, but hey I'm young and I'm working on it :)

Don't forget the survey in the OP finished in 2006, well before we've seen shares, super and some real estate take a dive.

Few interesting tit bits regarding household worth:
While the mean household net worth in NSW in 2005-06 was $632,400, the median was substantially lower at $381,000. As with income, this difference reflects the asymmetric distribution of wealth between households, where a relatively small proportion of households have high net worth and a relatively large number of households have lower net worth.
ABS

In contrast to the robust growth in household income over 2008, household net worth is estimated to have fallen by around 10 per cent, the largest annual decline in several decades. After peaking at more than 6½ times household disposable income in late 2007, net worth is now closer to 5 times income, around the same as in 2000.
RBA

Attachments

• graph_62.gif
    graph_62.gif
    30.6 KB · Views: 92
From Aunty

Average household now worth $665,000: study

A major study into Australian households has found wealth surged by more than a third from 2002 to 2006.

The Melbourne Institute's Living in Australia study shows households' average net wealth climbed from $494,000 to $665,00 during the period.

The increase was driven by a sharp rise in the value of houses and superannuation.

Senior research fellow at the Institute Dr Roger Wilkins says the survey shows the rise in wealth over that time was equally shared.

"Wealth is - it should be stated at the outset - very unequally distributed; much more unequally distributed than income," he said.

"But having said that, there was no increase in inequality of wealth between 2002 and 2006, so the gains that we saw over that period were very widely distributed."

There are lots of other stuff for those looking at factors influencing the property market in this report like:

"The latest statistical report covers a huge breadth of data from six waves of the HILDA Survey and contains articles on key aspects of life in Australia, including:

• Households and family life — including changes in marital status and child care issues. In all six years of the HILDA Survey, women reported substantially higher levels of parenting stress than men, and lone mothers had higher stress levels than partnered mothers. In 2006, 45 per cent of households with children aged under 15 used work-related child care, and the most common problem was finding care for a sick child, as reported by almost 40% of lone-parent households.

• Incomes and economic well-being. This includes measures of relative poverty, welfare reliance and financial stress, household consumption expenditure, and income mobility — being the extent to which households moved up or down the national income distribution scale.

• Labour market outcomes — which includes wage changes, job mobility, hours worked, jobless households and job satisfaction.

• Life satisfaction, health and well-being. This section includes analysis on how persistent are some health problems, and social capital deficits.

• The incidence and factors associated with personal credit card debt. Relatively few people are found to have high levels of credit card debt that would cause them financial difficulty. Analysis also showed that characteristics of individuals, including their financial circumstances, are not good predictors of getting into credit card difficulty. The characteristic that most distinguishes those in credit card trouble is a history of credit card trouble: 29% of those in difficulty in 2006 were found to have also been in difficulty in 2002, compared with only 3% of people who were not in credit card difficulty in 2006. "

Link to the complete report.

Based on this nett worth report - we are above average ( I don't include super in this equation).
Based on average wages (assuming $55k approx) we are average.
Based on what I perceive to be the majority of PAYE earners here from reading posts and reading between the lines, very below average.

On the c/c debt issue; I suspect many people would be embarassed to admit their real position.

yes, i'm a round peg in a round hole, in fact, i strive to be, just so i don't stick out, or do anything rash, or speed, or offend anyone, or miss a car payment....

completely average here. move along, nothing more to see...

yes, i'm a round peg in a round hole, in fact, i strive to be, just so i don't stick out, or do anything rash, or speed, or offend anyone, or miss a car payment....

completely average here. move along, nothing more to see...

Agreed. To paraphrase Sun Tsu: The General who marches 1000 miles unopposed will arrive with his army in better condition than the one who marches 1 mile opposed.

It's a bit misleading to compare yourself to this "average". Most people's wealth is negative initially due to education costs, then increases throughout their life as they build assets, then finally decreases as they draw down their assets during retirement.

An overall "average" of $665,000 across all age groups is not really very meaningful - it depends what stage of life you're at. If a 20 year old had wealth of $665,000, this would be far, far above average. If a 60 year old had $665,000, this would be well under average.

I'm not! I don't have 2.3 kids and haven't been divorced 0.8 times. I have almost reached the statistical end of my time on earth but I have no intention of leaving you in peace any time soon. And none of my family have diabetes or asthma. I am far more intelligent than you guys :p and have a friend in Nigeria who will help me out, do you?

"Average", "median" and "mean" are absurdities when applied to individuals. This measuring and rating yourself against some imagined "success benchmark" is almost unique to SS. It rarely happens on the popular Shares chatsite and they have 100 times more posts.

How about..... "there are 20 men in the world who look like male models, and 3 billion what don't" :p

it's a phrase i recite to all my prissy frineds who worry about what they look like every waking second.

pithes them off royal, but they get the message.:rolleyes:

sometimes...

Back