At the crossroads - critical decision. Your thoughts?

Hello everyone,

Apologies in advance for the long post, but I would really appreciate your view on this.

I find myself in a very challenging situation at the moment.

Here is the background:

Current income: ~ $87K + super
Future income prospects: ~ $100K + super (2-3 years). Max of about $120K possibly in 5 years, but that's about it.
Current savings: ~ $370K

Additional income: I have the option of taking up a secondary job that could make ~ $50K net per year. It would take up some of my time on the weekend, but hopefully not that much.

Essentially, I am in a very non-challenging job at the moment. It is not very high paying and does not have great future income prospects. However, the pay is still ok and the main drawcard is the flexibility I have at work and the fact that I will always have some time at work to put towards focusing on my investing.

I am a highly skilled and qualified individual, but am not working in my chosen career - one that if I pursued it, should pay quite handsomely (in the hundreds of thousands, possibly more). However, I have no experience in that industry and if i were to change careers, I would need to take a pay hit initially.

So here is the predicament:

- A job has just become available in Perth in my chosen career. This is extremely rare. It is literally the only opportunity likely to come up in the next 5 years. Basically, the choice is whether I apply for this and pursue this career or not.

And here is the problem:

- I'm not even sure I'll like the industry as I have not worked in it
- I will burn all bridges at my current job if I were to take the job (I already left once to pursue a job in that industry, but it was not the job that it was made out to be)
- I will take an immediate pay hit of probably around $10K minimum
- It is almost certain that I will take a massive hit to my free time and I highly doubt I will be able to spend any time at work focusing on putting my capital to good use.

So basically, the choice looks something like this:

1) Stay in my current, unfulfilling job. Earn a decent pay check, albeit with very limited future earning prospects (~$120K tops). Take up the second job and substantially increase my income. Focus all my efforts and energies on investing my existing capital and my income towards investing and becoming financially free.

2) Take the plunge and apply for the new job. Immerse myself in my new career, take a pretty big pay cut and a huge cut to my free time. Investing is likely to be put on the backburner, or at the very least, hardly get the attention it deserves as it will be very hard to find the free time. BUT, the income prospects of this job are potentially huge and I will have a far more rewarding career.

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading.

BLTN

EDIT: Additional info as requested:

- I'll be 27 this year, I am single and have no kids. However, I would like to find myself a girlfriend.

- My goal is to be financially free by 40. Broadly speaking, I want to build up enough wealth that my passive income is more than enough to live on.

Last edited:
Alot of people come to this stage in their lives with a view of changing career paths. Something new and exciting and fullfilling.

But with the job market as it is i think this would be a consideration only if you were offered the job as there could be alot of applications.

No harm in applying?

Cheers

How old are you, are you married or with a partner, do you have kids?

If you take the job and decide you have no free time or don't enjoy it, how easy is it to get another job.

Those things need to be considered.

I think you will get a full range of answers here and it is something only you can decide.

Time with young kids might not be important to you now, but it might become more important as time goes by. If you are a long way from having a partner and/or kids and wanting time with them, you could always give it a shot and stash all your earnings away until you need to review the decision.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Some additional info which I will add to the original post.

- I'll be 27 this year, I am single and have no kids. However, I would like to find myself a girlfriend.

- My goal is to be financially free by 40. Broadly speaking, I want to build up enough wealth that my passive income is more than enough to live on.

If you take the job and decide you have no free time or don't enjoy it, how easy is it to get another job.

Probably not that easy, especially in this job market. I could possibly return (again) to my current job, but this will heavily impact on my future earnings here.

What are your goals?
Which option will take you closer to your goals?
That is the answer.

Well this is the thing that I am trying to get clarity on - which would get me to my goals sooner? Earning a higher income now and investing more time and energy into investing? Or taking a big income (and time) hit now, but earning much bigger dollars in 5 years time? Considering I'm hoping to be able to retire by 40, the former seems like the better option.

But if I work until I'm 50 or 60, the latter seems like a better option. But that is all based on the assumption that I actually like the job!

No harm in applying?

No there isn't, but if my heart is not in it, it will show throughout the application process and I won't get the job anyway. And the application process can be quite arduous and time consuming.

yeh get your income up to a few hundred k and then you can get some decent investing happening. even if you don;t like the industry you can step into somehting else when you are ready, conmfortable in the knowledge that every day you deliberate on a move earns you a grand anyway

what sort of a legal job pays $1000 per weekend , while only taking up a few hours on your weekend?

Rest assured it is legal. Let's just say it is a job that requires you to stay in good shape and be very confident about your body...

It would probably be more than a few hours, but the point is it wouldn't take up the whole weekend.

It is probably important to point out that this income will be quite variable. I'm also not sure how long I will realistically be able to do this for (or want to do this for).

Immersing yourself in a new career earning less money for less free time to explore ways to retire by 40 or staying in your current position which pays (a quite reasonable salary) and gives you free time to explore other opportunities.

It's kind of a no brainer to me.

In this day and age with people being laid off and unemployment increasing here in the West, I'd go with option two.

Rest assured it is legal. Let's just say it is a job that requires you to stay in good shape and be very confident about your body...

It would probably be more than a few hours, but the point is it wouldn't take up the whole weekend.

It is probably important to point out that this income will be quite variable. I'm also not sure how long I will realistically be able to do this for (or want to do this for).

Gigolo??? :confused: :eek: :D

fair enough, that I do believe now

is it comic shop store clerk? :0

Gay for pay?

Immersing yourself in a new career earning less money for less free time to explore ways to retire by 40 or staying in your current position which pays (a quite reasonable salary) and gives you free time to explore other opportunities.

It's kind of a no brainer to me.

In this day and age with people being laid off and unemployment increasing here in the West, I'd go with option two.

Do you mean option 1 (stay with current job and focus on investing?)?

You're young, go for the higher paying job.

yeh get your income up to a few hundred k and then you can get some decent investing happening. even if you don;t like the industry you can step into somehting else when you are ready, conmfortable in the knowledge that every day you deliberate on a move earns you a grand anyway

The point is though, it will take me maybe 5 years to go there. By which time I'll be approaching mid 30's.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the money (and time) I have now to focus on pursuing my wealth creation?

If I was say 20, it would be a no brainer to go for option 2. But given I am getting towards 30, option 1 is looking more viable.

If I play on working for another 20+ years, then option 2 is still the way to go. But the whole point is that I want to be able to retire by 40.

You must have some idea of what a job in your 'chosen career' would be like?
I would go the 'fulfilling job' option.

Well, as mentioned earlier, I already took a job in this industry and it turned out to be completely different from what I was expecting. I don't think this is typical of the industry however.

So I'm not sure now what to expect now.

You haven't even got the job yet - all this worry could be over nothing. Apply for it and then if you get it consider it. Your feelings may be different then.

The point is though, it will take me maybe 5 years to go there. By which time I'll be approaching mid 30's.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the money (and time) I have now to focus on pursuing my wealth creation?

Well you haven't done much in terms of investing right now. What's the hold up? If you haven't done it yet, what makes you think you will do it if you stay here?

You haven't even got the job yet - all this worry could be over nothing. Apply for it and then if you get it consider it. Your feelings may be different then.

That is true, but I don't want to put all the time and effort into applying and interviews etc if I don't play on actually taking the job.

Regardless, I think I will take your advice and apply though.

Well you haven't done much in terms of investing right now. What's the hold up? If you haven't done it yet, what makes you think you will do it if you stay here?

Because I hadn't been focusing my efforts on it. I had been focusing my efforts on studying (for my afforementioned chosen career) which was ridiculously time intensive.

I am also very risk averse and had been burned years ago which cost me about $40K.

The point is that if I focus my efforts now, study investing and property rather than my career, with the capital I have and the reasonable income, I think I could be better off than if I changed careers and earned a larger income down the track, but didn't spend the time investing what I already have now.

The best of both worlds would be to do both - get the job and invest. But I strongly suspect the new job will be very time intensive (from talking to people who work there) and my ambitions to invest will be held back by time constraints.

I guess I won't know until I get the job. But at that point it would be too late to return to my existing job. So if I take this job, I will be completely ruling out option 1.

It is a massive risk - if I go for option 2 and it doesn't eventuate, I don't even have option 1 as a back up. Well, that isn't entirely true. I might be able to go back to my job, but I certainly won't be getting a pay rise for a long time and I will be languishing on a lower pay scale.

Back