ATO's mistake - Now we have to pay 4 years worth of Land Tax.

I won't get into the details, apart from saying the ATO stuffed up and that we have had to pay 4 years worth of "Catch up" Land Tax this financial year.

My question is, can we claim all of the Land Tax payments we made this year(for the previous years) in this year's Tax return?

Thanks.

We hadn't registered with the OSR so received 3 years' worth of land tax to pay last year. It all wasn't able to be claimed in that year, even though we had paid it in that year. Our accountant had to file variations for our tax returns for the past 3 years to obtain a tax deduction that should've been payable in the previous years.

Not sure if it is was the ATO or SRO that made the error. Basically, several properties that are jointly owned by my wife and I, were registered with the ATO\SRO as being jointly owned by myself and another person, who had the same name as my wife. Not sure how they stuffed that one up, but probably a computer glitch while moving data around.

I didn't contest not paying it, as I probably would have been made to pay it, even if it was their fault.

Not sure if it is was the ATO or SRO that made the error. Basically, several properties that are jointly owned by my wife and I, were registered with the ATO\SRO as being jointly owned by myself and another person, who had the same name as my wife. Not sure how they stuffed that one up, but probably a computer glitch while moving data around.

I didn't contest not paying it, as I probably would have been made to pay it, even if it was their fault.

Ok if its only land tax owed read beachgurl's post, above

If it was their stuff up then at least you should appeal the penalty interest that they will have charged you.

Cheers

If its a land tax problem, then its the OSR's fault, not the ATO. Land tax is a state tax. The ATO deals with Commonwealth tax issues, not state taxes.

With regard to land tax the onus is on you to advise OSR. That said tit is unlikely you'll attract penalties if you fess up to them. On the other hand if they catch you out then their are.

With regard to land tax the onus is on you to advise OSR. That said tit is unlikely you'll attract penalties if you fess up to them. On the other hand if they catch you out then their are.

Why is that?
They already know what properties we have because we pay stamp duty when we buy a property.
I never tell them and they never forget to send me payment notices

Why is that?
They already know what properties we have because we pay stamp duty when we buy a property.
I never tell them and they never forget to send me payment notices

I'd like to hear a common sense answer to this also - it is a tad ridiculous sounding

I'd like to hear a common sense answer to this also - it is a tad ridiculous sounding

I just got of fthe phone to OSR in WA

Due to the fact that I have different spellings on my first name on different ID's, they never lumped me together as 1 person.

They have now

I should expect a $50 - $60 odd bill later this year.

It is to protect the revenue base. If the government was responsible for informing of itself that a person is liable for land tax and they fail to notify itself, you'll have an argument to not pay land tax for the relevant year even though you are liable for land tax. If the onus is on the landholder to register for landtax then there are less arguments to get out of paying land tax as the SRO (or other authorities) aren't resposible for registering a landholder for land tax.

It is to protect the revenue base. If the government was responsible for informing of itself that a person is liable for land tax and they fail to notify itself, you'll have an argument to not pay land tax for the relevant year even though you are liable for land tax. If the onus is on the landholder to register for landtax then there are less arguments to get out of paying land tax as the SRO (or other authorities) aren't resposible for registering a landholder for land tax.

Oh yeah, sure, that makes perfect sense :confused::confused:

Apparently.. .sometimes.....

Other tinmes.,.. they link your details toghhether by asking for the relevant details...

like medicare # if relevant
like tax number if relevant

To me it sounds a bit more like someone just forgot to connect the dots on this one .. and now.... why shoudl anyone do it "It's not my job"

Back