Attn: Car people - Backloading Car Bris to Per

Can anyone recommend a company to back load so I can get some quotes.

My hubby and parents think I should ditch my car - not worth expense to truck over.

It's a 97 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia. I spent $3000 buying it almost a year ago, full roadworthy certificate - Pretty good condition, needs new suspension, possibly brakes, due for service. 110,000 k's. I've been looking at cars in WA - I think they are overpriced - 1 reason being that you don't need a roadworthy to sell. Is that sticky tape on the steering wheel of a ford Fairmont with twice as many K's?? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hocking/cars-vans-utes/1997-el-ford-falcon-fairmont/1009956905
Yucky! I really don't think you can buy a decent car in Perth for under $5000 - please correct me if I'm wrong!!

I've used CEVA - no backloading to Perth available though - too many people coming here!
It cost me $1500 (or was it $1000) to get it from Ipswich to Perth

Can anyone recommend a company to back load so I can get some quotes.

My hubby and parents think I should ditch my car - not worth expense to truck over.

It's a 97 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia. I spent $3000 buying it almost a year ago, full roadworthy certificate - Pretty good condition, needs new suspension, possibly brakes, due for service. 110,000 k's. I've been looking at cars in WA - I think they are overpriced - 1 reason being that you don't need a roadworthy to sell. Is that sticky tape on the steering wheel of a ford Fairmont with twice as many K's?? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hocking/cars-vans-utes/1997-el-ford-falcon-fairmont/1009956905
Yucky! I really don't think you can buy a decent car in Perth for under $5000 - please correct me if I'm wrong!!

You also need to be sure that it will pass pit inspection or you will be up for the price of the new suspension etc. You have until the QLD rego runs out to put it over the pits here (costs about $80).
However I found with my car that the rego in WA was cheaper so it made sense to give up the QLD rego and get the credit for remaining time.

I really don't like that in WA you don't need roadworthy to sell a car, so you could be buying something that needs a lot of money spent on it. I had been looking at shipping containers also, but think I'll get more individual quotes for car/boxes. I noticed there is heaps of shipping containers in Perth already that they want people to backload over east so your right Westminster, most likely pay top dollar to get stuff there. May look at selling/getting rid of more stuff here.

Put up an ad asking if someone wants to drive it over...?

How much money needs to be spent to get it up to scratch? If you need to spend $2000, for example, which a major service, brakes and suspension could run to, plus you have to spend another $1500 getting it over there, then it may well be worth selling it for whatever you can get and putting that money towards another car.

Looking on carsales, you should be able to get a reasonable falcadore for 6 or 7 grand that will be ten or so years old with not too many kms.

Just drive it. 5 day road trip!

Put up an ad asking if someone wants to drive it over...?

How much money needs to be spent to get it up to scratch? If you need to spend $2000, for example, which a major service, brakes and suspension could run to, plus you have to spend another $1500 getting it over there, then it may well be worth selling it for whatever you can get and putting that money towards another car.

Looking on carsales, you should be able to get a reasonable falcadore for 6 or 7 grand that will be ten or so years old with not too many kms.
Yes it's all lots of $$$ no matter which option. So expensive moving around! We just spent $1500 on major service for hubbies EL to drive it over and towing trailer. my dad has offered to buy my car for $2000 plus pay all expenses to get it roadworthy. It was all roadworthy in feb this year so hopefully not too much effort to get another certificate. Met someone else - taxi driver who loves EL's and wanted to buy it also. He'd done over 300000k's in his. Maybe I should upgrade!

my sirion!

2001, 149k on the clock.

full service history, new tyres, perfect interior, minor bingles here and there.

$2700 with rego due.

Last day of school in bris today so bolting off to do Chrissy shopping. Have no idea what sort of car that is but will look it up later!!

I really don't like that in WA you don't need roadworthy to sell a car, so you could be buying something that needs a lot of money spent on it. I had been looking at shipping containers also, but think I'll get more individual quotes for car/boxes. I noticed there is heaps of shipping containers in Perth already that they want people to backload over east so your right Westminster, most likely pay top dollar to get stuff there. May look at selling/getting rid of more stuff here.

It is definitely Caveat Emptor here when buying cars in WA.

As you have also noticed cars are more expensive too because:
a. stamp duty on cars is often more here
b. smaller market for cars, no easy boarder hop to get a bigger market
c. we are all so damn rich here and have gold lined cars :cool:

Before my lease car I bought my car from Ipswich - it was a second hand Subie Tribeca - I paid QLD stamp duty on it, registered it in my name, then transported it over. Ran if over the pits and got WA rego and number plates. Best decision ever as the QLD stamp duty was a significant saving and I got to pay Eastern Seaboard second hand prices (saving of approx 20%). It's only really worthwhile doing it though for cars over $30k.

My 'new to me' car came on the car trailer to my house on 6am 22nd March 2010, I proudly drove it to work, parked it outside in the open air car park and ........... it got hit by Perth's biggest ever hail storm :eek::eek: Thankfully I had arranged insurance before it left Ipswich even though CEVA was insuring it for the for the trip. It got a bit of golfballing and wasn't written off but it did take the joy off my new car.

PS If you send a car over with CEVA etc you aren't allowed to fill it full of boxes - it needs to be empty and supposedly 1/4 tank of fuel (I sent mine with a full tank)

INVSTOR

Check out rail prices to freight over. The following information may only apply to pensioners who have a Gold Pass who purchase a train ticket over but a couple told us they put their car on the train and they came over as passengers and it cost less than $300.

The husband said to get the car back to Sydney should be cheaper. When people tell us things we always think there is a catch eg he worked for the rail company but you never know.

Regards
Sheryn

INVSTOR

Check out rail prices to freight over. The following information may only apply to pensioners who have a Gold Pass who purchase a train ticket over but a couple told us they put their car on the train and they came over as passengers and it cost less than $300.

The husband said to get the car back to Sydney should be cheaper. When people tell us things we always think there is a catch eg he worked for the rail company but you never know.

Regards
Sheryn
Thanks Sheryn, I thought of that earlier but been so swamped with decisions I forgot about it. Will look into it.
I'll drive it over for you for the cost of a flight back home.

When does it need to be there?
Thanks for the offer, tempting though a bit scary after my last experience. I'm now having a guilt complex about not letting my hubby drive it over. He drove the other EL over to Bris 2 years ago when it had about 110,000k's also. I didn't drive with him and my brand new muffler had a massive hole in it, he mentioned something about accidently running over a big rock when he went to check out the Nullabour Caves. And he accidently crashed the trailer into the bumper while reversing, I asked him not to tell me anymore about his adventures as the car never quite felt the same after that! :p

It is definitely Caveat Emptor here when buying cars in WA.

As you have also noticed cars are more expensive too because:
a. stamp duty on cars is often more here
b. smaller market for cars, no easy boarder hop to get a bigger market
c. we are all so damn rich here and have gold lined cars :cool:

PS If you send a car over with CEVA etc you aren't allowed to fill it full of boxes - it needs to be empty and supposedly 1/4 tank of fuel (I sent mine with a full tank)

Yes, I noticed years ago cars for $7000 in WA would be advertised for about $5000 in Qld. The last time I spent $7000 on a fairmont in WA, I had to spend a further $2500 in the first year. It was a bomb!! My sister in Bris actually bought a car for about that off ebay in WA. She had better luck than me though and her car was pretty good. She backloaded it to Bris by truck, I filled the boot with toys and clothes, but yes you are right, your not really meant to.

As soon as I saw the year of manufacture - '97 - alarm bells started in my head.

We have a joke about cars at my workshop;

"Below the yellow line" - (taken from the show "Biggest Loser whereby if you are blow the yellow line at the weigh-in you are up for elimination).

When we first introduced this joke, the BtYL date was 1993 - virtually every car we see with this date on it or earlier is a junk heap that really should be eliminated (crushed).

Maybe we get more than our fair share down our way?

However, in recent months (say; the last 12) we are seeing more and more and more cars which are BtYL with a build date of before '95. :eek:

'97 is precariously close to that mark, and I personally would never touch anything with that date on it - especially an Aussie car. Sorry.

Food for thought.

My 20 yr old vehicle (now with new owner) is still going great with over 500,000klm and still only the basic replaceables ever need doing.

I should imagine it's not the only "junk heap" that "needs to be crushed"

No joke!

My 20 yr old vehicle (now with new owner) is still going great with over 500,000klm and still only the basic replaceables ever need doing.

I should imagine it's not the only "junk heap" that "needs to be crushed"

No joke!
That's a terrific result.

Let me add that this is not the normal pattern that I see each week.

To anyone buying a car more than 15 years old; just keep in mind that the chances of having to spend in excess of $1k on repairs soon after you buy are very good.

This needs to be reflected in the purchase price and your budget to maintain it after purchase.

Fair enough too Marc.

I also know a bloke who,s 1985 Toyota Hilux is still going strong and I know it has done serious hard work but cared for at the same time.:cool:

Back