Asbestos under lino

Was it common 30-40 years ago for lino to have an asbestos lining?

We suspected ours might and upon cutting there was white fiber.
However the boys (family!) I was with said 'who cares' and ripped it up anyway. I felt sick at the sight of them doing this...

If it was asbestos what are the chances of one off exposure causing damage?

Is there a way I can get the material tested/looked at for free in order to determine if it is asbestos?

Yep, vinyl flooring often contained asbestos. I think we all be horrified if we knew how wide the use of asbestos was - fibro sheets are just the most obvious.
I don't know what the risks are from the asbestos used in flooring and whether in ripping it up it would become airborne. There may be minimal risk.
Someone here will have a link about how to get stuff tested. Or maybe have a look at the EPA site.
Scott

I'm so angry and upset that they did this. I will be worried forever now :(:mad:

I will a company, we need to have it removed anyway...

I suspect all of us who have renovated the odd house (or just lived in a city) have been exposed to asbestos and lead and who knows what else. Just because that floor MAY have had asbestos in it doesn't automatically mean that anyone has been at much risk. Remember, old fibro sheeting is fine till it is cut, or drilled, or broken in a way that particles enter the air. Ripping up old lino may not cause any problems. But everyone (me included) needs to be aware that doing anything to old houses can pose risks.
Scott

In our first home (built 1974) we had lino tiles installed, yes, they were asbestos.
ANYTHING prior to 1990 is suspect in my eyes.
Marg

I agree with marg4000 and depreciator. I have an asbestos licence and anything pre 1990 should be viewed as suspect. I remember smashing fibro up as a kid and also in many renos 20-30 years ago so if I've got it then its a done deal and no point in worrying about it.
I still put on all the gear and do it right when removing it, don't need to tempt fate if I don't have any, and I sure don't want to spread it around the job.
Ive met alot of ppl who have been exposed to it and some are ok, some are dying from it. I think its abit like smoking, some will smoke a pack a day and live to 100, others will die from the effects of passive smoking. The main thing is to treat it with caution, wet it down if necessary/practical and don't use a normal vacuum on it.
If I want to test it I get a small sample, about a fingernail size, put it into a sandwich bag and take it into 'Parsons Brinckerhoff' in Brissy. They send a faxed report in 2 days for $38. Probable similar prices in Syd, their site is http://www.pb.com.au give them a call and see.

Chris

apparantly also common in underlay - they use to mulch up the hessian bags that the asbestos was transported in and obviously a lot of asbestos was caught up in it. horrible stuff.

Back