Areas of Advantage / Disadvantage - Maps

Hi all,

I have recently been doing some demographics and population health stuff at work, using census data and MapInfo. We are currently collaborating with various health providers, so as a result I have tons of census data in a number of areas.

People often mention an interest in buying in certain areas / avoiding lower socioeconomic areas / where to buy to avoid crime etc. So I thought, seeing I have a fair bit of this data (and a boring week ahead at work :) ) I'd see if I could map some of these things in a way that might be useful.

First cab off the rank, I've knocked up a few maps detailing the SEIFA Advantage / Disadvantage score for postcode.

The Socio-Economic Index for areas 2001 (SEIFA) is derived from the 2001 Census of Population and Housing, and provides a range of measures to summarise aspects of the level of socio-economic wellbeing in an area. One measure is the Advantage / Disadvantage index:

“a continuum of advantage to disadvantage and is available for both urban and rural areas. Low values indicate areas of disadvantage, and high values indicate areas of advantage. It takes into account variables relating to income, education, occupation, wealth and living conditions.”

Australian Bureau of Statistics. Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas 2001: a comprehensive profile of the Australian People. Canberra: ABS.

The baseline score for the index is 1,000, which is the median for all Australia. Ive chosen this index because it is actually a combination of the other individual indices (income, education etc). The higher the score, the more advantaged a suburb is based on the above factors.

Below are the maps I created for Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne detailing the Advantage / Disadvantage scores for each postcode. When I get a chance (tonight or sometime tomorrow) I'll finish doing them for each of the other state capitals. I'm still fiddling with the scale and shading, so if I decide to change anything on the current maps I'll update them here. Its quite hard to get the right combination on the scale to encompass a lot of suburbs while still detailing the differences between them.

The maps are based on the 2001 census - until late next year when the 2006 census data is out, it is the most recent data I have. As such, the maps can only detail what is in the data. If areas have gone through gentrification, population changes etc recently, then this will not show up.

Once I've finished the advantage index maps, I'll see what other interesting things I can come up with. A few might be things like employment, crime, housing stats etc.

Firstly, before I start doing more, are these things that people might find useful?

I might also take requests if people can provide data they have - for instance, if someone has median price movements for certain suburbs / cities over time, I can map those. They would be much like the ones in past issues of API, but could be more interactive and current (if the data is), and go into greater detail.

Anyway, post away if you have any thoughts on anything above. The maps will have scaled in the post and some postcodes might be hard to see, but are available full size in the photo gallery if you want to save any to your own hard drive.

Jamie.

SYD_SEIFA_Adv.jpg

MEL_SEIFA_Adv.jpg

BNE_SEIFA_Adv.jpg

That's nice work Jamie.

Would be interested in crime rates for different suburbs.

ie. in the lower socio-economic areas are there higher crime rates?

GSJ

Thanks Jamie, very very interesting.

These maps are most useful as a rough guide for the interstate or overseas investor to get a general idea of the most and least desirable suburbs.

My main problem with SEIFA is that it's a composite index of general 'welloffness' of existing resident populations in the area.

It doesn't say much about who is moving in and who is moving out. Looking at SEIFA trends over time could be useful, so we can identify gentrifying and degentrifying suburbs. But until the 2006 stats come out it's ancient history (and one property cycle ago!).

However I suspect that composite indexes obscure as much as they reveal and doing such an exercise with a series of single indicators such as average incomes or education levels might be more helpful.

Another issue is that the areas are too big. There are lovely pockets in 'low socio-economic' areas and vice versa. Sometimes just turning the corner can make the difference between riverside privately-owned tree-lined streets and ex-commission cement homes in untidy yards.

There are also limitations on the use of such info and its relevance for investors and their strategy.

Eg I'd rather buy a home at 20% below normal market value in a 'poor' area than pay 20% above value in a 'rich' area, since the latter will require several years of growth just to 'break even'.

Buying in a poorer outer area where all houses are pretty much the same has a grave risk of over-capitalising any renovations (since the interquartile range of home prices is low), but on the other hand, if you can get a good land component (which is affordable in such areas) then the poorer area might be a future development prospect.

So although I've pored over these sorts of statistics and I find them engrossing, too heavy reliance on them can lead one to lose sight of the need to consider each property inspected on its merits, what you can do to it and what it can do for you.

Peter

Don't disagree at all Peter. I mentioned above that the data was from 2001, and that it was difficult to map because the scale had to be set wide to show a lot of suburbs. I do think graphically, though, it shows up some interesting things that aren't evident by reading spreadsheets.

The reason I used a SEIFA index is that creating the maps takes a fair bit of prep work linking census spreadsheets with spatial data, and I had already done the SEIFA linking for NSW Health. Im planning on doing more for different variables, including some you mentioned.

It would also be useful if people had good data I could use - quarterly price movements for a given area, changes in rents etc. My point was, its possible to create maps on just about anything provided the data is there - usually, its pretty pricey though (we used to pay hundreds for decent population health maps at work)

Im offering to do it for free :D if its something that will benefit everyone here.

On that note, I've finished the advantage / disadvantage maps for other capitals (except for Darwin - too few postcodes for a meaningful map)

SA_SEIFA_Adv.jpg

WA_SEIFA_Adv.jpg

TAS_SEIFA_Adv.jpg

Jamie.

Thanks Jamie.

No Canberra?

But I guess the national capital is not a state capital.

But then, neither is Darwin on the same measure :confused:

Back