At what age do you plan to be financially free?

At what age do you plan or were you financially free

• 20's

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 30's

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • 40's

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • 50's

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • I never want to be free of work!

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How old are you, how long you been investing? always had a specific goal? I've always had the goal of financial freedom and enjoy talking with likeminded folk, so, throw it out there! I'm sure we'll learn alot.

How old are you, how long you been investing? always had a specific goal? I've always had the goal of financial freedom and enjoy talking with likeminded folk, so, throw it out there! I'm sure we'll learn alot.

Hi there Investor2009, great thread!

I'm 27 and I'm aiming to be financially free by 35. I bought my first property in 2010, and I'm about to settle on number 4.

I'm not kidding myself that it's going to be easy, but I figure while I'm young, dependent free and earning a good stable wage I may as well acquire as much as possible now! Just trying to get some good deals, once this last property settles my portfolio should be neutral/very slightly positive.

Onya Eeho! Your goals and mindset sounds similar to myself. I figured why not go hard while I'm young and nothing to lose. I met my now Wife near the end of my aquisition stage and now things are a little different. I'll be 35-36 when we make it (well, make it in our own minds which means paying the mortgage off which frees us from work) We then have to start a new portfolio after selling off the old one to pay the loan off. But this time we'll be looking for positive deals instead of neg that keeps us cashflow poor.

In 3 years time our expenses will only be around $25,000 a year, but even so we have to invest our PPOR equity into the next investment phase for us, cashflow. Or continue to work a bit. I dare say we are going to work most of the time anyway because we'd like to pay off the pos CF prop(s) quickly just so we're more secure and lets face it, we're still young and I enjoy hitting goals. I can't just sit there all day but it's great to have the option! Plus it's not like we're rich or anything and I'd like to remain high "above average" financially, working can help us hit those targets, sooner. Or, whatever

I'm 32 by the way, been investing for 7 years, 9 if you include saving the first deposit, and have been making more than my annual salary every year in investment equity. Not cashflow but CG is what I'm after

Hey

I'm 32 now and I've been buying property since I was 20 but I've had an interest in investing (especially property) since a very young age. Right now I own a few shares and one IP that I purchased in 2010 which is fully paid off (well, the cash is in the offset) and I'm looking for a PPOR at the moment, this will be a pretty big spend and it's been taking us a while to find the right property so the investing has been on hold for the past 18 months. Really looking forward to finding the right PPOR so I know what my commitments are and can get back to investing!

Hoping to be financially free by the age 55, for me being financially free means having an after tax income of $100k (in today's dollars), a holiday house on the beach, a PPOR and having 3 kids out of education. I like to set realistic goals and I reckon we can get there by 55 but I can't imagine ever stopping work completely.

financially free looking like 36 or so (am 31 in august) but will get rid of the day to day grind in 18-24 months from now and focus on various investments/developments

I hope to have ten IPs (either CF neutral or positive) by 35 and to be semi-retired (working 3 days a week or less) by 40. After that, who knows :p

Aiming for 40.

Currently 27, started investing a year ago, about 3 properties now with a WHOLE lot of debt.

Need to get into a more 'active' role to see some real profits and realised my goal. As for actually leaving work... never, will continue to do so in one form or another. I really enjoy it.

It was going to be in my 40s but I'm fastracking a little with my acquisitions last year.

I have 21 mths left in my 30s and I think I can make it :D

I'll still have the debt monster but be free enough to work for myself developing.

37 now been investing about 10 years, but only gone hard in the last few years.
We have about 10, owe about 5 1/2.
Want to sell our biz in a couple of years, may get 2 from that, + 2 more years of earnings.
Can't just stop now, or everything will just fall apart.
So looking to exit forced work definitely by 40.
That's when the real earnings will begin...

I'm 37 and had hoped to retire from being an employee at 40. Unfortunately life threw us a few curve balls a few years back which stopped our ability to rapidly acquire more IPs. Depending on the next 6 months, early 40s could still work if I have the confidence to take a few calculated risks.

25 next month! Purchase 1st IP a year ago, hoping to sign contract on #3 this month.

Plan to be financially free by 45 (gives me 20years, hopefully a few good property cycles). All purchases will be cash flow + unless they have development/reno potentional.

Looking to have $100k p.a (todays money).

37 and already there by any reasonable measure.

Still working though. My work just got a whole lot more interesting again with a new job. Exciting and important stuff (to us at least) but I'm really torn between doing this and spending more time with the family while the kids are still young. We'll never get that time back...

If I hated my work the decision would be easy. If my work wasn't important to us the decision would be easy. As it is, this decision is the hardest I have ever had to make. It helps a little that the bank will let us keep buying stuff if I keep at it.

White men's problems... :eek:

I turned 40 earlier this year :eek:

I'm aiming to retire in about 10 years, but will take it as it comes. Generally love my job, but who knows what the future holds.

Currently have 3 properties - 2 ips bought in 2011. Looking to pay down some debt, particularly PPOR, before buying again.

I'm 25, currently hold 2 ip's, been investing for about 18 months. I'm aiming to be out doing my own developing/renovating etc by 35. Also want to do an overseas trip every 2 year's whilst working towards my goal. Could be abit far fetched, but you gotta dream big :D first trip to Europe is in 2 months so I'm on track lol

Back