ASX good value?

Deltaberry,

I was referring to this post which suggested to me you were talking about a bit more than changes in substantial holdings which is publicly available information....

How do you know that? Do you have access to the share registry ;)

Deltaberry,

I was referring to this post which suggested to me you were talking about a bit more than changes in substantial holdings which is publicly available information....

I think this person was trying to ask whether I was was misusing information, which of course I wasn't.

Looking at the chart below I can only imagine that behind closed doors at the RBA & Aus Treasury, the view of the worlds future is pretty bleak.

AvUS.jpg

- The ASX200 (^AXJO) started underperforming the S&P500 (^GSPC) beginning Oct 2010
- AUD/USD went above parity in Oct 2010
- The housing market (not shown) peaked at the same time

Traditionally Australia major markets (shares & property) would be bought or sold off at different times, but now they are being sold off together. The inference is that our interest rate policy is the reason. It's not a matter of the direction of rates as such, while Europe has a 1pc policy, the US has a ZIRP, & we cant match that, things are unlikely to change.

Add Swann's budget balance tightening to the equation, & we will be the most financially responsible country in our trading group. Our markets will continue to suffer by comparison to those less responsible, until either we become less responsible or they hit the bottom.

Last time I looked we are not in a bull market. In fact six stocks make up 50% of the ASX [heard it said tonight] and that six are drifting since their relative recovery from the '08 crash.

The "market" has held fairly steady though, so there must be a bull market somewhere else. That's in the small end of town and that is not the place for buy'n'hold.

Livermore would love this market but Buffett is struggling on a % basis.

According to the Fool

The ten largest listed Australian stocks constitute over 50 percent of the ASX 200 index. In other words, the remaining 190 companies make up the other 50 percent.

Over the last 12 months, the ten stocks listed below have slightly outperformed the ASX 200 index, falling just 8.7%, while the index fell 10.1% (excluding dividends).

The top ten stocks

So, without further ado, here are the top ten stocks.

BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP),
Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ASX: CBA),
Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC),
Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ASX: ANZ),
National Australia Bank (ASX: NAB),
Telstra Limited (ASX: TLS),
Wesfarmers Limited (ASX: WES),
Woolworths Limited (ASX: WOW),
Rio Tinto (ASX: RIO) and
Newcrest Mining Ltd (ASX:NCM).

source

Sunfish said:
Livermore would love this market but Buffett is struggling on a % basis.

I was recently reading this regarding the the Annual Returns By Year - Total and Annualized Returns from 1999 through 2010 for Berkshire

1999 -19.90%
2000 26.60%
2001 6.50%
2002 -3.80%
2003 15.80%
2004 5.90%
2005 -0.70%
2006 23.30%
2007 28.70%
2008 -31.80%
2009 2.70%
2010 21.42%
2011 -4.73%

Total Return since 1/1/1999

62.9%

Average Annual Return

4.0%

I know that you shouldn't buy the market and should look for value in individual shares (much like property), but I was looking at the relative performance of share markets around the world and noticed quite a wide discrepancy in relative performance since the GFC.

Looking at current share prices compared to their peaks in late 2007, the ASX is one of the worst performers in terms of recovery with only the Nikkei fairing worse:

Nikkei: -48%
ASX: -37%
HSI: -28%
DAX: -14%
FTSE: -12%
S&P500: -12%

The result feels counter intuitive - China and Australia are in better economic shape than Europe / US yet their share markets appear to have rebounded most effectively.

Any economists out there able to put forward a hypothesis as to why? Is the ASX likely to recover in a similar manner to the US / Europe and therefore represent good value in relative terms? Should we be stocking up? (Pardon the pun).

Is the ZIRP / low IR settings in the US and Europe enough to explain the difference?

Well, made a 20%+ total return 2012 so I guess the answer was yes.

Hoping for a similar result in 2013 if IRs continue to track downward.

Looking at the chart below I can only imagine that behind closed doors at the RBA & Aus Treasury, the view of the worlds future is pretty bleak.

AvUS.jpg

- The ASX200 (^AXJO) started underperforming the S&P500 (^GSPC) beginning Oct 2010
- AUD/USD went above parity in Oct 2010
- The housing market (not shown) peaked at the same time

Traditionally Australia major markets (shares & property) would be bought or sold off at different times, but now they are being sold off together. The inference is that our interest rate policy is the reason. It's not a matter of the direction of rates as such, while Europe has a 1pc policy, the US has a ZIRP, & we cant match that, things are unlikely to change.

Add Swann's budget balance tightening to the equation, & we will be the most financially responsible country in our trading group. Our markets will continue to suffer by comparison to those less responsible, until either we become less responsible or they hit the bottom.

Hey toe and pom!

Of course on the above chart the asx200 is underperforming the US. You need to compare the ASX accumulation index to get a real comparison!!!

With US taxation rules the majority of the larger companies hoard vast amounts of cash in capital and dont pay it out to shareholders, because its more tax effective for shareholders to get CG rather then be paid it in dividends. We are the opposite, our companies dont hoard cash, because as shareholders its more tax effective to use the franking credits and get the dividends. This emphasis on CG means that if your comparing the straight index against index of the various markets overseas against the ASX often times it will look like the ASX is not performing aswell. It's quite crazy when you realise the effect franking credits have not just on a stockmarket, but on an economy the effect is quite significant. (increased distribution of capital)

The accumulation index takes into account total return (div distributions + current market value) so is a much fairer comparison (assuming you compare it with another overseas accumulation index of course.

This emphasis on CG means that if your comparing the straight index against index of the various markets overseas against the ASX often times it will look like the ASX is not performing aswell. It's quite crazy when you realise the effect franking credits have not just on a stockmarket, but on an economy the effect is quite significant. (increased distribution of capital)
And what you will also see is "Franking Credits" and the div's play a big part in the buy and sell volumes prior to 2008 and now,because holding companies that have been through a rough time after 2008 and depending on how many years it takes for them to recover is not always a smart strategy..imho..

sorry but all this talk about birkshire, and the justification for investing in the company (ie buying shares), based on the 10 year historical return of the share price is completely IRRELEVANT

People will say yeah see even Birkshire's share price performance was pretty sub-standard, so all this talk of Buffett's 'genesis' is just bullocks.

But you are lookin at the wrong datapoint.

The key to assess Birkshire is to look at the MOVEMENT in its book value. Its up to you to assess what price to pay to purchase that book value.

Book value per share of Birkshire in 1999: $37,987
Book value per share of Birkshire in 2010: $95,453

Simple total return over 11 years: 250%

Source for data:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/255268-berkshire-hathaway-is-undervalued-on-a-price-book-value-basis

Dont know the accuracy of that data, havent bothered to check.

So the underlying company has generated a return of 250% over 11 years. A reasonable return given
(a) Birkshires size (the larger the harder to outperform)
(b) the various secular winds that the US has faced over the last 11 years.

So all one needs to really focus on, is what price to book value would you be prepared to pay for this type of growth.

If the market was overpaying back in 1999, then thats not my problem.

Hi IV

Welcome back

Buffett is Legend..wait for it..ary, I don't think anyone can doubt that :D

Class A shares apparently gained 17% in 2012 vs the S&P 500's 13%

These Class A shares currently sit at around $142,964.00

Hi IV

Welcome back

Buffett is Legend..wait for it..ary, I don't think anyone can doubt that :D

Class A shares apparently gained 17% in 2012 vs the S&P 500's 13%

These Class A shares currently sit at around $142,964.00

But you are still missing the point redwing. Dont look at share price movement, its only 'use' is as a guide as to whether to sell or buy.

Discussion needs to focus on book value and only then compare it to current market price to ascertain what to do with the underlying stock.

Focus of discusson should be focussed on how that BV will grow in the future. What is the future growth rate? How will size influence the growth rate? Are there any exciting new developments of a fundamental size that will influencethe growth in BV etc etc.

There are only two fundamental equations that will significantly influence the future share price performance of Berkshire:
(a) the current share price relative to current BV
(b) the future growt of that BV

Back