Are you ready for Australia Day

I am ready for it, almost, we are having a party at my house.

On the menu.... well lamb of course, and other stuff.

Still sorting the music plays, its going to be nothing but Aussie legends
Cold Chisel, ACDC... any other suggestions

Purchased a hair band which has 2 whopping ozzie flags which light up, I am out to impress. Cost me all of $2.99 at the 2 dollar shop. I also purchased ribbons with mini Ozzie flags and will be placing them all around the front veranda.

How are you celebrating Australia Day?:)

Taking junior to her first horse show since before she broke her arm last year ... only took 3 hours to wash, braid, plait, spray and generally tart up the horse.

Oh - it's also our 13th wedding anniversary ... deliberately chosen so we can't forget the date - and always get a day off ... so we'll probably get a bacon and egg roll to celebrate.

A few blue ribbons would be nice too :D

On the menu.... well lamb of course...

Eating Lamb on Australia Day is a recent marketing campaign. There is nothing particularly "Australian" about it.

We should probably be eating 'roo. It's healthier.

If you're into sailing, there are a lot of sailing regattas on Australia Day. Usually the winners get to go to Sydney Town Hall for a trophy presentation by the Lord Mayor. My kids won in a junior class many years ago, it was fun. :)

If the kids wake up at their usual stupid hour I'll take them to the launch of the balloons at parra park. Otherwise we will just have a quiet day tinkering in the yard and watch the local fireworks in the evening.

I've started celebrating Austalia Day early...

Why?

Because tonight I watched the news..

I realised from the news that tomorrow when I wake up I'm going to be able to:

1.Wake up at my usual time and come on here and chew the fat with other folk, and pretty much say what I like (mods and reported posts notwithstanding) without fear of being arrested in the middle of the night and taken away to a prison for 20 years, or disappear forever for my opinions about stuff.
2. Walk down the street without fear of being attacked by a machete wielding extremist mob,
3. Drive down the road without fear of being blown up by some IED on the side of the road,
4. Wander around without being shot by police and/or burned to death by a stray Molotov cocktail,
5. Be able to drink a coffee in the morning sun, then drive down the road and play golf at 7.30am with 3 mates on the 3rd best public access golf course in Austalia and pay less than $100 for the privilege, then have a few beers after, sitting in the sun.
6. Drive home after golf and spend a few hours in our pool with my kids and wife, have a glass of wine or two, and enjoy the view of the bay from arguably one of the best houses in our suburb, despite never having been a rich person or being a high-income earner, knowing that by the end of this year our wealth may have gone up another couple of hundred grand thanks to our property market and the current and future property climate, and economy we enjoy,
7. Watch my wife drive off to work tomorrow afternoon for another shift, earning time and a half, plus an evening shift allowance and a change of shift allowance, while I stay at home in the safety and comforts of my home and spend time with my 3 kids and drink more wine, watch a bit of Foxtel on a big screen tv,
8. Know that I am going to be heading off to see the Big Bash at the MCG on Monday - one of the best sporting arenas in the world - with my 12 year old son and have a great day out in relative safety,
9. Know that an Indigenous lad who came from a very restricted upbringing can be (and has been) crowned the Austalian of the Year - Adam Goodes...

This is my view of Aus, this is what makes it great, and these are the opportunities we can all enjoy in this Country, and why it's my celebration of the best Country in the World.

And we need to fight like hell to keep it that way!!

Happy Aus Day, everyone.

Last edited:
Ahh Australia, the only country where we kill and eat our national emblem

Why wouldn't you eat them? Surely better than leaving millions in the paddock to rot? And there are millions culled every year. I don't eat roo by the way. Happy to feed it to the pets though.

See ya's.

Oh ok, love to hear a bit more on this. I never knew...:confused:

Its been an ongoing campaign for at least 3 years now, good marketing.

Roo is leaner, I guess that's why it is considered healthier.

Who cares, you could go seafood as long as you celebrate IMO;)

So true Marc.

I'll be painting another bedroom or two at the townhouse before the new guests arrive on Tuesday. Barbeque lamb on Monday with the progeny.

I've started celebrating Austalia Day early...

Why?

Because tonight I watched the news..

I realised from the news that tomorrow when I wake up I'm going to be able to:

1.Wake up at my usual time and come on here and chew the fat with other folk, and pretty much say what I like (mods and reported posts notwithstanding) without fear of being arrested in the middle of the night and taken away to a prison for 20 years, or disappear forever for my opinions about stuff.
2. Walk down the street without fear of being attacked by a machete wielding extremist mob,
3. Drive down the road without fear of being blown up by some IED on the side of the road,
4. Wander around without being shot by police and/or burned to death by a stray Molotov cocktail,
5. Be able to drink a coffee in the morning sun, then drive down the road and play golf at 7.30am with 3 mates on the 3rd best public access golf course in Austalia and pay less than $100 for the privilege, then have a few beers after, sitting in the sun.
6. Drive home after golf and spend a few hours in our pool with my kids and wife, have a glass of wine or two, and enjoy the view of the bay from arguably one of the best houses in our suburb, despite never having been a rich person or being a high-income earner, knowing that by the end of this year our wealth may have gone up another couple of hundred grand thanks to our property market and the current and future property climate, and economy we enjoy,
7. Watch my wife drive off to work tomorrow afternoon for another shift, earning time and a half, plus an evening shift allowance and a change of shift allowance, while I stay at home in the safety and comforts of my home and spend time with my 3 kids and drink more wine, watch a bit of Foxtel on a big screen tv,
8. Know that I am going to be heading off to see the Big Bash at the MCG on Monday - one of the best sporting arenas in the world - with my 12 year old son and have a great day out in relative safety,
9. Know that an Indigenous lad who came from a very restricted upbringing can be (and has been) crowned the Austalian of the Year - Adam Goodes...

This is my view of Aus, this is what makes it great, and these are the opportunities we can all enjoy in this Country, and why it's my celebration of the best Country in the World.

And we need to fight like hell to keep it that way!!

Happy Aus Day, everyone.

I think you summed it up nicely, whenever I come back home from an o/seas trip I gotta pinch myself, we Aussies won lotto everyday.:)

Ahh Australia, the only country where we kill and eat our national emblem

Yes it's sick. The Chinese don't eat panda and the Americans don't eat bald eagles. People overseas don't believe we eat kangaroo so now I tell them we also eat koala sausages and grilled dolphin. They think we're barbarians. I'm a great ambassador :D

If the kids wake up at their usual stupid hour I'll take them to the launch of the balloons at parra park. Otherwise we will just have a quiet day tinkering in the yard and watch the local fireworks in the evening.
Mass balloon ascension is at 6am! Seriously... why so early?

Back